bass and its a beast at 13lbs. I don't play out with it much anymore
but since its solid maple with SD Quarter pounders, it has a great
bright tone.

Ibanez SR800 The only bass I regret selling, but I wasn't using
it much at the time and used the cash to buy a Fender Jazz. Great
bass, fast neck active electronics. Would get another one if the
opportunity arose

EB MusicMan Fretless Beautiful bass, great fretless tone. I
still have it but it doesn't get played much since I got an upright.

Rogue Acoustic Fretless What was I thinking. Sold it to buy
an upright German bow.

Danelectro Longhorn Great funky little odd bass with a
distinctive look and tone. I bought it when I was playing in a surf
trio. Finicky neck that needed constant setup. Sold it to buy a
Fender Mustang, since after I quit the band, it didn't get much use.

Kala U bass Very fun bass to travel with. Good plugged in
for a classic Motown or even close to upright tone. Good late night
practice bass, unplugged. Still own this one.

Fender American Deluxe Jazz One of my two main gigging basses.
Nice fast neck and very playable. Very clear tone in the upper frets. Fell in instant love when I first played it in the shop and I never thought I'd like a Fender Jazz

Fender Mustang My lightweight Precision. Very playable and good tone for rock, Motown and R & B. My only complaint is the E string could have a bit more tension, but that's a given due to the short scale. Its my other current main gigging bass.

Brice 6 string Short scale 6 string that is a great bass considering the price. Bulbinga body makes it a bit heavy but not too unbearable for gigs. Fun to play and will probably be my "mod" project in the future, since I really want to upgrade the stock electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

Spaz will hate me for sure. I'm a very careful shopper and have therefore never had a bass I didn't like, but nothing feels like home to me like my Rickenbackers. The only ones I still own are the two Rickenbackers and the Bacchus.

Brice 6 string: My first six string, replaced it with a Tune twb six string which I liked far far more. For the money this bass is certainly unbeatable.

Brice 6 string fretless: This was meant to match the fretted version and it worked out great. The strings were ultra bad but with LaBellas on it the tone was certainly usable.

80's Guild Pilot: This was a cool bass but I didn't know it at the time because it was my first.

Galveston 8 string bass: Huge. Really huge. Loads of fun playing basslines alongside such full sounding chords. I used this a ton in a power trio when I would continue the rhythm guitar part alongside my bass lines while the guitar took their solos. I prefer more traditional basses nowadays and got rid of it.

Tune twb 4 string: This thing was fantastic. Ultra compact neck - thin in both directions. Terrible pickups and preamp but it still sounded alright. If you can find one of these to mod out, DO IT. Got rid of it when I got my Rickenbacker.

Tune twb 6 string: Same as above but with six strings. One of the better playing sixes I've come across.

Rickenbacker 4003: My primary bass for the past decade or so. I like the scale length, the untapered neck, the neck dimensions, sound, just about everything.

Rickenbacker 4003 Fretless: Meant to match the fretted version, still sees heavy use.

Bacchus Woodline DX 5 string: I got this because it's one of my favourite J bass style basses out there and it's a good idea to have a fairly standard sounding J around. Knocked out two birds with one stone by also making it my obligatory five string. This thing plays, looks, and sounds astounding. Hard to find but worth the search for sure.

Last edited by Vlasco : 07-02-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Vlasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

I've sold a few basses lately because I needed the cash, and because they were good basses that were not being played, which I felt was unfair. But of the ones I still have, there are:

Fender American Special Jazz: Just a great bass all around, and better because of the Babicz bridge I slapped on the thing. Beautiful Candy Apple Red finish!

Fender Roscoe Beck Signature 4-String: A beautiful instrument, and one that Fender discontinued before its time.

Fender Jazz 24: Hey; it is a 24-fret Fender Jazz! What more needs to be said? Ugly Orange Sunburst veneer quilt top, but it plays and sounds fantastic!

Yamaha John Myung 6-String (Original Version): Beautiful ebony fretboard with mother of pearl "Infinity" inlay. Heavy as hell, but sweet!

Tune TWB-6: The easiest-playing six-string bass I have ever encountered.

These are definitely keepers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

Those TWBs are fantastic instruments
Old 07-03-2014, 03:54 AM   #5
Tostitos
Barely Awake

This is a lot easier for me than one of our periodic gratuitous GAS threads, but hopefully I'll be able to change that with a new influx of money. Anyways, getting on with it...

Ibanez GSR200: My first bass. I still have it, at least I have all of its parts. I converted it to fretless back in high school and have since taken it apart where it has sadly sat awaiting refinishing and proper reassembling. It was a great starter bass, but the only reason it's around still is because it's not worth the trouble of selling and I want a fretless and can't afford a nice one.

The "Thing": Those of you regulars who have been here for a while probably know which bass I'm talking about, the worlds ugliest fretless. I had that thing all throughout college and it was a fun little thump machine. The neck eventually split but I still have all the hardware and the pickup. Unfortunately though this little gremlin is no longer of this world.

Fender Precision (MIM): This was my baby for a good while. Beautiful Lake Placid Blue with a maple fretboard and all the wonderful pickup and bridge covers you could ever want. At the time it was all the bass I needed, but as time went on I craved more versatility beyond a Precision's one glorious trick so I sold it to help fund my current stable. As far as I know this ones been around classifieds a few times on Talkbass, hopefully it's found a good home.

SSD NS-94: One of my current basses, all maple, neck-through, and heavy as hell. It would be a monster if I gave it the pickup and preamp overhaul it deserves. The neck is nice and round just the way I like it and it's strung up with nicely aged TI flats. This one hasn't been getting nearly enough attention lately.

Spector Rebop: My main bass, bought initially because it was such a good deal. It's as light as a feather and does everything I could ever want it to since I tossed out the stock EMG HZ's (ew) and put in some EMG 35P's. It's not the prettiest bass, but it scores top marks for functionality and that makes it a keeper in my book.

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
pachap
Hack in training.

Well I am a total noob to the bass family here, but here goes...

Ibanez SR300M - Nice comfortable 4 banger I am learning on. Really feels nice to me and is helping me to explore different bass sounds. I really do like it and think I made out pretty good on my first bass.

Ibanez SR305 - Bought it last Friday, cleaned it up and changed strings, but doesn't play quite as well as the SR300M. Also, considering my health issues, I think the neck might be a bit wide for me on the 5 stringer. It is currently on Craigslist.

In the near future I would love to have an Ibanez SR800. I am selling off all of my guitar gear and flipping it into bass gear, so it should happen soon.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

Not sure on model but I'll put my hated :P
I believe it was an Ibanez SR500 that I tried at a music shop. Nasty.
Bad fret ends, buzz and a really bland tone. Also felt pretty awkward to play.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

vigier excess indus and fret king blue label perception (basically a passive pj)

i still have them

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Stagg Jazz Bass- my first bass. Four string. Got bored, sprayed it silverburst and defretted it. Currently in pieces in the loft.

Peavey Millennium 5ACBXP- my second bass. Five string. Got bored, didn't spray it and defretted it. Currently in pieces in the loft.

Warwick CS Corvette- the best looking bass on this forum. This is undisputable fact. Amazing tones, so easy to play. Haven't got bored yet, so it's still not been sprayed, defretted, taken apart or put in the loft.

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
pachap
Hack in training.

Dear God don't get bored again.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #12
Black Ox
Registered Abuser

Washburn XB-100 This was my first bass. The setup was really bad and it was just a p-bass clone. Good enough to get me going though. Sold to a friend for $60.

ESP ltd F-4E This is the first "nice" bass I ever bought and one that I've learned just about everything I know on. When I finally learned how to do a proper setup, this thing became amazing and I'm yet to play something with a better setup. Usually my main gigging bass, but I might swap out the pickups someday.

Squier Vintage Modifed Jazz Bass Bought this with some scholarship money like a clown, I really liked it at the time and put all new hardware on it. The fretwork was kinda bad on it and I needed money, so I sold it to a friend.

Custom 5 String Bass Money pit. Will never play it. Sounds good, but its massive and the neck is terrible. Lesson learned.

Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass Got this on a steal. Replaced the pickups and got a good setup on it. I dig it, but at the same time I'm not a big jazz fan. I may or may not sell it.

Squier Affinity P-bass I'm not sure if a previous owner did work on this thing, but its the best playing Squier I've ever touched and my personal mod bass. Gotoh bridge, SD Quarter Pounder P & J pickups. Love it and will never sell it.

Warwick Rockbass Streamer Standard Won this for free at a raffle. I do like it and its super light. It's a bit difficult to cut through the mix for some music. The problem is it doesn't do anything the ESP already doesn't do better. May sell it, but it was free, so maybe not.

Warwick Corvette 5 Haven't had this long enough and its my first proper 5 string. Sounds and looks amazing. Weighs a ton as expected.

SIX GUN KID https://www.facebook.com/6gunkid
Black Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
DFX11
Ninjew

Affinity Squier or whatever that thing was. It was that cheapo red Squier with one pickup (my first bass when I was like 10). It probably ended up in a dump somewhere.

Schecter Stiletto 4 was a really beautiful looking bass, but I just couldn't deal with the stock EMG's anymore and sold it. I kind of regret selling this. I wish I just replaced the pups

Ibanez SR405QM was my fiery red five string that I got to experiment with. The active EQ was pretty cool and the neck was thin (would've been better on a 4 string). I found out I'm not really into the 5 string fad so I also sold this.

With the money I got for my Schecter and Ibanez I could afford a used American Jazz Bass in 3 tone with red tortoise guard. I still have this and love this bass to death.

Squier Jaguar was sort of an impulse buy (I always wanted a jag and a PJ bass). I was going to try to modify it to learn more about modifications, but it was set up so badly and I decided not to put any more money into it, so I sold that.

And finally my Special Percision with a jazz neck, seafoam/minty green color, and PJ configuration that I always wanted is still hanging on my wall next to my jazz.
DFX11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
DFX11
Ninjew

Fatalgear, do you have any pics of your Jazz 24?
DFX11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:07 AM   #15
anarkee
oh the horror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap
Well I am a total noob to the bass family here, but here goes...

Give it a year or two and you too can have an abode full of instruments that your better half/roommates/family can't figure out where the frick they all came from. In my living room alone right now is an upright, two Fender basses and the Ubass. Not to mention a student uke and the mandolin.

EDIT: AND HAND DRUMS. LOTS AND LOTS OF HAND DRUMS. (which populate like rabbits if you don't watch them carefully..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:08 AM   #16
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Electric basses and electric guitars are like mushrooms...first there is one, then there are two or three, and before you know it, your entire lawn is covered with them!

There is no escape. Trust me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:21 AM   #17
kurtebirdi

50$ ebay Pbass knock off- honestly not that bad of a bass to play, sounds like shit but stays tuned, not actually that bad of a way to start. ripped the frets off it a couple months ago because it was collecting dust and has 0 resale value so why the hell not?

ESP ltd B-304- loved the playability and feel of it, always had a secret desire to put EMGs in it but never had the right combination of money/motivation on the same day, stolen from the back seat of my car post jam.

Warwick Rockbass corvette $$ bought to replace the ESP, coil split on the bridge is tight, love the finish and hardware on it, was torn to hell between this an an american P-bass at the time of purchase, no buyer's remorse more than a year later

realizing i've only owned three basses and two amps and been playing for 7 years now makes me feel like i don't have enough GAS in my life.
kurtebirdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:52 AM   #18
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasco
Spaz will hate me for sure. I'm a very careful shopper and have therefore never had a bass I didn't like, but nothing feels like home to me like my Rickenbackers. The only ones I still own are the two Rickenbackers and the Bacchus.

Just for this, I'm going to give a blow by blow account of EVERY SINGLE BASS I HAVE EVER OWNED and you are going to read it ALL. (After I get back from work.)
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #19
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

A fitting punishment - I look forward to it.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #20
pachap
Hack in training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Electric basses and electric guitars are like mushrooms...first there is one, then there are two or three, and before you know it, your entire lawn is covered with them!

There is no escape. Trust me!

Well with my guitars I only kept one or two at the time, and tend to sell some off when I buy new ones. Maybe this will be the same way.

Rate This Thread: