Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
vaughn.balcita

Takamines w/o cutaways?

It may seem a bit silly, but I kind of always wanted a guitar like a Takamine NP15, Glen Hansard's guitar. He is one of the main reasons I started playing. So I need help with buying Takamine, or any acoustic guitar that kinda has that busking/working class vibe to it. Suggestions?

My budget is $300, but feel free to recommend any acoustic at any price range.

Last edited by vaughn.balcita : 08-23-2014 at 10:30 AM.
vaughn.balcita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn.balcita
....[ ]....My budget is $300, but feel free to recommend any acoustic at any price range.
Oh Junior, that's just asking for trouble.

I'm pretty sure your price range leaves you little choice but to have a "working class guitar" They sell "distressed" electrics, but IMHO, that's about as phony as you can get.

In any case, you're going to have to play the crap out if it, and wait til the case gets banged up a bit, if you want to truly look, "sincere". Add a couple of decades to that, if you want to look, "Willie Nelson sincere".

Arguably, $200.00 gives you a Yamaha FG-700. (working man's starter special). Or $500.00 gives you the Seagull, "Original S-6". Which is a Canadian working man's guitar. The Seagull comes with electronics for about a hundred, (USD) dollars more, but still has no cutaway.

Many guitars in this price range package electronics and cutaway as a single option.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 08-23-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
vaughn.balcita

What I meant by "working class" was that I don't need a fancy looking guitar. No mother of pearl pickguard, no intricately designed fretboard, just the essentials.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
Captaincranky

Quote:
What I meant by "working class" was that I don't need a fancy looking guitar. No mother of pearl pickguard, no intricately designed fretboard, just the essentials.
I know, but you're simply not going to get that for $300. 00 anyway. It makes what you meant sort of a moot point.

If you did want bling at that price point, pretty much the only maker that would supply it, is "Luna". Their reputation is so, so. I wouldn't want to take a chance on one, sight unheard through the mail. But who knows, what would come of a live session with them.

But, there are many players who want that, "I've suffered and that's why I'm playing the blues", aesthetic to come across in their instrument, and a lot of use and time is how they get them that way.

If you see my point:

Last edited by Captaincranky : 08-23-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #5
vaughn.balcita

So what do you suggest?
Old 08-24-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
Captaincranky

Quote:
So what do you suggest?
Dude, I gave you a couple of suggestions, Yamaha FG-700 (only the pure acoustic version comes without a cutaway). the AE version @ $300,00 does have a cutaway. And the Seagull S-6, but that's above your price range. (@$500.00) Well, you did say,"any price".

The newest Epiphone acoustics seem to be well made. You could give the "Hummingbird" or the "Dove" a listen. One is maple, one is mahogany. It would be best to do a side by side on them if possible. Both of those guitars are Gibson inspired, and have a bit of "bling". These are about $300.00 on the nose, your choice of model.

You could also look at a used Epiphone, "Masterbuilt", I'm not sure of the model number, and come close to budget.

If you asked a hundred acoustic players, the Seagull would likely get 95% of the votes.

The acoustic only version goes for $419.95: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...acoustic-guitar

The AE version for $529.95: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...c-guitar/512121 But, it doesn't have a cutaway, which you say is a plus.

They're both above your price, but you did say, "any price". I tried to keep the "any price" somewhat under control.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 08-24-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:48 AM   #7
vaughn.balcita

Okay, thanks.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
tuxs

Well being a Taki fan I also liked Glen Hansards guitar " The Horse" If I knew how to attach the photo I would, but my puter skills are sadly lacking.

And by the way take Cranky advice, Get the Yammie. Cheers
tuxs is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: