Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
Roxas2219

Help wanted, have to decide on an acoustic guitar

So yeah, after years of playing a crappy acoustic I decided to fork up the money on a better one and save for it (I'm not in the US, so these things are quite expensive). In my budget, after a lot of searching, I am split between 5 guitars:
-Takamine 340 sc
-Epiphone ej200ce
-Talman Tcm 50
-Seagull Godin S6
-Fender CD 280

If it helps I play a bunch of stuff, mostly blur/beatles/harrison/petty/oasis (pop, classic rock, etc), I don't play hard rock, mostly mellow songs, I'd like a guitar that sounds good while unplugged, which is how I normally play. Can you help me out?
Roxas2219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
kndavid

Opinions are like elbows right? So were it me in your shoes I'd rank the one's you have and then go play them and find the one that feels right. My rankings:

1. Epiphone
2. Seagull
3. (Tie) Takamine & Fender
4. Talman

These are all in the $400-$700 dollar range but here's the thing - consider saving more to get into the next tier which would be the Martin's, Taylors, Gibson's and you may be happier in the long run. I picked up an incredibly 1971 Martin D-21 all Mahogany, chewed up, dinged, buckle rash - and for $1,200 it sounded better than anything new in the store up to $3,000. Just keep your options open and visit at least 3 places and play the guitars before making a decision! GL!
kndavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
Manovvar
Lord of the Fries

look into lado...not sure if they're still around(i believe was a guitar maker started them after leaving/retiring from gibson). really nice acoustic guitars, very nice and rich tone, nice playability, smaller necks and great bridge adjustments. very awesome acoustic for the price. (had an electric too by them, but it wasn't that great)

but if you have to choose between the ones you mentioned. go with the takamine even the cheap ones are not that bad. i have a 12 string that i got for 150, and it plays very nice.

i've tried some fenders which were meh, same as the godin and epiphone.

but if you really want a very affordable acoustic that plays fairly great, try out a few yamaha acoustics. i bought a cheap end one a long time ago, second-hand for around 100 bucks, it was a really nice sounding acoustic and never needed any maintenance. the neck was a little bulky, but not that bad. i only got rid of it coz i needed a bit of cash at the time, otherwise, i woulda kept it.
Manovvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxas2219
So yeah, after years of playing a crappy acoustic I decided to fork up the money on a better one and save for it (I'm not in the US, so these things are quite expensive). In my budget, after a lot of searching, I am split between 5 guitars:
-Takamine 340 sc
-Epiphone ej200ce
-Talman Tcm 50
-Seagull Godin S6
-Fender CD 280
The Epiphone EJ-200CE and the Seagull S-6 are like comparing apples and oranges. The EJ- is maple B & S, Spruce top, while the S-6 is "big leaf maple" B & S, with a cedar top.

Godin claims that "big leaf maple" sounds like mahogany, while the EJ's body sounds like maple , period.

I just bought an EJ-200, which I'm quite happy with. While Epiphone is usually assaulted for QA issues, I can't find anything wrong with this one. Plus, anything you find will be a solid top. Epiphone stopped making the laminated top models sometime in 2011.

With the EJ, you get electronics whether you want them or not. The Seagull's are optional at extra cost.

In any case, the S-6 is very popular, and by all accounts is excellent in sound quality.

If you have the opportunity, I'd suggest auditioning both, with an open mind.

The Ibanez "Talmans", are a bust, across the board.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
reverb66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxas2219
-Takamine 340 sc
-Epiphone ej200ce
-Talman Tcm 50
-Seagull Godin S6
-Fender CD 280

If it helps I play a bunch of stuff, mostly blur/beatles/harrison/petty/oasis (pop, classic rock, etc), I don't play hard rock, mostly mellow songs, I'd like a guitar that sounds good while unplugged, which is how I normally play. Can you help me out?

You're going about this all wrong. You have to play the actual instruments and compare them. There's too much variation in quality in that price range, even within certain models. Focus on tuning, action and intonation first and foremost.

In my experience, Yamaha is the most reliable guitar manufacturer in that price range, but again, you need to really test them out.

Start by ruling out any guitar with bad action. Then focus on tuning and intonation - you should play every note on the fretboard and look for dead spots or buzzing. Play all over the neck, because some guitars might sound fine in the lower register, and then sound out of tune higher up the neck ( bad intonation). The last thing you need to worry about is tone, save that test for last, because a great sounding guitar that has bad intonation and can't keep in tune is effectively a completely worthless guitar that will drive you crazy.

Good luck!
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i loved my seagull original S6 - it sounded beautiful, was well made and the wider nut and neck made it a joy to play. i wouldn't touch the talman with a ten foot pole - it sounds crappy.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #7
adenault

Just went through this. As one person mentioned you have to play them to find the tone you are looking for. My first trip to Guitar Center I played a few different guitars, yahama, eppiphone, a Taylor and a Gibson all in the $400-$700 range. The guy recommended a Seagull, I had never heard of them. Did some reading and reached out to a few friends that play/collect guitars and they agreed on the Seagull brand/sound/ and quality. I absolutely love my Seagull.

Again, make sure you play them all before making a decision, and play them st different times as the tones will change. Good luck.
adenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
alex.aird.9

Have to agree with some of the other posts in that you have to play them, as the thread "How to buy an acoustic. What guitar is right for you?" says "only YOU know what guitar is perfect for you" and despite seeming like a cop-out its true.

I was recently torn between a Freshman FA300GA and an Epiphone EJ-200CE and could only decide which one I wanted after playing both a few times over a couple of weeks, just remember if your in a good guitar shop there is no wrong answer
alex.aird.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
strat-O-matic92

You should check out Alvarez guitars. I have one and it sounds and plays great. Give them a try, and you wont be disappointed. I think I paid $319 for mine. Good luck
strat-O-matic92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: