Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
noemie24

strings

How often do you change your strings and how do you know it's time to get new ones? I would also like to know what kind of strings I should use (standard strings)?
thank you
noemie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
chrismendiola

I change my strings once a month. It's really all up to you and the life of your strings. I use Elixir and even though they claim to last really long, I still change them as often as I would a pack of D'Addario, Ernie Ball, etc.

And the type of strings you should use depend on the type of guitar(s) you have and how you want it (or them) to sound.

Last edited by chrismendiola : 07-21-2014 at 11:03 PM.
chrismendiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:34 AM   #3
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

it depends what guitar. unless i break one that i don't have an extra of, i have gone through enough strings that i can probably find anything in a partial that would be fine.

but probably 6-8 months. my sweat isn't very acidic and never get sweaty. so i can go that long.

some people do it weekly/monthly or whatever. you do what works for you. and also (personal preference) don't like the bright new string sound.

and i use D'addario nickel blues .11-.49 on E std

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
pantallica87

Once a month, because I play every day.
pantallica87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #5
LivinJoke84
Leeds

No where near as often as i should. Once every year or two?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
noemie24

Thank you! I'll ask the person at the storr what type of string would be best. They can probably help me to find the apropriate strings for my guitars!
noemie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinJoke84
No where near as often as i should.

+1

as rarely as i can get away with, basically

if you live in a really humid area, or have killer sweat or whatever, then you might have to change them really often. but if you don't, it's probably just fine (don't quote me on that ) to change them when you need to, I don't think you need to have it set in stone or anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

I change them when one breaks. Which is about every 3 months, considering I used to use stainless steel picks, but I just switched to the Dunlop carbon Jazz IIIs. So I'll see how long they last now. Ideally you should change them every 2-4 weeks depending how much you play, and that's more so you can clean the guitar with all the strings off. The strings can stay on as long as you want if you like the sounds of worn strings.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Crate 2x12 Cab (2 Eminence V128s)
Line 6 POD HD500
Korg Pitchblack

Seven Strings and ERGs
TheStig1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
jpnyc

I change them when they need it. Sometimes a pack of strings is only good for a few weeks. Other times they just won’t die—I have one guitar with year-old strings that play and sound fine. Whatever works.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:54 PM   #10
guitarguru79

It's pretty easy to tell when it's time to change strings. Just use your ear. Do they sound as good as they did whenever you put them on? If the answer is yes or almost, then you should be good to go for a little bit longer.

As far as what kind/brand of strings to use... They are all made by the same people. Dean Markley strings are the same as GHS strings, just a different package. I work in a guitar/piano string factory and it blew my mind how I "thought" this brand was better than that brand. It's all in your head.

Which gauge of string you use depends on what style of music you play. For beginners I recommend starting with a heavier gauge string first while you work on building finger strength.
guitarguru79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:54 PM   #11
jpnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnyc
I change them when they need it. Sometimes a pack of strings is only good for a few weeks. Other times they just won’t die—I have one guitar with year-old strings that play and sound fine. Whatever works.

+1. I’ve had the same strings on my Corsair since January 2012 and they’re still stretchy and bright. They must have been stolen from the Wonka factory or something.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:59 PM   #12
Clay-man
Say no to saying no

Depends on how acidic your hands are and how clean you keep the strings.

I have acid hands, so I have Elixirs, and that lasted like 2-3 months before it went dead.
Clay-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:21 PM   #13
Pandorum

Personally, I change them only when they start feeling mucky and begin going out of tune more frequently. Which is about every 5-6 months. I don't have sweaty arms, and I try to play mostly with clean hands (it does matter, I've been a dj in my teens, handling vinyl after chicken nuggets? Bad friggin idea!). I find it bothersome to restring and re-intonate the thing anyway, I love playing it, not fiddling with it...
I rediscovered D'addarios recently, cheaper than Ernie Ballsacks, and they last about as long, I've actually documented the dates of string changes. I suggest you guys do too, you might be very surprised!

Last edited by Pandorum : 08-31-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Pandorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:10 PM   #14
Will Lane
i play da musics

Once a month unless I have an event to play for. I use Ernie Ball slinky hybrids, 9's.

Washburn X-30
Schecter Diamond Omen Active
RP-155
Micro POG
Proco Rat
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:12 PM   #15
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I go by intonation. Every time I change strings, I check/set the intonation. As soon as there is a noticeable drift, I toss them away.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 08-31-2014 at 11:49 PM. Reason: typo
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:17 PM   #16
Clay-man
Say no to saying no

Quote:
I go buy intonation. Every time I change strings, I check/set the intonation. As soon as there is a noticeable drift, I toss them away.

Hmm, maybe that's why the intonation on the last frets on my skinny E are shit now.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:51 PM   #17
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Well, it's all about uniform string density. Once the strings wear they are no longer uniform along their length. Think about it in extremis. If the string was heavier above the 12th fret than below it, what would that do to intonation? Pretty obvious when you think about it that way, huh?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #18
Clay-man
Say no to saying no

Quote:
Well, it's all about uniform string density. Once the strings wear they are no longer uniform along their length. Think about it in extremis. If the string was heavier above the 12th fret than below it, what would that do to intonation? Pretty obvious when you think about it that way, huh?

Thank's Cath. It's been killing me why the last few frets are way too sharp. I think I actually knew this before, but I forgot for some reason. I've had Elixirs on for like 5-6 months now, and there's FINALLY rust on the plain strings, like in a few spots on frets, but this set is definitely dead.

Beat the shit out of the wound strings so a lot of the coating shredded off, and the harmonic response it had for months finally is gone. I think it's time to change these.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:57 PM   #19
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i am the worst offense with some. i have purchased guitars used and still haven't restrung. two, three years?

if i am gigging i will likely restring more often.

if not as long as i can go (IIRC dave said that ^)

but again i have a lot of guitars and would go broke restring 20-22 guitars. not to mention the time, they all don't see much usage. i use about five different guitars and just try to keep them up.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #20
JGM258

I happen to be allergic to uncoated strings... My palm gets REALLY itchy hives so I have been using elixr's, which sound and feel terrible to me when they are fresh but they last a few weeks. I'm very impatient with uncoated and don't get more than 15 hours of play time before they aren't usable any more, not that I use them much due to the aforementioned reason.

Last edited by JGM258 : 09-02-2014 at 12:08 AM.
JGM258 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: