Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #1
TheJawsOfDeath

NGD Squier Strat

I was browsing Craigslist today and came across this Squier standard Strat. I had been meaning to pick up a cheaper guitar to bring with me to the local open jam night at the bar...I get nervous bringing any of my nice guitars along. Met the person selling it, decided it seemed pretty OK, walked out with it for $50. Can't beat that! There are a lot of surface scratches but no deep gouges, dings, or chipped paint. The only thing that's really wrong with it (as far as I can tell so far) is that the selector switch needs to be cleaned or replaced. No biggie. I tweaked the setup when I bought it home, plugged it in, and I gotta say I really like this thing! I mean, $50 is a steal, but this little guitar holds its own pretty well. It has the small headstock, made in Korea, and looking up the serial number shows it was made in 1992.

Gonna fix the switch, re string it, and play it for a while before I decide on any potential upgrades. I've got this weird urge to put some p90's in it though... Time will tell.
TheJawsOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:30 PM   #2
absolutorigin

Nothing like Strat! Cool guitar there man.
absolutorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
TheJawsOfDeath

Thanks! I love finding usable gear for cheap. And I've never owned an actual strat (some will argue a squier isn't really a stratocaster but whatever), let alone a guitar with single coils or a maple fretboard, so this is pretty fun. I've been looking at GFS and it seems like another $50 would go a long way. Probably some new tuners first. I'm intrigued by the GFS pickups, they're so cheap but get pretty good reviews. I actually think the stock ones sound decent, but I don't think I have an ear for single coils yet like I do with humbuckers if that makes any sense
Old 08-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

sweet hard to go wrong for $50

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
gregs1020
Hi mom!

awesome.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJawsOfDeath
It has the small headstock, made in Korea, and looking up the serial number shows it was made in 1992.

Gonna fix the switch, re string it, and play it for a while before I decide on any potential upgrades. I've got this weird urge to put some p90's in it though... Time will tell.

Nice score!

Do you mean 3xP90? Or P90/S/S? Or what?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
Smigzy
Banned

Nice pick up. Can't believe you got it for $50

. I have a newer squire standard strat(2010-2011 with the larger 70s headstock). I love this guitar and still continue to play it even though I own a MIA strat and a PRS SE. It is not the end all be all of guitars but really it IS a great guitar is you don't have $1g plus to spend.

Squire gets a lot of hate. Mainly due to their bullet one and starter pack strats. But the standard series, classic vibes, and vintage modifieds are better then anything that has came out of Mexico since the late 90s early 2000s
Smigzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
samuraigoomba

Fifty bucks is definitely the right price.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
TheJawsOfDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Nice score!

Do you mean 3xP90? Or P90/S/S? Or what?

You know, I haven't exactly figured that out yet! I've been watching videos of p90 strats, trying to decide for sure if it's what I want to do. I was thinking 2xp90's but p90/s/s is an interesting thought. When I had the pickguard off I found it's routed H-S-H so 3x 90's wouldn't be an option unless I route out the cavity.

I fixed the switch today. All I had to do was scrape the corrosion from the contacts, works like a charm now. The inside of the cavity was all painted so I can't tell what kind of wood the body is. Plywood maybe? Hopefully not. It seems to resonate pretty well, doesn't sound dead or anything.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Hmm...if it's routed HSH, you might not be able to fit se standard P90s in at all.

However, there are such things as HB-sized P90s, and there are even a few singlecoil-sized P90s out there. Of course, they don't sound EXACTLY like P90s, but some of the higher-end ones sound more like P90s than cheap P90s do.*

So you don't have to do any woodwork if you don't want to.

* of course! almost any pickup you buy will cost more than what you paid for the guitar, but so what?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 08-02-2014 at 11:22 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:32 AM   #11
TheJawsOfDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Hmm...if it's routed HSH, you might not be able to fit se standard P90s in at all.

However, there are such things as HB-sized P90s, and there are even a few singlecoil-sized P90s out there. Of course, they don't sound EXACTLY like P90s, but some of the higher-end ones sound more like P90s than cheap P90s do.*

So you don't have to do any woodwork if you don't want to.

* of course! almost any pickup you buy will cost more than what you paid for the guitar, but so what?

Yeah, exactly right about the cost of it. On one hand, only paying $50 for the guitar leaves room in my budget for other stuff. On the other hand, I don't think I can bring myself to putting more parts into this guitar than it's actually worth. This thing is probably worth what, $100 TOPS? Maybe I'll set a limit - I'll only let myself put another $50 into it.

I don't mind going after the pickup cavity with my router if I have to. How much longer than a humbucker is a P90 anyway, I wonder. Probably wouldn't take much to make it fit.

Maybe a P90 in the bridge and a telecaster neck pickup!
Old 08-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
EyeballPaul

Nice price!HNGD!!
MIM Std Tele
Marshall DSL100H
TS808,TC Flashback,Dirty Little Secret MKIII,Morley Wah,Bad Monkey,Digitech Main Squeeze
EyeballPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:38 AM   #13
romeozdistress

HNGD. I just ordered one of these myself. but mine was $152 shipped, appears to be in good condition GC rated it in Great condition. pretty excited. Just got it to tide me over until tax time. Wanted something to explore other genres of music outside of metal. but congrats bro.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:44 AM   #14
peskypesky

You got a SWEET deal. A Korean-made Standard for $50?? That's a deal I'd take any day of the year. I've been playing one of my modded Squier Bullets all evening and having a blast.
peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:46 AM   #15
romeozdistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypesky
You got a SWEET deal. A Korean-made Standard for $50?? That's a deal I'd take any day of the year. I've been playing one of my modded Squier Bullets all evening and having a blast.

having a bullet for a bit discpuraged me with squier but i decided to give it another shot.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
Old 08-05-2014, 12:52 AM   #16
peskypesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeozdistress
having a bullet for a bit discpuraged me with squier but i decided to give it another shot.

I've got three Bullets. I give them good setups and mod some parts, and they get a lot of play. My Classic Vibe sits in the closet most of the time because I like my Bullets so much.
peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:03 AM   #17
romeozdistress

ohh okay yeah. i couldnt get it to stay in tune. just wasnt a fan. got rid of it. i needed another guitar. i plan opn throwing a dragonfire crusade pickguard in it. should be cool. long live squier!
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
Old 08-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #18
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

HNGD!

People underestimate Squier guitars, IMHO. They're usually pretty good, and their quality control is pretty consistent (with the exception of the Bullets, which are hit-and-miss).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJawsOfDeath
Thanks! I love finding usable gear for cheap. And I've never owned an actual strat (some will argue a squier isn't really a stratocaster but whatever), let alone a guitar with single coils or a maple fretboard, so this is pretty fun. I've been looking at GFS and it seems like another $50 would go a long way. Probably some new tuners first. I'm intrigued by the GFS pickups, they're so cheap but get pretty good reviews. I actually think the stock ones sound decent, but I don't think I have an ear for single coils yet like I do with humbuckers if that makes any sense

Coincidentally, I just bought a Kramer copy from the '90s for 40€, and it's my first guitar with a maple fretboard.

It needs some work and some new hardware (one tuner is broken and a knob is missing), and I'm considering GFS too.
New tuners, nut, bridge pickup, electronic, knobs, and maybe even a new bridge since they're so affordable.

If you decide on going with GFS, I'd love to hear your feedback on their hardware.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #19
Carrot
UG's only carrot

I bought a pool routed squire strat body and Mim fender neck for £50 total. The parts without pickups have already cost me £80, pickups are another £60.

Great sounding guitar but like you i was hesitant as putting so much money into to.

'13 PRS Custom 24 SE IG rolling mills
07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
11 Micheal Kelly Patriot Premium
14 Fender strat HH
14 Fender strat HH

Jet City JCA50H
Zilla studio pro 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:08 AM   #20
TheJawsOfDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypesky

Thanks! Sounds like the consensus is there's some good potential here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrot
I bought a pool routed squire strat body and Mim fender neck for £50 total. The parts without pickups have already cost me £80, pickups are another £60.

Great sounding guitar but like you i was hesitant as putting so much money into to.

What pickups are you using? I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who has tried the GFS single coils.

Rate This Thread: