Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
TLGuitar

How to get the tapping as clear as in the "Under a Glass Moon" solo?

Well, at about 5:15 Petrucci does this left hand hammer-on going 12-14-16-18 (which also feels kinda weird to do as all of the fingers do a large interval) and ends with a 21 with the right hand tap. I can't get it to sound proper.

Is there anything more to it or does it simply requires a very large amount of distortion?

Here's the part for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEKTNtmKZEw#t=315

Last edited by TLGuitar : 07-03-2014 at 09:12 AM.
TLGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

It requires better tapping on your part. You can easily do that line completely clean if you're decent at tapping.

More practice, suck it up and stop blaming the part because the reason you can't play it is you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
TLGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It requires better tapping on your part. You can easily do that line completely clean if you're decent at tapping.

More practice, suck it up and stop blaming the part because the reason you can't play it is you.

What? Who blamed anything?

Obviously better tapping would result in, ugh... Better tapping. I asked HOW would it be performed decently? Just attacking faster and stronger? Aiming for a specific part of the fret? Using a specific angle of the finger?

Your comment really wasn't related to my question.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

I used that solo for my Berklee audition - believe me I practiced it.

It really is just hitting it strongly and cleanly, and good muting technique.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
Of_Wolves
Silver Satellite Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened
I used that solo for my Berklee audition - believe me I practiced it.

It really is just hitting it strongly and cleanly, and good muting technique.

+1

Seriously, muting is key in any tapping. Heel of right hand, thumb and fingers of your left, hell I sometimes end up muting strings with unused fingers on my tapping hand. I don't profess to have great technique yet, but I tend to play most of my own compositions pretty cleanly (then again I wrote them so that doesn't really mean much I guess...)

And if you really can't/you need a more staccato sound just whack a hair tie on the neck.. but for god sake don't start relying on it. You'll get your fair share of eyerolling from other guitarists that way.

Last edited by Of_Wolves : 07-03-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Of_Wolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGuitar
What? Who blamed anything?

Obviously better tapping would result in, ugh... Better tapping. I asked HOW would it be performed decently? Just attacking faster and stronger? Aiming for a specific part of the fret? Using a specific angle of the finger?

Your comment really wasn't related to my question.

You said:

Quote:
Is there anything more to it or does it simply requires a very large amount of distortion?

Which is a veiled excuse. You might not even realise you're doing it but phrasing the question that way is trying to get someone to give you an excuse for not being able to play the part. You're subconsciously blaming something other than your playing.

However, if you want to know how to tap well, that's a different matter.

You should be tapping firmly, as close to the fret itself as possible and generally close to perpendicular to the fret board. You don't need to beat the hell out of the fretboard but you do need to give it enough force. Don't forget that when you remove your finger you should be doing much the same motion as when you're doing pull-offs with the fretting hand.

That's really the important thing to remember: tapping is just fretting with your other hand, if you want it to work well you need to follow the same principles.

This is all information you could have gotten quicker elsewhere though so really I refer you back to your subconscious want for someone to tell you it's not your fault.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 07-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
TLGuitar

Quote:
You said:

Which is a veiled excuse. You might not even realise you're doing it but phrasing the question that way is trying to get someone to give you an excuse for not being able to play the part. You're subconsciously blaming something other than your playing.

However, if you want to know how to tap well, that's a different matter.

You should be tapping firmly, as close to the fret itself as possible and generally close to perpendicular to the fret board. You don't need to beat the hell out of the fretboard but you do need to give it enough force. Don't forget that when you remove your finger you should be doing much the same motion as when you're doing pull-offs with the fretting hand.

That's really the important thing to remember: tapping is just fretting with your other hand, if you want it to work well you need to follow the same principles.

This is all information you could have gotten quicker elsewhere though so really I refer you back to your subconscious want for someone to tell you it's not your fault.

Seriously, dude. You need to learn the difference between "Is there anything to work over technique-wise, or perhaps amplification-wise are there requirements in order for the tapping to sound-out?" to "OH, SCREW THIS. IT'S BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A 100,000$ EQUIPMENT LIKE PETRUCCI, RIGHT?!".

I couldn't care less if I couldn't play it for shit. I actually have other more important things over my mind and I only do this as a hobby.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #8
Of_Wolves
Silver Satellite Eyes

Quote:
Seriously, dude. You need to learn the difference between "Is there anything to work over technique-wise, or perhaps amplification-wise are there requirements in order for the tapping to sound-out?" to "OH, SCREW THIS. IT'S BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A 100,000$ EQUIPMENT LIKE PETRUCCI, RIGHT?!".

I couldn't care less if I couldn't play it for shit. I actually have other more important things over my mind and I only do this as a hobby.

Someone's always getting snarky with someone around here. It's some strange ever pervasive attitude that UG has never quite gotten rid of... much like the elitist attitude of some "lead" guitarists. ("I only play blues. You do your thing and I'll just solo over the top it"... "like hell you will. Be a bit musical you dolt!"

Sorry it gets on my nerves sometimes too.

Anyway, it's not a lot to do with amplification. But I will say that more distortion often (but not always) equals more chance for unwanted noise. BUT if you can nail it clean, you'll be more than fine when you kick on the effects.

Practice the attacking force and strengthening all fingers, I'm sure the solo will follow soon enough if you keep at it and most of all enjoy the challenge.

Last edited by Of_Wolves : 07-03-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Of_Wolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #9
TLGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of_Wolves
Someone's always getting snarky with someone around here. It's some strange ever pervasive attitude that UG has never quite gotten rid of... much like the elitist attitude of some "lead" guitarists. ("I only play blues. You do your thing and I'll just solo over the top it"... "like hell you will. Be a bit musical you dolt!"

Sorry it gets on my nerves sometimes too.

Anyway, it's not a lot to do with amplification. But I will say that more distortion often (but not always) equals more chance for unwanted noise. BUT if you can nail it clean, you'll be more than fine when you kick on the effects.

Practice the attacking force and strengthening all fingers, I'm sure the solo will follow soon enough if you keep at it and most of all enjoy the challenge.

I just hate when people put words into my mouth or interpret crap without anything related, even after being corrected.

Anyway, I really tried to get it to ring out stronger but it seems like it just lacks vibration. I'm not sure if it sounds at all when clean. I can get some more basic tappings on the heavier strings or lower on the neck where the string has more elasticity, but this is right at the top of the high E... It sounds like a ******ed version of tapping.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #10
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:

You have no idea how much I don't care about what you think. I've seen too many threads start that way and know exactly where they go.

I am here to tell people what they need to hear, not what they want to hear.

Quote:

So why did you ask? Protest all you like but you cared enough to ask in the first place so you obviously want to get it right, hobby or not.

Since you still can't get it and care enough to mention that, post a video of what you're doing if you want real help. Right now all anyone can do is regurgitate general principles at you. Which I have already done.

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 07-03-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #11
TLGuitar

Quote:
You have no idea how much I don't care about what you think. I've seen too many threads start that way and know exactly where they go.

I am here to tell people what they need to hear, not what they want to hear.

So why did you ask? Protest all you like but you cared enough to ask in the first place so you obviously want to get it right, hobby or not.

Since you still can't get it and care enough to mention that, post a video of what you're doing if you want real help. Right now all anyone can do is regurgitate general principles at you. Which I have already done.

lel.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:32 AM   #12
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Disthread
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112