Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
covzi

Post Fast picking on low-e string

I am trying to learn songs like metal militia, fight fire with fire and similar....
I don't feel comfortable when i try to play these fast. I've been practicing this with a metronome for about 4 months and i can see very little progress. Can someone help?
covzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
Sickz
Jazz Musician

There are many things that have inpact on your technique. The most common things that hold people back in terms of the picking hand are:

1. Tensing up to much. Always play & practice relaxed, it makes it easier to play and you avoid the risk of injury.

2. How much pressure you put on the pick. You really don´t need to hold the pick that hard, just hard enough that it stays in place. If you hold the pick too hard you are tensing up the hand too much, which limits you.

3. The angle of the pick. The most common angle to pick in is either pretty horizontal or with a slight angle. Angling the pick backwards is not recommended.

4. How you practice. I mean when you are saying you have been practicing it for 4 months with a metronome that doesn´t really tell us anything about your practicing habits. Perhaps you practice way too tensed up or don´t take things like economy of motion andbreathing into consideration. Practice in itself doesn´t help you improve, sometimes it makes you worse if you have bad habits. Perfect practice is the way to improve.

5. How experienced you are. If you are somewhat new to guitar and you are trying to learn to alternate pick stuff like Metal Militia and Fight fire with fire comfortably, you are going to have a real tough time and it will take a long time since you are new to the instrument.

Besides these things, i would recommend forgetting about the speed when practicing things. Take the things i said into consideration instead, make sure you are practicing at a tempo were you can play it relaxed, make sure you are not doing extremely big motions with your picking hand, and focus on your breathing. Rather play it at 60bpm perfectly than 70bpm a little strained, practicing is ment to program your muscles how to do things. If you program them to play more relaxed and play things perfectly from the start, you´ll save yourself the time spent correcting mistakes.

Best Regards,
Sickz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
ryanbwags

Turn the metronome off. I've been playing 20 years and I've never used one. Pushing yourself like that and trying to use the metronome for a measure of how you are doing is a bad idea in my opinion. Master of Puppets was one of the first songs I learned. Maybe start with Whiplash, get that one down, then move to Metal Militia.
That and everything else Sickz says.
EHX: Metal Muff
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
EHX: Big Muff Pi
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
ryanbwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbwags
Turn the metronome off. I've been playing 20 years and I've never used one. Pushing yourself like that and trying to use the metronome for a measure of how you are doing is a bad idea in my opinion. Master of Puppets was one of the first songs I learned. Maybe start with Whiplash, get that one down, then move to Metal Militia.
That and everything else Sickz says.

Unless TS consistently works with a drummer I would definitely not suggest turning off the metronome for solo practice.

The metronome isn't the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
Jyrgen
Used Register

Yeah definitely keep using the metronome. Pay attention to what Sickz wrote.

In the meantime, why not learn to play some easier songs at the side? Gotta be able to walk before you can run. Stay motivated, it will come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Vote for Jyrgles, no more babies!
Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
covzi

Can someone recommend some warm-up songs for metallica that have this kind of alternate picking riffs?
covzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

try an experiment. play the open e string really slowly, one note per second, alternate picking. does it sound uniform? is it really easy? you're sure you're doing it correctly? okay, kick it up a notch and go faster. as soon as your hand even begins to get tired, stop increasing the speed and think about why that is. for example, you might be maintaining hand tension in between notes when your hand should really be especially relaxed at those times. then, go back down to one note per second and try it differently using your theory (or theories) on why you couldn't do it when you went faster.

the point is, you should try to figure out the picking mechanics that apply to both slow and fast playing.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!

Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE : 07-02-2014 at 01:05 PM.
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
ryanbwags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Unless TS consistently works with a drummer I would definitely not suggest turning off the metronome for solo practice.

The metronome isn't the problem.

Solo practice? Or playing along to a CD? I thought he was doing the latter. Sorry, that's how I learned most of my music. There was no UG back in 1994.
I may have misunderstood the posting.
My bad.
EHX: Metal Muff
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
EHX: Big Muff Pi
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
ryanbwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbwags
Solo practice? Or playing along to a CD? I thought he was doing the latter. Sorry, that's how I learned most of my music. There was no UG back in 1994.
I may have misunderstood the posting.
My bad.

If he was playing along to the CD there'd be no metronome in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: