Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
DaLelo

Question How badly do I suck

I'm working on it. Judge my voice please, be as critical as you like.

But really, don't be nice.
Is there any hope for me?

I know I could learn to stay in tune, but my tone is just.. atrocious. And the worst thing is I can't even change that, you know? Just unlucky enough to have been born with such vocal chords

Anyhow, here's the link: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ijFmAKRngk

All feedback appreciated.

EDIT: Should mention I'm a complete beginner.

Last edited by DaLelo : 07-21-2014 at 11:14 AM.
DaLelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
GoldenGuitar

You actually can't stay in tune, you're about about -25 cents to a semitone off. So there you go.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
DaLelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGuitar
You actually can't stay in tune, you're about about -25 cents to a semitone off. So there you go.

Thanks for your feedback. And I was just saying that if I committed the time to learn to stay in tune my tone wouldn't really change… Not that I can stay in tune now
Old 07-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
AJScott

You're really not trying hard enough, it's very half assed, if you can't hit the high notes try them an octave lower.
AJScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
mjones1992

Some advice that someone gave me a few years ago: Start projecting. It's 1000x easier to stay in tune and hit notes when you're projecting.

Here's an easy way to start out ->

Step 1: Stand in your room and pretend there's someone sitting in front of you. Now talk to them like they're 50 yards away. Just talk. Loud. Really loud. Don't yell, just pretend you're talking, but you want someone far away to hear. Practice doing that until you have a handle on how that feels to speak that loudly.

Step 2: Use that same voice and start singing.

I promise you you'll sound A LOT better than what you just posted.

That same person I mentioned who gave me that advice let me borrow a CD set by Roger Love (famous vocal coach). I think it was called "Set your voice free" or something like that. See if you can find it. It's for singers, public speakers, business people, and just people that want to be able to communicate more effectively. It's helped me immensely with not only my singing, but my social life as well.
mjones1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
ChucklesMginty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the problem is you're really just speaking, you're trying to not be heard by your parents/neighbors instead of really projecting.

In the same way you cannot run by just walking faster you cannot sing by speaker louder.

Edit: That^
Old 07-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
DaLelo

^ Thanks both of you. That's really useful, and I think I was holding back subconsciously since I live in a block of (small) flats…

I'll definitely check that CD out.

And I'll post a better recording in this thread, then you can judge my voice again.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
Milan999

I don't think the tone is bad at all but yeah, you're holding back man. You definitely have potential to be good but it's hard when you're scared of being heard.
Milan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
DaLelo

Ok, I took your guys' advice. I'm not quiet anymore (or at least I don't think I am) and I've actually been practicing with the 'set your voice free' exercises.

I have also chosen what I think is an easier song to sing:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1WxAoUDUNVZ

If I could get some more criticism that would be really appreciated. And, if possible, how to work on fixing the problems that you can hear in the recording.

(as for the quality, my voice was just recorded to my phone's mic like last time, along with my speakers playing the song.)
Old 07-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
Milan999

All it takes to sing in key is more practice and palate positioning.

You also sound like a tenor or high baritone because I don't hear a lot of vocal weight when you sing this song, which isn't exactly a low song in its own right.

I'd recommend getting a vocal coach since it's a bit hard to explain things through text. I'd say it's fine aside from the pitchiness and the fact that you simply don't know the technique to hit higher notes. Both things are coachable and I really don't know an effective way to tell you how to sing high other than the fact that you have to increase volume when singing higher. The analogy I've heard when people talk about singing a high note is "pretend like you're trying to sing the note to someone across the street". As in, you'll have to belt these notes...unless you want to switch into head voice.

Another helpful piece of advice I've heard is "there's no 'naturally' good singers, there's just people who guess on the correct technique earlier than others". It's all about technique and don't get discouraged.

EDIT: I'll tell you exactly where you are:

I don't think you're ready to perform vocally (especially since I haven't heard you sing without guidance from the recorded vocal track on the mp3) but I think you absolutely have potential. You haven't unlocked nearly all of your range as of yet and you seem like a tenor (don't take my word for it though) so you'll likely have a pretty high top end once you do. You're very pitchy but that stems from poor palate positioning; it's all muscle memory once you sing consistently enough. I like the tone of your voice; absolutely nothing wrong with it. And on the plus side, at least you're somewhere in the ball park in terms of pitch; you'll start flat and generally correct it on longer held notes. Keep working at it and if possible, get a coach.

Last edited by Milan999 : 07-28-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #11
DaLelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan999
All it takes to sing in key is more practice and palate positioning.

You also sound like a tenor or high baritone because I don't hear a lot of vocal weight when you sing this song, which isn't exactly a low song in its own right.

I'd recommend getting a vocal coach since it's a bit hard to explain things through text. I'd say it's fine aside from the pitchiness and the fact that you simply don't know the technique to hit higher notes. Both things are coachable and I really don't know an effective way to tell you how to sing high other than the fact that you have to increase volume when singing higher. The analogy I've heard when people talk about singing a high note is "pretend like you're trying to sing the note to someone across the street". As in, you'll have to belt these notes...unless you want to switch into head voice.

Another helpful piece of advice I've heard is "there's no 'naturally' good singers, there's just people who guess on the correct technique earlier than others". It's all about technique and don't get discouraged.

EDIT: I'll tell you exactly where you are:

I don't think you're ready to perform vocally (especially since I haven't heard you sing without guidance from the recorded vocal track on the mp3) but I think you absolutely have potential. You haven't unlocked nearly all of your range as of yet and you seem like a tenor (don't take my word for it though) so you'll likely have a pretty high top end once you do. You're very pitchy but that stems from poor palate positioning; it's all muscle memory once you sing consistently enough. I like the tone of your voice; absolutely nothing wrong with it. And on the plus side, at least you're somewhere in the ball park in terms of pitch; you'll start flat and generally correct it on longer held notes. Keep working at it and if possible, get a coach.

Hey, thanks a lot for the feedback. I occasionally see a vocal coach (I will be having my 3rd lesson this week) but I simply do not have the money to have lessons on a regular basis, therefore I turn to the internet for advice and exercises. Are there any you know of which would help me make progress? Currently I'm doing the exercises from Roger Love's book 'Set your voice free', as well as these:

http://www.aussievocalcoach.com/pre...onuslesson.html

I also sing along when I play scales on the guitar and try to match the notes. Is what I'm doing 1. beneficial and 2. enough?

I make music at home and I'd love to be able to use my own vocals in my songs.

One last thing, what do you mean by saying I sound 'pitchy'? Is it that I'm not staying in tune? That's the only part of your post I didn't really get

Anyone else want to give me feedback based on the new recording?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #12
DaLelo

anyone else?
Old 07-29-2014, 11:13 PM   #13
Milan999

Yep, pitchy just means that you're not staying in tune while singing.

Singing along to scales/arpeggios/any other patern, singing along to songs, and singing along to instrumentals I'd say is enough and it's most certainly beneficial. It's all I've ever done. You've just gotta get to the point where your brain recognizes pitch and remembers the correct throat/palate positioning for hitting that pitch. It's all practice and muscle memory. Good luck.

Rate This Thread: