Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
Crob95

Takamine or Martin?

I can't decide which of these two guitars to get. The Martin 000x1ae or the takamine gn93ce. They are both the same price. Which one would you get?

Thanks!!!
Crob95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
BaghdadBandit

What we would get is not the question. What do you like in a guitar. Are you going for looks or sound. What sound do you like. Also Check this out it might help with your selection.

Click Here
BaghdadBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
Crob95

Thanks that is interesting, and I'm just going for overall sound quality.
Crob95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

overall sound quality? there's no such thing. this is a personal taste matter - especially since we're talking about laminate back and sides guitars. i'm not a huge fan of the takamine NEX line, but also not a big fan of the martin X series. if it were me, i'd go with an all solid guitar and add electronics later. if i HAD to choose from those two guitars, i'd go with the martin X series, but i'd rather have an all solid recording king hands-down.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
Tony Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
overall sound quality? there's no such thing. this is a personal taste matter - especially since we're talking about laminate back and sides guitars. i'm not a huge fan of the takamine NEX line, but also not a big fan of the martin X series. if it were me, i'd go with an all solid guitar and add electronics later. if i HAD to choose from those two guitars, i'd go with the martin X series, but i'd rather have an all solid recording king hands-down.

Your mention of Recording King reminded me of something that came from a well-resopected luthier/repairer in another forum - UMGF:

One of my hobby horses is resettable necks on acoustics, because I don't like the notion of use once and throw away. I know that a reset might not be cost effective on cheapos, but I like to know I have the option. This is the reason I would never buy a Tak - because I don't know how they do the neck joint and I have heard stories of epoxy being used. However, at least three Asian makers are apparently using resettable dovetail joints - Recording King, Blueridge and Eastman - so I would be happy to buy any of those three. Eastman is getting a big reputation in archtops, don't know about their flattops.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:44 AM   #6
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

eastman's chinese guitars are wonderful! the first one i ever played was priced at $1600, and it sounded like it was twice that much - honestly! it was an AC822, which i guess they discontinued. i've played a bunch of their other models, including GCs, jumbos and more, and most blew me away - not only for the tone, but they look good, too. i particularly like their 0-sized E10P, which has an adi top, wide neck and mahogany back and sides. on the other hand, eastman doesn't actually make their solid top/laminate back and sides guitars, and imo they're just average.

i currently own a blueridge parlor (a BR-341), which has a very nice tone, but i find that blueridge guitars are less consistent in tone - i cherry picked mine over a period of months and several stores. they all sounded good but the one i chose sounds great.

the thing about recording king 000s is that that's the size where recording king shines. IMO they sound better than the blueridge 000s (which don't sound bad at all) and a lot of other brands. and it's hard to beat the price for an all solid guitar

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/...eries--RO10.htm

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/...-000--ROS10.htm

my husband has an ROS-626, and it sounds so sweet!
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: