Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-02-2014, 01:34 AM   #1
dannyalcatraz

Unusual guitar configurations

Once upon a time, I had a hankerin' for a hardtail HSS guitar, and found out that they're...pretty rare. I eventually had one custom built. Shortly thereafter, I found that Licea made one. But I really haven't seen that many out there.

Similarly, Hagstrom is one of the few makers I can think of doing a Lp clone in 25.5" scale.

Reverend, Fender, Nik Huber and a few others make guitars with bridge HBs and a P90 of some kind in the neck. And Fret-King borrows a page from Parker and expands the possibilities of the HB/P90 design with a (surprisingly affordable) semihollow featuring an additional piezo system.

What unusual guitar designs have you encountered that you think are cool?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

p90/s/s is quite nice

also a tele bridge pickup with strat middle and neck single coils

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
gregs1020
Hi mom!

no dave, neck p90.

kinda want.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
p90/s/s is quite nice

Ah, yeah- Fret King has a couple of those.

Quote:
also a tele bridge pickup with strat middle and neck single coils

Certain versions of Reverend's Six Gun have been made that way.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
dannyalcatraz

Oh yeah, when I asked this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
What unusual guitar designs have you encountered that you think are cool?

I forgot to ALSO ask, "...and who makes guitars like that?"

Old 08-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
no dave, neck p90.

kinda want.

yeah i was actually gonna say (but was lazy and wussed out ) that a tele bridge, strat middle and humbucker/mini humbucker/p90 in the neck might be cool too. I'd like to try that, as well. I think fretking has a thinline tele with tele bridge, strat middle and full-sized humbucker neck, but I haven't tried it.

Quote:
Ah, yeah- Fret King has a couple of those.

Certain versions of Reverend's Six Gun have been made that way.

yeah my fretking tele has the tele/s/s layout and superstrat has the p90/s/s layout. I suspect (having not tried it) to get the most out of the p90/s/s layout you'd want a tap on the p90 for the in-between position (or even to get a more stratty tone out of the bridge pickup alone).

EDIT: vintage had a nice 3-p90 superstrat in the advance series (now discontinued). the p90s were stacked (i think iirc used both alnico and ceramic magnets), and sounded like p90s (ish) when in full-power mode, but sounded sort of strattish when split. I never got round to getting one but I always sort of had semi-gas for one if I had seen one cheap enough.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 08-02-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz

Tradition used to make a Teleclone that had an oddball configuration of 3 pickups, but they've simplified it to be a P90 in the neck and a Telecaster bridge pickup. Still unusual, but not as out there as it used to be.

Reverend has something similar, but with their RevTron miniHB in the neck instead of the P90.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 08-02-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah rev has a bunch of cool pickup layouts

italia (trev wilkinson/jhs brand like fret king and vintage) has some weird pickup layouts too and though I've never tried them i've heard some iffy things about build quality ("style over substance" is about the gist of them)

do you have a link to the tradition one? not sure I'm familiar with them.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

I had an Epi es339 Ultra recently that had hbs, a usb out and a nanomag acoustic pup on the end of the fretboard. It also had a separate jack and tone controls for the nanomag which, combined with looper, made for some incredible versatility and variety. Unfortunately it was a jack of all trades master of none guitar though.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Tradition recently moved from Fort Worth (big city) to Burleson, (small city) and seem to have trimmed their production accordingly. Of course, the limited production could all be temporary.

http://www.traditionguitars.com/default.html

Old 08-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1978
I had an Epi es339 Ultra recently that had hbs, a usb out and a nanomag acoustic pup on the end of the fretboard. It also had a separate jack and tone controls for the nanomag which, combined with looper, made for some incredible versatility and variety. Unfortunately it was a jack of all trades master of none guitar though.

You probably won't find a JoaT that nails anything particularly well until you start shelling out serious money. I know the Parkers that have HH/piezo or HSS/piezo sound great, but those cost thousands. Someday...

And I'd love to try out- no, OWN- a Crimson...

http://crimsonguitars.com/gallery/r...ripp-slim-vine/

Old 08-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz

Charlie Hunter is infamous for using 7 & 8 strings, but unlike most others, HIS are hybrid instruments. The lower 2 or3 strings are bass strings, while the upper 5 are all guitar strings, allowing him to play bass & guitar parts simultaneously or interchangeably.

As such, he needs special instruments. AFAIK, Charlie's are all made by Novax, but Wes Lambe makes similar instruments. Both makers designs feature fanned frets, dual outputs, and distinct bass and guitar pickups positioned under the relevant strings.

http://novaxguitars.com
http://www.wlguitars.com

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 08-02-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Tradition recently moved from Fort Worth (big city) to Burleson, (small city) and seem to have trimmed their production accordingly. Of course, the limited production could all be temporary.

http://www.traditionguitars.com/default.html

thanks EDIT: as you said, they don't seem to have that much on there at the moment, they have an S/P90 tele with a trem, though.

Quote:
You probably won't find a JoaT that nails anything particularly well until you start shelling out serious money. I know the Parkers that have HH/piezo or HSS/piezo sound great, but those cost thousands. Someday...

I dunno, even the expensive ones (granted, i haven't tried a parker) normally won't be as versatile as 5 separate guitars. I think with any JoaT guitar (or amp/pedal/etc.) you kind of have to adjust your expectations, if you're expecting to nail 15 different guitars' tones you're probably going to be disappointed. (Since I can feel dspellman watching this thread, I should also add I haven't tried a variax or an axe fx or anything like that.)

But if you need something that does an approximation of different "classic" tones, they can be great. Although what I said above sounds like I hate JoaT guitars, my favourite guitar type is probably a superstrat, if I had to pick just the one guitar.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 08-02-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
dannyalcatraz

I don't expect a piezo system to sound like an acoustic, just acoustic-ish. And my split coil HBs should sound single-ish.

If you look at a my collection, you'd see one Stratclone- so far- and a bunch of axes with HBs...most of which can split. I've got that hardtail HSS with a splittable HB, too, and I'm thinking about modding my Fret-King to do likewise.

So you can see, I'm WAY cool with JoaT guitars.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 08-02-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Oh yeah me too, I'd say most of my guitars are JoaT, apart from a few classics.

I agree with the "ish" thing as well. I know some people act like splits are horrible, and while I'd be the first to agree they normally aren't as nice as "real" singles, if you ask me they're usable at least in some situations, and you might as well have them.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #16
Ippon
Amped

Need one of these:

Old 08-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #17
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
Need one of these:

If you're gonna do it, do it right!
http://www.12stringbass.net/master....ss.net/b12l.htm

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 08-02-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #18
dspellman

I have a number of HSH guitars (Carvins), an old Samick HSS (variously with and without Floyds and Kahlers). I'm on the hunt for a Nighthawk Custom (Gibson) with a slanted humbucker in the bridge, single coil in the middle and mini-humbucker at the neck, five-way selector.

I've got a couple of Moonstones with Bartolini active pickups, including a master volume two-way treble boost and a six-way tone selector (something like a varitone, but not). My L6S has a six-way pickup selector, a Master volume, master treble rolloff, master mids rolloff. I've got a pair of LP style guitars, both of which have Axcess-style neck heels, one of which is neck-through. Both have Fernandes Sustainers with sustainer intensity pots, a single-coil-size humbuckers sharing the neck pickup ring with the Sustainer driver, and a sweepable active mids boost on a push-pull.

And there are three Variaxes -- one old 500 (they operate off piezos with internal modeling firmware, one Acoustic 700, which looks like a thinline acoustic guitar with a cutaway, but which is actually a solid mahogany guitar with acoustic models (including a nylon string) built in, and one new JTV-89F, which uses Graphtech Ghost saddles in the Floyd, and which can mix both magnetic pickups and Variax output.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #19
JustRooster
Organ Donor

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #20
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster

That's something I never would have thought to do. I have always been fond of guitars with bridge single coils and neck buckers, but having that one HB in the middle probably makes for some wild sounds

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: