Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-29-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
ognjenmijatov

Two words: electric guitar

Hi! This time, I'm not asking you guys to tell me which guitar to buy. I'm asking you to tell me from with tone wood should be electric guitar for heavy metal? So, which tone wood is best for guitar body, neck, fretboard (fingerboard) and guitar top or guitar shouldn't have top? To has tremolo (and which one) or not? And the most common question, which type of pickups is better for heavy metal, passive or active pickups?
ognjenmijatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Roc8995

All of those things are subjective, and there are no answers as simple as "this is best for that." The finished product matters an awful lot more than the individual pieces, and if you don't even know if you want a trem or not you clearly should not be getting so picky that you care what wood combination the body is made out of.

Go play as many guitars as you can get your hands on, and start forming your own opinions. You'll be able to get a good idea of whether you want a trem, and whether you like active or passive pickups for the style you play. Once you get a few preferences figured out, we can help you pick out a guitar from there. Right now you'd just be picking blind using broad generalizations. That's better than nothing, but not much, and not optimal.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
ognjenmijatov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
All of those things are subjective, and there are no answers as simple as "this is best for that." The finished product matters an awful lot more than the individual pieces, and if you don't even know if you want a trem or not you clearly should not be getting so picky that you care what wood combination the body is made out of.

Go play as many guitars as you can get your hands on, and start forming your own opinions. You'll be able to get a good idea of whether you want a trem, and whether you like active or passive pickups for the style you play. Once you get a few preferences figured out, we can help you pick out a guitar from there. Right now you'd just be picking blind using broad generalizations. That's better than nothing, but not much, and not optimal.

Yeah, you're right, but in my country (Serbia) there are just 3 music shops, and all guitars are pretty same, just one shop have the most guitars, and there are about 10 out of more than 20 guitar that I'm interested. So, if this make my problem any easier, and if you want to help me, I want my guitar has:
1. Two humbucker pickups (High output, hum canceling).
2. Floyd Rose Tremolo (1000 Series or more expensive models).
3. 24 or more frets (Jumbo or Extra Jumbo).
4. Neck stable as a rock and fastest as possible.
5. Whole guitar to be highly resonant.
6. The budget is up to $1000(but not the MSRP $1000).
Old 07-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Do you need 24 frets? If not you can still get Japanese-made Charvel Pro Mods for 600 from richtone music in England (which is ~$1000 I think if the exchange rate hasn't changed too much since I last checked it). They have non-recessed tremolos, though, which means that you can't get masses of up-pull (raising the pitch of the note with the trem). You can set the trem up to float and get a little (maybe 1-2 semitones). Or the newer Mexican-made Pro Mods have recessed tremolos (but still 22 frets).

If you need the 24 frets I'd say a prestige Ibanez would probably be the thing, if you can find one for $1000. You can sometimes get lucky and find one for around that amount of money (new).

Also I agree with what colin's saying- we can definitely tell you things that tend to be more suited to metal (what you've already listed is fine), but some of it is personal preference, too.

I'm not sure wood matters that much for metal. By that I don't mean that wood doesn't affect the tone, because it does, I just mean that you can get metal guitars with alder bodies and maple necks (which are pretty bright) or with mahogany bodies and necks (which are pretty warm). It pretty much seems to be personal preference when it comes to that one.

Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
ryanbwags

I agree. Your list looks like an Ibanez to me.
Mahogany seems to be a more popular choice for metal guitars, in my experience. That doesn't mean they have to be mahogany, though.
EHX: Metal Muff
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
EHX: Big Muff Pi
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
ryanbwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
JGM258

Heavy metal is a very subjective term too. Metal is a pretty vague and un-defined genre, for some of it you will definitely want passives and for other types actives. Everything else is very subjective, you just have to get what floats your boat and forget about brands and specs.
JGM258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:22 AM   #7
ognjenmijatov

Thanks a lot guys!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
NewDayHappy
UG Senior Member

Get a Gibson SG Special.
NewDayHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
i_am_metalhead
Total Bum

I have a semi-hollow with Duncan Alnico II Pros that I use for metal. A lot of people wouldn't even consider it for the type of stuff I play, but it works for me and that's all that matters.

You can't let other people pick your gear. You have to choose what sounds and feels best to you.
i_am_metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:12 PM   #10
jon_six

mahogany would be a good choice... but i mean my main guitar is red cedar with a maple neck and maple fretboard and it sounds great for any genre.
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
jon_six is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: