Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Tried my aspiring guitar today, wasn't impressed.

I really want to get rid of my Ibanez, since even though it is a reliable and overall nice guitar it doesn't fit my style anymore, with the wizard neck and the locking trem. I do really like fenders, both strats and teles, so I figured that the Fender Blacktop would be a fitting instrument for a good price.

So, I ran into one by accident today at the music store (I wanted to try out a few gibsons), and naturally tried it. It had the comfy strat neck and a cool look, but with one problem: gloss neck. My hands stuck to it like glue, and the summer heat doesn't help.

Now I need a new guitar to save for. I really didn't like the blacktop neck, so that isn't my goal anymore, gloss necks are the bane of my existence. Here's the usual:

Necessary specs: Humbuckers, no locking trem, 6 strings, solid body and apparently no gloss neck.
Preferred specs: 25,5 inch scale, fixed bridge, lightweight.
Genres: Based on metal and rock, but versatile with much room for experimentation.
Budget: Somewhere around 600-800 euros would be ideal.
Location: Finland, I'm okay with online shopping and shipping.
Both used and new are fine

I like fender necks most, and I also tried an SG today and it had a nice neck too. I play through a Peavey 6505+112.

Thanks for your opinions

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112

Last edited by guitar/bass95 : 07-30-2014 at 01:52 PM.
guitar/bass95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
JustRooster
Organ Donor

http://www.reverendguitars.com/

A lot of these sound perfect for you.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Oh yes, the lovely Reverends The Bayonet and the Warhawk RT are so beautiful. I'm not sure how it works if I order from the states, but if I find one used here in europe I might seriously consider it. Thanks for reminding me that these exist

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
Old 07-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Duv
androgynous fishcake

I had a gloss neck on a Jag I once had, and with a bit of wet sanding I got it nice and satin-ey...

Duv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
I had a gloss neck on a Jag I once had, and with a bit of wet sanding I got it nice and satin-ey...

But I really don't want to sand the neck of my next guitar, if I'm going to spend a lot of my money on a single, reliable guitar I'd rather not start messing with it right away. I appreciate the idea, but it's not what I'm looking for right new.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
Old 07-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
joshpasson

Guitar tech here: all necks, glossed or not, get sticky. some 1000 grit, working your way up to 2000/2.5K grit is gonna get a satin'y look, but smooth as melted butter. I treat all of my necks this way, and when a customer requests the service, it's like I handed them a new instrument.

just my two cents.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar/bass95
But I really don't want to sand the neck of my next guitar, if I'm going to spend a lot of my money on a single, reliable guitar I'd rather not start messing with it right away. I appreciate the idea, but it's not what I'm looking for right new.

Why not? Satinizing a neck is such an incredibly easy thing to do and it takes no time at all. If the Blacktop ticks all the other boxes, then I think ruling it out just because the neck is finished in gloss would be a mistake. It's just too easy to fix, to not be.

It would be like ruling a guitar out just because the string nut action is a bit high, when that's something that can be easily fixed.

It's not really going to devalue the guitar either because the satin finish will eventually wear off with play and effectively the neck will eventually become glossy again. Just as it does with any guitar that has a satin finish which gets played a lot.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 07-30-2014 at 03:26 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Oh yes, the lovely Reverends The Bayonet and the Warhawk RT are so beautiful. I'm not sure how it works if I order from the states, but if I find one used here in europe I might seriously consider it. Thanks for reminding me that these exist

JustRooster is stealing my thunder!

To follow up, there are some European retailers who sell Revs, including at least 1 in Finland.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/dealers-2/

You might also check eBay (I know, I know) and Reverb for used models. I find a lot of decent to good deals on them on both sites, and some of the sellers will ship internationally.

Bonus tip: there's a few older Reverends that were made in the USA* on those sites right now, typically going for @$900-1800. Those are some sweet, fine axes if you find one in your budget.

* as opposed to the current production, which, while excellent, are all made in S. Korea (if that matters to you).

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpasson
Guitar tech here: all necks, glossed or not, get sticky. some 1000 grit, working your way up to 2000/2.5K grit is gonna get a satin'y look, but smooth as melted butter. I treat all of my necks this way, and when a customer requests the service, it's like I handed them a new instrument.

just my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Why not? Satinizing a neck is such an incredibly easy thing to do and it takes no time at all. If the Blacktop ticks all the other boxes, then I think ruling it out just because the neck is finished in gloss would be a mistake. It's just too easy to fix, to not be.

It would be like ruling a guitar out just because the string nut action is a bit high, when that's something that can be easily fixed.

Thanks for the tips, I might consider it then. But trust me, I'd rather not do anything related to carpentry, and I don't want to pay extra for a tech. But well, I will think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
JustRooster is stealing my thunder!

To follow up, there are some European retailers who sell Revs, including at least 1 in Finland.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/dealers-2/

You might also check eBay (I know, I know) and Reverb for used models. I find a lot of decent to good deals on them on both sites, and some of the sellers will ship internationally.

Bonus tip: there's a few older Reverends that were made in the USA* on those sites right now, typically going for @$900-1800. Those are some sweet, fine axes if you find one in your budget.

* as opposed to the current production, which, while excellent, are all made in S. Korea (if that matters to you).

I didn't know that, thanks And nothing against ebay, they have some great deals there, and so does reverb. Thanks for the heads up too

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
Old 07-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #10
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, I might consider it then. But trust me, I'd rather not do anything related to carpentry, and I don't want to pay extra for a tech. But well, I will think about it.

Just take a piece of 800 grit sandpaper, put a couple of pieces of tape around the area of the neck you want to be satin, and rub the whole area evenly until you get the feel you desire. It's that simple. You really cannot mess it up.

You could use progressively finer grits if you wanted. But for me, a single sheet of 800 is fine.

(´・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 07-30-2014 at 03:32 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #11
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Okay, I will definitely consider it, but I really don't feel comfortable with it. I can mess up a whole lot of unmessuppable things when it comes to woodworks. But I really appreciate the tips on how to do it, I know that I have to learn stuff like that in some point of my life, but I'd rather do it with a backup first, not my only instrument.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
Old 07-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #12
ryanbwags

Don't be too worried about screwing anything up. You aren't going to take off too much wood with anything above 800 grit paper. You shouldn't even get all the way through the gloss coat on the neck. A couple passes with barely any pressure will satin up the neck in no time.
I don't know if you can watch this video in Finland, but this is basically what we are talking about.

I personally wouldn't use the abrasive pads, though.
EHX: Metal Muff
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
EHX: Big Muff Pi
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer

Last edited by ryanbwags : 07-30-2014 at 04:07 PM.
ryanbwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:12 PM   #13
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

I can, thanks you all do a good job of convincing someone though if you're sure that I cannot grind the back of the neck off, maybe I'll just stay with my plans and satin the neck up. But I have to say the the reverends caught my attention too... well, I believe that there is no such thing as too much good options

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
Old 07-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #14
jfreund

Just got rid of my Blacktop Strat. Moved up to a Les Paul Studio Deluxe II 60 neck.
Much happier now
jfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #15
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreund
Just got rid of my Blacktop Strat. Moved up to a Les Paul Studio Deluxe II 60 neck.
Much happier now

Well, we're not the same person funny though, I tried an LP studio on the same trip to the store, and I loved it. But I'm still not sure how I feel about the neck, it might not work for me.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
Old 07-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #16
dannyalcatraz

Hagstrom guitars- pretty good rep- might also have some good options, though they're a bit more conventional in appearance than my beloved Reverends.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #17
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Hagstrom guitars- pretty good rep- might also have some good options, though they're a bit more conventional in appearance than my beloved Reverends.

Yeah, they did catch my attention by making LP's with a 25,5'' neck. I'm not sure if I can try one myself which is always a downside, but they're not rare or anything so a store might well have them in stock somewhere.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
Old 07-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #18
the_bi99man

Try out some Schecters. They've got great guitars in that price range. Just go to a store that carries them and play some. You'll probably be impressed.
the_bi99man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:40 PM   #19
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Yeah, they did catch my attention by making LP's with a 25,5'' neck. I'm not sure if I can try one myself which is always a downside, but they're not rare or anything so a store might well have them in stock somewhere.

I've checked out a couple of used Hagstroms, and was impressed with the feel of them. Didn't have a chance to plug in, though. I know the Zappas are BIG fans of them, though.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:29 AM   #20
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

I've heard that Schecters have a really fat neck, so I'm a bit skeptical, but if I can find one I'll try it.

I checked the Hagström dealers, and the closest one is a two hour drive away. If I have some other business there, I'll check them out at the same time.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112

Rate This Thread: