Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #21
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

I only keep a couple of each electric instrument around because I would rather spend a lot more on my violins, uprights, and pianos which have more reasons for a higher budget.
Vlasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #22
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
Just for this, I'm going to give a blow by blow account of EVERY SINGLE BASS I HAVE EVER OWNED and you are going to read it ALL. (After I get back from work.)

Oh yes, because you don't like Rics, none of us are allowed to....

Anyway:

Status Energy 4: Nice bass, but am looking to sell it, to part fund a brand new Rickenbacker 4003.

Hagstrom Viking: Love it. Goes between a brand new J-Bass sound, all the way back to a vintage Hofner or EB-2.

Hagstrom Beluga: The stupidly versatile one. Semi acoustic with active/passive pickups and switchable from jazz to humbucker.

Fender Mim P-Bass: Hated everything about it, and was pleased when it left. Hated the neck, body contour and general sound.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #23
pachap
Hack in training.

Spanner, I rarely see Hagstroms over here in the States. I didn't even know they made basses. How about some pics when you can?
Old 07-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #24
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner93
Oh yes, because you don't like Rics, none of us are allowed to....

See? This guy gets it.

(I've forgotten the text/image/link limit so I'll do it in sets of ten.)

PART ONE.

1. Stagg Precision Bass
Borrowed this off a mate as soon as I heard Geezer Butler's basslines on Black Sabbath's Live Evil album. Honestly can't remember a single thing about this bass but I do remember that I dropped it and chipped a chunk of black lacquer off the bottom of it and coloured in the space with black felt tip.

2. Stagg BC-300 GB
"Gothic Black", says it all. A phase, a crummy bass that wouldn't intonate. I defretted ir and lacquered the fretboard (pretty good job if I do say so myself.) This was really my first bass but I had no attachment to it. I'm pretty sure it ended up as firewood.

3. Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V
Very nice bass for the price and you can still get them (sadly not in the same fetching Olympic White). Excellent string spacing with more than 2" of nut and pretty nice pickup and EQ. It's only real flaws were its weight (not a problem back in those days) its noisy preamp and the fact that the ebanol fingerboard fogged up after a few weeks of play.

4. Ibanez ATK300
This one I really regret letting go. This was an eighteenth birthday present from my parents and I learned the foundations of pretty much every technique on this bass (tapping and slapping, etc). Sounded great, lots of options with a nice preamp. Utterly stunning to boot. I tracked down the owner of it a few years after but the sod had fallen in love with it himself and wouldn't sell it back to me.

5. Fender Mexico Standard Jazz V
To think I sold my ATK to buy this piece of utter shit. This was the start of my loathing of Mexican Fenders. It played relatively well but the sound from these pickups and the woolly sound / lack of sustain (even with the BA bridge). Utter arse, compared to the Squier it was a total piece of trash.

(from here on, the actual order is very foggy. The pictures also get sort of crappy.)

6. Epiphone EB3
Gibsons are my guilty pleasure. For all their design flaws and questionable quality (in the case of Epiphone) I still love them. They have a very singular sound that, love or hate, is very definitely loud, bassy and ****ing fun. I got this bass after discovering Cream.

7. Fender America Standard Jazz FL
My first genuinely high quality bass. Sadly my lack of skill and funds meant that I didn't hold onto this beauty very long. Very few people forget the sound of an inexperienced fretless player.

8. Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
Back in the olden days of limited colours but superior hardware and electronics, this VM Jazz was a killer. I got bored an sold it, of course.

9. Fender Highway One Jazz Bass
Probably the best quality:price product that Fender has ever made so of course they discontinued it. Great pickups, great finishes, solid build and BA bridge as stock. Definitely makes my top 5 basses.

10. Anniversary 4003
Aside from being made from alder instead of maple and being bolt on rather than neck through, this was pretty much exactly the same as a Rickenbacker 4003 (I got the chance to play them side by side at a later date) except priced correctly for the silly instrument that it is. (I think I bought this off Dan, some of you won;t remember him as he doesn't grace us with his presence too often any more.)
Spaz91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #25
Spaz91
Turd polisher

PART TWO.

11. Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass
Upgraded with a SD QP and a BA bridge, what more could you want from a Precision Bass? Seriously, I'm asking.

12. Gibson Studio Bass Copy
The switches did sweet **** all but it sounded pretty great, especially with a set of tapewounds on it. I got to use it on a friend's Beatles/Stones ripoff album. I sold it because it felt like it was going to fall apart in my hands.

13. Skylark Plexiglass Bass (w/pink neon strings.

14. Schecter Stiletto Studio 6
My first six string. Sounded pretty sweet, EMG-HZs get a bad rep but their no worse than any other stock pickups. While it sounded and played great, I found the shape to be a bit unattractive and awkward to handle.

15. Specter... Professional? Cheapest series.
What a boring and characterless turd. This lasted about a week of me being completely uninspired before it got chucked.

16. Parts Jazz Bass
Another one from Dan. His project bass with (sadly no longer available) Wizard Pickups and 63(?) style controls. I'm not sure why this didn't get much play time.

17. Fender Japan '51 Precision Reissue.
Oh yeah, that's why. Easily one of my favourite basses. Top notch construction, tone and playability. I swapped the pickup out simply because the QP equivalent was a bit quieter. I will get one of these again.

18. Yamaha BB
Fairly flawless but at the same time fairly bog standard. I only real hang ups were the jazz style neck (jazz necks are for babies) and the baked bean colour scheme.

19. Squier Classic Vibe Precision Bass.
I just can't keep my hands off Squiers. I put an EMG in it because I'm a ****ing ******.

20. Fender America Deluxe Jazz Bass
Phwoaaaaaaaaaaaaaarr. The only reason I don't still have this is because I really couldn;t afford to keep it at the time with my lack of both band and job.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #26
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
Just for this, I'm going to give a blow by blow account of EVERY SINGLE BASS I HAVE EVER OWNED and you are going to read it ALL. (After I get back from work.)

We have left secret instructions with the Bass Ninjas that when you die, your coffin is to be opened and you are to be buried with a Rickenbacker!!!

You shall play it in the afterlife for all of eternity!!!

...And you shall grow to love it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #27
Spaz91
Turd polisher

PART THREE

21. Warwick Corvette $$
My first and by no means last Warwick bass. Nice chunky neck and chunkier tone. Not sure why I got rid of this, it might have been to get the '51 Precision. Another top 5 bass.

22. ESP LTD Thing
I love ESPs, I really do. That said, this bass only had one sound and it was RAWK. Those open coil EMGs were hot as hell with great but very singular tone.

23. Fender Mexico Jazz Bass Standard
One of the few basses I bought new. The assholes in the shop tricked me. Plugged into a top of the range Aguilar, this bass sounded the tits. Plugged into a normal amp or DI, it sounded flat as a fart. I couldn't get rid of this quick enough.

24. Epiphone Thunderbird (w/neon green strings.)
I do what I want.

25. Warwick Corvette $$ 5
Another one I would still have today if rent wasn't a thing. Just stunning, great sounding, all the tone options you could want and one of the few extended range basses I've found to be playable. Rent sucks, I should have just moved into a box.

26. Ibanez ATK405.
All the benefits of the ATK300 but with a crap neck pickup and ugly finishes. That was the only set of 5 strings I had.

27. THE ONE.
MY PRECISION BASS. I paid 100 for this, I sold it for 100 because rent happened again. The owner has actually blocked all communication from me because I was so desperate to get this back. Joint first place for favourite bass ever.

28. Lodestone Jazz Bass
Despite being a commercial flop, these basses are pretty great. Fairly ugly but solidly built and great sounding. I had to sell this around the same time as The One.

29. Squier Deluxe Jaguard Bass
I got this on a whim because it was discounted to 120 due to a crack in the lacquer. Great value, even at full price. I recommend Squier Jaguars to any beginner bass guitarist because they're just that bit cheaper than the Js and Ps but with more options. That HB was a bit harsh but made a great picollo pickup.

30. Epihpone EB0
Like I said, these are poorly designed and poorly made basses. I don't care, they're cheap and I love the sound. That and short scales are great fun to play.

Last edited by Spaz91 : 07-04-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #28
Spaz91
Turd polisher

DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW

PART FOUR

31. Squier VM Jazz Bass V
Fantastic quality and tone at the cost of your upper back. This weighed more than the plexiglass bass and was uncomfortable for me even with my sturdy frame and 4" wide strap. A real shame.

32. Spector Whatever
I needed a light bass for a slap recital. It was there, I bought it. It's currently my favourite fretless.

33. Oxfam Bass
Got it from a charity shop for 50. It's some kind of short scale jazz bass from before the days of potting pickups. It's a real treat to play but the hardware and electronics are understandably shitty. I fixer for sure.

34. Marlin Sidewinder Bass
"No I would not like that bass for 30." - No one ever. Marlin are an infamous house brand for some defunct guitar company. Actually built in Britain, this is surprisingly the worst bass I have ever owned. Thankfully the neck and hardware are in good nick so it's going to be the base (lol) for a really cool bass in the future.

35. Shine EXTREME 6 string..
There is very little that is extreme about this bass. That said, the build is solid and the hardware is really nice. The preamp and pickups are wank but that's something I plan to remedy in the future.

36. THE OTHER ONE.
A blend of JV Squier parts with a J base and P neck, I haven't been so inspired by a bass in a really long time, I actually keep it in another room so I don't keep getting distracted by playing it. I played a Rush recital with it through a huge Ashdown stack, nearly levelling the train station above in the process.

That's all folks. There are at least 4 basses I have forgotten and don't have pictures of. Maybe it's for the best that they remain forgotten. I could be said that I haven't been wise with money.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #29
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

That's a bummer that you've had to let go of so many for living costs.
Vlasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #30
gtc83

I had one of those $100 Rogue basses that they used to have hanging at the entrance to every guitar store. It was actually pretty decent considering the price. I think I took it apart with the intention of modifying it and then I lost interest in it and the pieces eventually got thrown out.

Had a Fender MIM Precision bass. I'm a guitar player but bought it with the intention of using it for recording my own songs. I guess I never really recorded anything, it sat around unused for years, and I eventually sold it.

Today I ordered a Fender Blacktop Precision bass from Musician's Friend, so hopefully I'll love this one. Been listening to a ton of demo's on YouTube and it sounds pretty darned nice on those.
gtc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #31
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasco

It happens to almost all of us, eventually. The bright side is, once you are back on your feet, you can go out and get new favorites.

Quote:
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Old 07-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #32
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

holy crap that's a lot of basses i thought bass players didn't get as bad GAS as guitar players? or is that a myth spread by bass players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #33
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Jon's predilection for horse-trading basses is legendary among our kind.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 07-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #34
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Quote:

I had to sell my Warwick Corvette for living costs. It was (and still is) the best bass I'd ever played - perfect bass for me. It was also reasonably rare (as I understand, the only year they made them in Germany with a slim neck since the early 90's - the same year before they outsourced to Asian production).

Once I got my situation together I messaged the guy I'd sold the bass to and managed to buy it back. It's been in my possession since, and I'll never make that mistake again.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #35
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Quote:

My own fault really. If I'd been sensible enough to budget and plan ahead then I would have had to sell most of them. The case of the Precision Bass was due to me losing my entire security deposit (nearly 500) due to leaving some bluetac on the walls and a coffee ring on my desk. The landlord was a total piece of scum and Terry Olpin / Kingston are a bunch of cunts for working with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
It happens to almost all of us, eventually. The bright side is, once you are back on your feet, you can go out and get new favorites.

Sometimes the sentimental ones are gone for ever though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
holy crap that's a lot of basses i thought bass players didn't get as bad GAS as guitar players? or is that a myth spread by bass players?

We have so much more goddamn choice that it's unfair. We're doomed to be bankrupt or unfulfilled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
Once I got my situation together I messaged the guy I'd sold the bass to and managed to buy it back. It's been in my possession since, and I'll never make that mistake again.

You lucky son of a gun. Was that a sale you were almost okay with at the time but realized the loss as soon as the deal was done?
Old 07-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #36
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Quote:
You lucky son of a gun. Was that a sale you were almost okay with at the time but realized the loss as soon as the deal was done?

Lucky indeed... but actually I felt like crying at the time - but I had no other option but to sell it. The feelings of regret came in waves for months afterwards. Interestingly enough I had another previous owner contact me and try to get it back - perhaps a testament to the instrument. Certainly won't be leaving me again though. Picking it up again for the first time after I got it back was one of the best feelings.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #37
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap
Spanner, I rarely see Hagstroms over here in the States. I didn't even know they made basses. How about some pics when you can?

I'm not around to take pics atm, but here are the stock pics and website for Hagstrom

Viking: - Mine is actually this colour.

Beluga (Actually called the Beluga II-F), now discontinued. Really nice bass, but really damn heavy: My one is a lighter sunburst.

http://hagstromguitars.eu/index.php...egory&Itemid=11
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #38
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Jon's predilection for horse-trading basses is legendary among our kind.

hehe

Quote:
We have so much more goddamn choice that it's unfair. We're doomed to be bankrupt or unfulfilled.

I dunno about that, I just have double GAS now, for both guitars and basses.

Actually make that triple, since I finally got round to getting an acoustic (guitar), too.

Quote:

Old 07-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #39
anarkee
oh the horror!

My friend is selling a viola. I have no idea how to play a viola.

I'm buying it anyway. There's a moral there somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #40
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:

Rate This Thread: