Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-02-2014, 01:48 AM   #21
dcb4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Well, what do you want to upgrade? Do you want a different tone? Better quality electronics or mechanical parts? Does the standard Strat bridge bother you? (Bugs the crap out of me, lol.)

Well yes, I guess I am searching for a different tone. I want to find something that is quite warm, yet has a nice sharp attack.

Yes I am kinda interested in the whole of the guitar. I am not very guitar tech knowledable. Ive been playing for 4-5 years but not a wizard when it comes to how this sounds different than that, and why... so I am interested in better quality electronic parts and mechanical parts. the standard bridge is bothering me but maybe not as much as others because im not very familiar with much else.
dcb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #22
paul.housley.7

Here is some help for you:
This guy here I think does some good tone demos. It'll help you to hear the difference between the pickups and different positions. This particular model is the American Standard Fat Strat but he has a bunch of others as well.

Now here is a tone demo between MiM and MiA that demonstrates how close they are, but you can also hear that the MiA is just a little bit sweeter.

Here you will find a pretty comprehensive overview of the different models, and a particularly telling demonstration of tuning stability with each. Now the MiM strat might not go out of tune so quick if it had a better nut and a good setup but the MiA strat puts up with the abuse in spite of being fresh out of box.
paul.housley.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #23
dcb4

Thats cool and all but my question is less the differences between MiM and MiA and more good accessories to mod a MiM like bridges, pick ups, nuts, tuning pegs etc
Old 08-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #24
paul.housley.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb4
Thats cool and all but my question is less the differences between MiM and MiA and more good accessories to mod a MiM like bridges, pick ups, nuts, tuning pegs etc

Yeah it's really cool!

But my answer is more like - here's MiA stuff, if you like MiA stuff then slap some MiA stuff on your MiM.
So it is more specific than you probably thought, but I also can see how I gave you the wrong idea.

Me - I just like the MiA stuff. I like the Eric Johnson Strat (as it seems almost everyone does) and I like the MiA Standard pickups better than most of the upgrades. My brother-in-law offered to sell me his 97 MiA Lonestar Strat - it's even in a color that I like - but I don't want the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates humbucker or the Texas Specials. I'd rather just have a stock HSS Strat. I think they sound better.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #25
dcb4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.housley.7
Yeah it's really cool!

But my answer is more like - here's MiA stuff, if you like MiA stuff then slap some MiA stuff on your MiM.
So it is more specific than you probably thought, but I also can see how I gave you the wrong idea.

Me - I just like the MiA stuff. I like the Eric Johnson Strat (as it seems almost everyone does) and I like the MiA Standard pickups better than most of the upgrades. My brother-in-law offered to sell me his 97 MiA Lonestar Strat - it's even in a color that I like - but I don't want the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates humbucker or the Texas Specials. I'd rather just have a stock HSS Strat. I think they sound better.

ahhh i see, hmm havent thought of it like that. interesting. ill look into it... and suggestions? like what are the names of some of these things i can look up?
Old 08-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #26
paul.housley.7

The HSS pickups that i like are called fat 50s. The single coils that is. Then the humbucker is a diamondback. Both available at Fender's website but i bet you can save significantly if you just find a loaded pickguard for sale.

Rate This Thread: