Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
Tcrumpen

Ibanez or Schecter

Ok so pretty soon (within the next two months hopefully) i'm going to be buying a new guitar, i decided that as i don't have a good trem guitar (other than my £40 beginner guitar) that it would be beneficial to get one as some of the songs i'm wanting to learn recently to use a trem, and even if i don't end up using it, it's always nice to have the possability of using it

Now right now i seem to be focusing more on Metal and Hard rock however i have noticed that i seem to like some blues artists, namely SRV, however my main focus is more metal/hard rock (think Metallica, Ozzy, Orianthi, Sabbath, The Who, Van Halen ... list goes on)

Now i have only really been looking at Ibanez Premiums (can't afford prestige right now) however someone told me today to look at Scheters, but as i know so little about Scheter i have no idea whether they'd be good for me

My budget is anything upto £650; the current Ibanez i'm looking at is about £600 from GAK:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-rg97...w9yThoCv8fw_wcB

So what do you people recommend, i'm also back home with my parents in Essex near Clacton-on-Sea ...
Tcrumpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
JGM258

I don't know about Schecter, but in the US, Ibanez guitars have a resale value of approximately 45-60% if the original cost, so a Prestige may not be out of your budget.
They can be had for $500-700 (295 and 415 in pounds) easily here. You should be able to find one with a 650 pound budget even with the increased prices in Europe.
JGM258 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
YoShockray
Shufflin´ Rasta

Go for Ibanez, it's good all around guitar and in my opinion better than Schecter (globally looking). And maybe look around in ads or something like that to maybe buy even cheaper and MAYBE get a guitar that was initially out of your budget.
3.Play guitar!
5.Guys I know that here are 5 to do´s
YoShockray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
legolas220

Schecters are good guitars, but if you can find one, i'd buy the prestige.
legolas220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
Tcrumpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoShockray
Go for Ibanez, it's good all around guitar and in my opinion better than Schecter (globally looking). And maybe look around in ads or something like that to maybe buy even cheaper and MAYBE get a guitar that was initially out of your budget.

I did see a 2nd hand prestige on guitarguitar for £650 but it's been there for weeks
Old 07-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
YoShockray
Shufflin´ Rasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolas220
Schecters are good guitars, but if you can find one, i'd buy the prestige.

They are for sure, but I prefer Ibanez ones. Don't know why, to be honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcrumpen
I did see a 2nd hand prestige on guitarguitar for £650 but it's been there for weeks

My advice is to buy safe, so skip that one
3.Play guitar!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
Tcrumpen

Quote:
They are for sure, but I prefer Ibanez ones. Don't know why, to be honest

My advice is to buy safe, so skip that one

how do you mean buy safe?
Old 07-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
YoShockray
Shufflin´ Rasta

Quote:
how do you mean buy safe?

Buy from sources you trust, that's what I meant. Sorry for misunderstanding.
3.Play guitar!
Old 07-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
Tcrumpen

Quote:
Buy from sources you trust, that's what I meant. Sorry for misunderstanding.

oh guitarguitar is a sotre i would trust they are "the biggest guitar sale company in the UK"
Old 07-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
YoShockray
Shufflin´ Rasta

Oh, I thought it was something other, yeah GG is good to buy even if you live outside UK.
3.Play guitar!
Old 07-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/sear...ery=Last%20Ever

or keep an eye out for a prestige. you can sometimes find prestiges for around £600 if you're lucky.

EDIT: single coils would probably be helpful for srv

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
Tcrumpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/sear...ery=Last%20Ever

or keep an eye out for a prestige. you can sometimes find prestiges for around £600 if you're lucky.

EDIT: single coils would probably be helpful for srv

I don't plan on playing SRV anytime soon i ant that good :p, i don't really know any good internet sites for guitars beyond Gear4Music, Gak and GuitarGuitar

I don't really trust ebay (generally) if i'm buying something expensive
Old 07-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #13
Archer250

Oh and if you find Prestiges, try to aim for 2xxx and 3xxx UNLESS it's an old Prestige. The reason being that, quality control and hardware excluded, they're not so much different from the higher-end Imdo-made guitars
Maxon SM9 Pro+
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power ISO5
Dunlop Tortex Picks .88 and 1.00mm
Planet Waves Lock Strap
Archer250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
the_bi99man

You should absolutely take that somebody's advice and at least try out some Schecters. I play and Schecter that I've had for 8 years, and I've worked the last year in a store where we carry them, and I've got nothing but great things to say about them. Especially their trem guitars. Unlike some other companies, they don't use any cheap licensed Floyds. They use Original Floyd Rose trems, or at the very least, Floyd Rose Specials on the lower end models, which are the exact same design as Original, just with cheaper material. The licensed ones almost always suck.

I don't know what kind of pricing they use in the UK, but if their prices are the same as US, based on current exchange rates, your budget is around $1000US, which will get you pretty much anything but the absolute highest end Schecters. So, definitely find a dealer with some Schecters and check them out at least. I don't have as much experience with Ibanez, but I've really liked the ones I've played. Just try out a bunch.
the_bi99man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #15
EddieHet

Can't $1000 USD buy a Carvin?

EDIT: Oops UK
Old 07-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #16
liampje
UG Addict

I learned about Ibanez that everything will dissapoint you except the prestige models. So either get a used prestige, which would be around a premium price. Or try to learn more about schecter guitars. I heard they were pretty good.
liampje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #17
Archer250

Quote:
Originally Posted by liampje
I learned about Ibanez that everything will dissapoint you except the prestige models. So either get a used prestige, which would be around a premium price. Or try to learn more about schecter guitars. I heard they were pretty good.

$500 is premium price? Yes, you could theoretically find used Prestiges that low in price. I can actually get a 90s 570 for less than the price some GIOs too depending on where I look and how lucky I am.

Hell, last I checked, there's a J-Custom listing for a grand on Ebay.
Maxon SM9 Pro+
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power ISO5
Dunlop Tortex Picks .88 and 1.00mm
Planet Waves Lock Strap
Archer250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #18
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
I don't plan on playing SRV anytime soon i ant that good :p, i don't really know any good internet sites for guitars beyond Gear4Music, Gak and GuitarGuitar

I don't really trust ebay (generally) if i'm buying something expensive

no worries about ebay

richtone is legit, though, i've bought from it a couple of times and it was fine. obviously that's no guarantee your purchase will go 100% smoothly, but yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bi99man
You should absolutely take that somebody's advice and at least try out some Schecters. I play and Schecter that I've had for 8 years, and I've worked the last year in a store where we carry them, and I've got nothing but great things to say about them. Especially their trem guitars. Unlike some other companies, they don't use any cheap licensed Floyds. They use Original Floyd Rose trems, or at the very least, Floyd Rose Specials on the lower end models, which are the exact same design as Original, just with cheaper material. The licensed ones almost always suck.

I don't know what kind of pricing they use in the UK, but if their prices are the same as US, based on current exchange rates, your budget is around $1000US, which will get you pretty much anything but the absolute highest end Schecters. So, definitely find a dealer with some Schecters and check them out at least. I don't have as much experience with Ibanez, but I've really liked the ones I've played. Just try out a bunch.

to be fair, the specials are still pretty much cheap, just floyd-branded.

and schecter prices are pretty dear in the UK, if you ask me.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:07 PM   #19
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Ok so pretty soon (within the next two months hopefully) i'm going to be buying a new guitar, i decided that as i don't have a good trem guitar (other than my £40 beginner guitar) that it would be beneficial to get one as some of the songs i'm wanting to learn recently to use a trem, and even if i don't end up using it, it's always nice to have the possability of using it

Now right now i seem to be focusing more on Metal and Hard rock however i have noticed that i seem to like some blues artists, namely SRV, however my main focus is more metal/hard rock (think Metallica, Ozzy, Orianthi, Sabbath, The Who, Van Halen ... list goes on)

Now i have only really been looking at Ibanez Premiums (can't afford prestige right now) however someone told me today to look at Scheters, but as i know so little about Scheter i have no idea whether they'd be good for me

My budget is anything upto £650; the current Ibanez i'm looking at is about £600 from GAK:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-rg97...w9yThoCv8fw_wcB

So what do you people recommend, i'm also back home with my parents in Essex near Clacton-on-Sea ...

In addition to the suggestions above, I'm going to add these:

Reverend Guitars,
http://www.reverendguitars.com/inst...kingbolt-ra-fm/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/bayonet-fm/

...available in the UK here:
http://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk

Fernandes Guitars- largely aimed at hard rock and metal players- has a few good options for you available in their UK online store:
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.co.uk

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:14 PM   #20
jon_six

ibanez for sure. schecter is trash IMO
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
jon_six is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: