Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
msarro

Newbie question - how do I reduce buzzing when my nail hits a ringing string?

The title says it all. I'm still new to guitars - I picked up a Kremona f65c 3 weeks ago, and am waiting to start formal lessons at the end of the month. In the meantime I have been practicing basic techniques - free strokes, rest strokes with each finger and the thumb.

I find that I can get consistent sounds now from each finger from drilling myself, BUT I still have a lot of instances where a ringing string will buzz as I move my finger towards it to play it again (the vibrating string starts buzzing against my nail).

How can i reduce or eliminate this? It seems to happen most after a free stroke, when moving to play the next free stroke.
msarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #2
stepchildusmc

simple but dreary answer... practice practice practice.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
Captaincranky

And then, practice some more.

Oh and BTW, you can't really have fingernails on your neck hand. All they really do is stop you from fretting cleanly. The callouses on your fingertips should touch the strings long before your nails do.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 08-17-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
msarro

Yup! I was referring to my picking/strumming/playing hand. I'm still getting used to having short nails on my fret hand and long nails on my playing hand. The buzzing is coming from my playing hand
Old 08-18-2014, 01:46 AM   #5
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by msarro
Yup! I was referring to my picking/strumming/playing hand. I'm still getting used to having short nails on my fret hand and long nails on my playing hand. The buzzing is coming from my playing hand
The answer here is, "move your fingers before the string gets there". And again, that takes practice.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
rohash

Quote:

Are you finger picking or using a pick?
rohash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:56 PM   #7
msarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohash
Are you finger picking or using a pick?

I'm using my fingers... clumsily. I'm not used to having nails or playing with nails
Old 08-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #8
kndavid

Quote:
I'm using my fingers... clumsily. I'm not used to having nails or playing with nails

Yeah it's practice as others have said. What worked for me was getting used to finger picking without nails and then using nails. I was playing a very long time and horrid at finger picking until I forced myself to practice using fingers only - then grew my nails out and practiced more. It takes a while. Also you may want to try stretching your playing hand - fingers, wrist, supination, etc to warm things up before practicing. There are plenty of sites that show wrist and finger stretching and exercises and it only takes a few minutes.
kndavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:28 AM   #9
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

slow down when you play till you can go slow enough to lift your plucking fingers a little more so they don't touch the strings. once you can play that way slowly, you can speed up a bit, then when you can play at that speed without hitting the strings you can speed up some more.

if you play that way, it will soon get to be a habit you won't have to think about.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:59 AM   #10
Zcheapeso
Banned

Unfortunately there is not any way around RS Gold this issue; although the ageing can be late it is still unavoidable. This being said you can certainly buy a while for your device, especially if it is a tower structure. If you are an owner of a tower laptop Runescape Gold computer or computer then it is far more economically practical to basically recognize what is reducing your laptop computer or computer and update that element.
Zcheapeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
Classy Lady

Several good answers regarding the buzzing of a vibrating string: practice very slowly to learn the pattern of notes. One measure, build to two measures, etc. I set a timer for one minute to practice a measure or part of measure. Also the fingernails on the right hand may be too long. There are several good articles which address the length of fingernails. "i" is just above the top of the finger; "m" is a little longer; "a" is a bit longer. It is the thumbnail that is the longest. I play Classical Guitar - doing fingernails to the correct length is important preparation to a good practice.

Classy Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: