Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
TNl4dy88

Beginner, need some tips/help.

I am a beginner acoustic guitar player, i am going off a teach yourself to play guitar book and a couple youtube videos that show how. I am getting frustrated cause in the book the first 2 chords it teaches is the C Chord & G7 Chord. I have small hands and short fingers but i'm daily practicing these chords and i still feel so lost. Should i be doing other things? I have been playing these chords for about a week now and i feel like it isn't getting any better, i think my problem may be the way i'm using my left hand but ive researched like hell and it seems to be the right way.
TNl4dy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

The fact that you're using an acoustic may be the cause of some of your problems. Acoustic guitars generally have wider, thicker necks, which can make things a bit more difficult. On top of that, your technique may be wrong. Everyone always seems to think that what they are doing is right, but they're usually wrong. Post some pictures of how you hold the guitar and finger the chords. We'll be able to help a lot more with that.

Also, I think the C and G7 chords are a horrible starting place. Start off with E, A, Am, and D.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.

Last edited by Junior#1 : 07-01-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
TNl4dy88

Yeah this book starts with those. I am pretty sure my problem is with my wrist position and well probably the position of my left hand all together. i will post pictures in just a minute.
TNl4dy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:35 AM   #4
gtc83

Watch some Youtube videos and check out the wrist / hand position that the experienced guys use and copy that. And try learning a variety of chords, it gets awfully boring just working on two of them. Other chords are easier and once you master one it gives you a big boost of confidence that you can master the others as well.

And yeah, when you first start out just playing a simple chord can seem like the hardest thing in the world
gtc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
sdjknights

You need to sit up straight first of all. Once your hands are used to the stretching you can relax this kind of thing, slob out on your couch while you play, but for now you're best off sitting up straight.

Next, you need to make sure your thumb tip is (roughly) in the middle of the back of the neck; you don't want your thumb poking over the top, or flattened out on the back. This puts a lot of strain on it, which is why people relax it to the wrong positions, so if it starts to hurt, put your guitar down and rest.

Another common thing your body might try to do is dig your elbow into your side when you encounter something a bit tricky. If this happens, point it out the other direction - not excessively, just be aware that it shouldn't be digging into your side.

You should be aiming to get your fingers parallel to the frets. A lot of people try to do it at an odd angle where they're pointing down the neck. Another thing to note is when they flatten - they should ideally be arched so that they don't come into contact with other strings. Don't lose sleep over this though - it takes a lot of strength and practice - but if it happens, be aware that that is probably why the chord doesn't yet sound right.
sdjknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
sam2289

Just follow this free course:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-0...nnersCourse.php

It has everything that you need.
sam2289 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: