Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 07-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #21
deadsmileyface
something about science
 
deadsmileyface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: hunted by photon lasers
yes, he may be the worst guitarist of all time
deadsmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #22
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
 
TheUltimateSin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Minnesota, US
I love watching people bash a musician because of their ego. It's hilarious, because it's basically a cry out of inferiority from the person doing the bashing.

The reality of it is, when you become as proficient(and you'd have to be an idiot to not acknowledge that he is) with your instrument as people like Malmsteen, you have the right to be an egotistical ass if you want to be. You've worked hard to be that knowledgeable and capable with something. Obviously not everyone who achieves this level of skill is an arrogant prick, but that doesn't change the fact that they've earned that right.

That being said, in whether you find him boring or not boils down to taste. 9 times out of 10, the people that like his music are also people that are striving to be as good as he is with the instrument and seek inspiration and learning material to draw from, whereas most of the people that dislike his music are people that don't even play the guitar. I say most because obviously there are exceptions.



Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsmileyface
yes, he may be the worst guitarist of all time






That may be the dumbest thing I've read in a while.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]


Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
TheUltimateSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #23
Iwalkalone11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
I agree. Buckethead is better! \m/
Iwalkalone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #24
maddog61
Registered User
 
maddog61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Yes. I haven't hear a whole lot of songs by him, but I couldn't tell you the differences between the ones that I did. They were all just a bunch of emotionless shred.
maddog61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:48 AM   #25
JohnProphet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
I notice the people who bash Malmsteen arent listing who THEY think is great. Trust me, any musician can be bashed

Most of you are too young to remember the early 90s when u could go days and not hear a guitar solo on the radio. Malmsteen pretty much carried the flag by himself for those years

Dude is a supreme musician, acknowledged and copied by his peers. Does he have some filler songs? absolutely. Now, name someone else with a 30 year career who doesnt have some less than brilliant songs
JohnProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #26
GuitarFan995
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog61
Yes. I haven't hear a whole lot of songs by him, but I couldn't tell you the differences between the ones that I did. They were all just a bunch of emotionless shred.



And here it is, the emotionless shred argument. I lost the count of how many times I bumped into this since I got into guitar playing. Whether something has emotion into it or not, it's completely subjective, first of all, and then there's the fact that some people just assume that speed and emotion cannot coexist. It's either speed or feeling, never both. Have you ever listened to classical music. Lots and lots of technical stuff, but can you say it's emotionless? Why is having and showcasing good technique considered a good thing for every instrument except for guitar? I for one think it's a matter of musical background. The less-is-more approach, for instance, is typical of blues, whereas being a virtuoso was the goal of many classical musicians (think Paganini, Vivaldi, Liszt etc). Malmsteen obviously has a classical background, where technical skill was highly valued.
GuitarFan995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #27
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
 
DaFjory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
To me his albums have been boring from Alchemy onwards. As such, I can't be bothered with anything after Facing The Animal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus "46nps" Paus
I'm playing so fast that the tubes in the amp can't pick up all the notes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicer666
he sucks on the remnants of Lane's testicles

Let some LIGHTS into your life!

Now read about her!
DaFjory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #28
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
 
TheUltimateSin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Minnesota, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarFan995
And here it is, the emotionless shred argument. I lost the count of how many times I bumped into this since I got into guitar playing. Whether something has emotion into it or not, it's completely subjective, first of all, and then there's the fact that some people just assume that speed and emotion cannot coexist. It's either speed or feeling, never both. Have you ever listened to classical music. Lots and lots of technical stuff, but can you say it's emotionless? Why is having and showcasing good technique considered a good thing for every instrument except for guitar? I for one think it's a matter of musical background. The less-is-more approach, for instance, is typical of blues, whereas being a virtuoso was the goal of many classical musicians (think Paganini, Vivaldi, Liszt etc). Malmsteen obviously has a classical background, where technical skill was highly valued.



I love this argument. Mostly because it's spot on. I've never heard anyone refer to classical music as "emotionless", even though it can be just as(or even more) fast/complex as any guitar shredding out there. Paganini is a great example because a lot of the compositions he wrote were considered nearly impossible to play.

And when it really comes down to it, is "shredding" not a modern-day version of what these classical composers would have been doing?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]


Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
TheUltimateSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #29
Stephen Quinn
Registered User
 
Stephen Quinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Yngwie is a great player with brilliant technique and songwriting abilities, and has big stage presence, although not to everyones preference. It really depends on your own tastes and opinion.
__________________
www.stephenquinnguitar.co.uk
Stephen Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #30
lodgi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
I watched some vids the other day of this malsteem fella after hearing a lot about him. I was highly disappointed tbh. What I saw was a slow backing tracking with Yngwie knocking out lick after lick. Was very very boring and not the sort of guitarist id aspire to be. If its guitar skills I wanna see/hear being showcased I much prefer someone like Tosin Abasi.
lodgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #31
Lead_Guitar89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tim*
Yeah, i know he's an asshole. Neogeofanatic made a video where he explains how to play a lick in the style of Malmsteen, and the video has been taken down. Stupid.

Even if he is an asshole, what does it mean? He plays very very good!!!!
Lead_Guitar89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #32
Lead_Guitar89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Many people say that some great and very fast guitar players (Malmsteen, Batio, Herman Li, Karl Logan etc) have not emotion bla bla bla...... I think that they judge those guitarists beacause they have not the guts to practice and become better day after day! You can be jealous haters, but you will always be the false ones!
@UltimateSin: Exactly!!!!

Last edited by Lead_Guitar89 : 07-29-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Lead_Guitar89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #33
bimsterfls
Yoshi!
 
bimsterfls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Beyond the Dark Sun
Let's face it. He does one thing and does it really well. I am an Yngwie fan, he's not my favorite, but listening to him is pretty fun and he has awesome tone. I couldn't listen to only Yngwie but every now and then he's awesome
bimsterfls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #34
AndyZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
"Yngwie, who, to me, demonstrates that it is possible to have all these chops and play these outrageous fast things but still sound like you mean it. This may not be a popular viewpoint, but when I listen to Yngwie playing, there’s as much sincerity as there is when B.B. King is playing. He plays every note like it could be his last.” -Guthrie Govan

There's way too much Yngwie hate around. I don't like all of his albums, but I see him as one of the most passionate guitar players ever. He's a genius and his style is completely unique.
AndyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #35
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
 
Tempoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: On an Island
He sure don't know how to make good backing tracks. His drum and bass are so bad sounding always, I can't stand it.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #36
Neo Evil11
Banned
 
Neo Evil11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arkham Asylum
I don't understand what Yngwie is trying to accomplish apart from "see how fast I can play". But I guess that, that might be my own taste. At least with shredders like Vai, Petrucci and Satriani I can hear decent licks, the shredding blending in nice with interesting chord progressions etc.

Yngwie was the worst to ever play on G3.
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:25 AM   #37
farcry
Registered User
 
farcry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
don't like him, for many reasons. He is to guitars as Lars Ulrich is to drums

the most important thing is that he misses so many notes/hits so many dead notes. He plays sloppily with little attention to the finer details, it's bad to miss so many notes and at the same time play in a virtuoso style. I could list many more reasons but I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by farcry : 08-23-2014 at 06:28 AM.
farcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #38
BlueIceBox
Bzzzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Are we talking about him alone, or his music?

I think his band efforts were great. I'm not a huge fan of his first mainly instrumental album but I do like the albums that have followed that such as Trilogy, Marching Out, Eclipse etc... I think those were good albums because they had some mainstream appeal and the music was pretty good. It was hard rock/power metal with some classic influence for flavour. It wasn't all mindless shred, it had feeling. Those albums had great rhythms and melodies.

I'm not a huge fan of his music now. Not a fan of the whole 'neo classical' thing when it's leaning towards being more classical than rock/metal. It's the Yngwie show now. His touring 'band' is confined to a small part of the stage while Yngwie has most of the stage.

Just my 2 pence/cents
__________________
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
BlueIceBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #39
Lead_Guitar89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Malmsteen is a Guitar God!!! Face it guys! The people who dislike him as a guitarist are worthless and weak possers!!!!
Lead_Guitar89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #40
the_bi99man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateSin
I love this argument. Mostly because it's spot on. I've never heard anyone refer to classical music as "emotionless", even though it can be just as(or even more) fast/complex as any guitar shredding out there. Paganini is a great example because a lot of the compositions he wrote were considered nearly impossible to play.

And when it really comes down to it, is "shredding" not a modern-day version of what these classical composers would have been doing?


That is EXACTLY what shredding is. And that's exactly why I just stop debating it once someone brings in the "emotionless shred" argument. I just go, "oh, okay. You just don't understand. That's cool. Enjoy what you enjoy. No biggie".

On the subject of Yngwie, specifically, I've never been a huge fan. I appreciate what I've heard, and he definitely has a solid handful of amazing tracks, but he's never quite gripped me like some other shredders.

Last edited by the_bi99man : 08-29-2014 at 08:44 PM.
the_bi99man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:08 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.