Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-31-2014, 11:32 PM   #21
JGM258

Well I went to GC today for 3 hours and I came back with the same esp, finding nothing that I felt hit me home. I did really like the Fender American Deluxe HSH Strat I played, I would have taken it home if it didn't have so much fretbuzz (even after the luthier messed with it for 15 minutes)...

I'll try to go back tomorrow if I can, bringing my own amp this time and trying some things even a little under budget. Perhaps I can find something a little cheaper that "feels" right (my ceiling is right at $1800, $2k with tax would probably be too much) I will fool around there one or two more times and something should ring a bell. I was surprised I didn't like alot of the bridge pickups on the axes I tried out (LP trads, JP MM's, USA strats), maybe it was the Blackstar amp I was using (series one 100 watt) but I was generally unimpressed with what I played today. I'll keep you posted but I'm pretty darn sure I'm trading the ESP in and getting something else. Thanks for all the comments!

JGM258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:53 AM   #22
EyeballPaul

As said above.Try them out until you find the one.I found my dream girl the other day(LP standard) but i tried 2 of the same model out and the one i bought felt perfect,The other did'nt.
MIJ 84/85 Tele
Fender Baja Tele
Marshall DSL100H
TS808,TC Flashback,Dirty Little Secret MKIII,Morley Wah,Bad Monkey,Digitech Main Squeeze
EyeballPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #23
anders.jorgense

Finding the one?

Tough one indeed.

As for me my homebuild strat was never sold due the value of a project and so I kept it. Then I got used to be playing it and the sounds which as I was told got very good comments. It is a challenge playing it and I guess that is why I love it really.

My Jackson RR was a burning desire and it took some years to take action towards the process of actually getting it to Denmark. When it was time to go and get it the shape felt right along with everything else. So desire and feel right from the start which is why I do love it and keep it.

Looking back I went through different shapes and got some experience of how I wanted a guitar to be as I had no idea when I got my first cheap Applause strat copy. Quite a few trades where done until it turned out to be a strat and Jackson RR that I wanted.

However the process of getting a $5500 Jackson kept me going for other guitars and while it was a good experience they never felt right for whatever reason in the longer run.

Do you have the dream guitar in you mind at this point? Be honest with yourself. If not then you need to find what you want and the more you can go into detail the better as goals has to be precise to be accomplished. A certain brand, neck, pickups, shape,color, neck through or bolt on, tremolo etc. If your store does not have it try somewhere else. Even used or homebuild/luthier might be the one.
anders.jorgense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #24
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
But I know what you mean and I agree- it doesn't trump personal preference. Like if a michellin-starred chef made me a dish with an ingredient I hated, I'd still hate it.

Yes, exactly.

TS: Don't judge a guitar too much based on its sound. It's a waste of time. Unless you're in love with the JB, Tone Zone and 81. Because that's all you're going to find 95% of the time, besides the Fender/Gibson/PRS in-house stuff, which is also just what it is.

Judge with your hands, not your ears. A great sounding guitar doesn't mean anything if you don't like playing it. There's tons of aftermarket pickups out there, and that's another whole world of fun.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #25
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

It's always nice to buy something expensive and be blown away by it, but hey. As for buying before you play (online), can be ok, check the model in a shop, then order it online. Depending on manufacturer they can be fairly consistent or not. Most important from either is a good setup, some shops may have a bad setup and old strings on a guitar that is actually amazing when setup right. Most bad guitars (other than hardware or neck damage) can be setup pretty sweet and outplay expensive ones that are even just a bit off.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #26
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Yes, exactly.

TS: Don't judge a guitar too much based on its sound. It's a waste of time. Unless you're in love with the JB, Tone Zone and 81. Because that's all you're going to find 95% of the time, besides the Fender/Gibson/PRS in-house stuff, which is also just what it is.

Judge with your hands, not your ears. A great sounding guitar doesn't mean anything if you don't like playing it. There's tons of aftermarket pickups out there, and that's another whole world of fun.

Yeah

And yeah agreed. I suppose trying the thing unplugged is worth doing if you're thinking of swapping pickups. Though I'm not sure if even that's a hard and fast rule. Most floyd guitars don't sound amazing unplugged but sound just fine plugged in (with a high gain amp at least, and in my opinion).

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #27
kennym9898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowthewitch
I priced out a Carvin built to my specifications. I came out to just over 1800 USD. Alas it was beyond my budget. It sounds like you have a budget to get a really nice Carvin complete with a real FR.

For what it's worth Tony MacAlpine played Carvin's for years. So that's a pretty good indication that they're high quality...

Don't be afraid to check out Carvin. I just bought their SCB6 and couldn't be happier with it. I ordered another Carvin Acoustic/electric also, still waiting for it to be built. They have a 10 free trial, if you don't like anything about it return it. I wish I would have given them a try before I did.
kennym9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:50 AM   #28
Mister A.J.
Ker-Blang-a-Woggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowthewitch
For what it's worth Tony MacAlpine played Carvin's for years. So that's a pretty good indication that they're high quality...

I can second that. My CT7 is the best instrument I have ever owned. It's also pretty damn hot.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
show
Mister A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:29 AM   #29
Jock68

Play more guitars, buy and sell more guitars. Listen to what they tell you after the honeymoon is over. You will find that guitar and once you do you will never sell it, and cost does not come in to it. I have a Bacchus LP and it feels and plays better than either of my two Les Paul Customs.

Jock
Jock68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:42 PM   #30
JGM258

Well thank goodness I found something MUCH better that has dem feels. I'll try to post a NGD tomorrow. Thank you all for all the help, you guys are the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Yes, exactly.

Darn good info right hear. I'll be asking for info soon enough about pedals/pups/effects for my beloved Queensryche tone(Operation Mindcrime), but for now I am so much happier and relieved to have found an axe that feels like it was custom built for my hands even if the specs aren't exactly as I would have wanted them. But honestly I don't care if it doesn't have 24 frets or a FR, its the one for me.

Last edited by JGM258 : 08-02-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #31
dannyalcatraz

Sometimes our hands know what we want more than our heads do.

Y'know...

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:27 AM   #32
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Well, dont leave us hanging!

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #33
RBM01991

Dude.....Out GC or our Sam Ash doesn't really have the greatest selection though and we both know that I go there about once a week and their selection still isn't all that great. What happened to that PRS you had though? It was actually a decent guitar lol

EDIT: Dude, if you wanna play my Carvin please let me know, I'd love to see someone else get a hold of one, they're exceptionally good guitars for the money.
1990 Charvette 100
Unknown Year Ovation CP 247
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Musician's Gear Power Conditioner
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Reaper 4.58
Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds

Last edited by RBM01991 : 08-03-2014 at 09:32 AM.
RBM01991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #34
JGM258

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBM01991
Dude.....Out GC or our Sam Ash doesn't really have the greatest selection though and we both know that I go there about once a week and their selection still isn't all that great. What happened to that PRS you had though? It was actually a decent guitar lol

EDIT: Dude, if you wanna play my Carvin please let me know, I'd love to see someone else get a hold of one, they're exceptionally good guitars for the money.

Yeah our selection is pretty crappy unless you want a Gibson or Fender you are likely going to have to order something in. They just don't stock much of anything else. I've never seen a high end ESP or Jackson stocked there, new or used

Since I was lucky enough to run into some money, the PRS went towards this purchase. Al and Josh (the luthier, high school classmate of mine) were able to help me out on pricing (15%), otherwise I would have gone for a Carvin, my instructor has two of them and they are some mighty fine instruments. I hope to get one someday, before I meet a wife and am forced to sell it off

Thanks for the offer though, I really would hove a Carvin quilt top someday.

NGD thread will be up today.

Rate This Thread: