Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
FuZ1i0nZ

Exclamation Help For A Beginner

Any of you guys got any advice for a beginner?

Well I say beginner I've been playing 5 months I know 18 songs already and I practice 4 hours a day. Am I doing it right? I have a list of songs I have to get done by the end of summer and the last song on the list is Holy Wars by Megadeth, do you guys think I can pull it off? I'll be attempting it 9 weeks from now, I practice down picking all the time. So for example if I'm watching a youtube video or anime or something I'll be practicing at a steady tempo. Also have any of you tried out Rocksmith I've taken up the 60 day challenge on that too and I'm getting regular lessons from a guitar teacher.
FuZ1i0nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
EyeballPaul

Sounds like you're doing just fine to me,As long as you're enjoying yourself in your practice and it does'nt feel like a chore keep going.
MIJ 84/85 Tele
Fender Baja Tele
Marshall DSL100H
TS808,TC Flashback,Dirty Little Secret MKIII,Morley Wah,Bad Monkey,Digitech Main Squeeze
EyeballPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

as i said in your other thread, check out justin guitar (or other complete guitar method websites/books/dvds), just to make sure you're not neglecting something important.

other than that, play and learn what you want to learn and just make sure you're always enjoying it (and watch you don't play too much at the start, 4 hours is a lot). sounds like you're already doing a lot of it right.

holy wars is very difficult, fwiw, so don't get discouraged if you can't do it. I've been playing ~13 years (I think) and I wouldn't want someone to hold a gun to my head to say I had to play it perfectly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
Sample246

You're doing well. Just don't burn yourself out (4 hours a day!! WHOO). Also, Holy Wars is a hell of a song, especially if you've only been playing for 5 months. Even if you spent all 5 months working on JUST playing that song, you wouldn't get it then. If you keep trying to force it to happen faster, you'll get it up to speed but it'll sound like crap. You MUST practice slowly and gradually increase speed for a fairly long time (years) before you can play cleanly at those breakneck speeds. I've seen dudes who can "shred" faster than I can, and have been playing for only 2 or 3 years. But they always sound like garbage. I'm not up to the speed I want yet after 5 years, but I can still play moderately quickly with CLEAN notes, and THAT is what's important.
Sample246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
FuZ1i0nZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
as i said in your other thread, check out justin guitar (or other complete guitar method websites/books/dvds), just to make sure you're not neglecting something important.

other than that, play and learn what you want to learn and just make sure you're always enjoying it (and watch you don't play too much at the start, 4 hours is a lot). sounds like you're already doing a lot of it right.

holy wars is very difficult, fwiw, so don't get discouraged if you can't do it. I've been playing ~13 years (I think) and I wouldn't want someone to hold a gun to my head to say I had to play it perfectly

If in 9 weeks I learnt the song but my learning method is pretty much everyone else's, I get the parts down for example 1 riff and then I play it slowly and gradually build up speed depending on weather I make mistakes or not.
FuZ1i0nZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: