Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-25-2014, 04:12 AM   #1
bakia

some guitar books

First hi to all since I am new on the forum , glad to be part of the communitiy !

I've been playing acoustic guitar for about 8-10 months now and I got to the idea of maybe buying some books about acoustic, so I was wondering what are the best books around about this ?

Thx
bakia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
alex.aird.9

Hi Bakia,

Speaking from a similar position to you I guess it depends on what you goals are and what level your at now as there are loads of books out there, as I found out when I first started playing.

Personally I struggle to stick at books as I find them too boring so I opted for '1 on 1' lessons but its down to personal preference. I find Chromatics & scales are great for building finger strength and technique, chords are great for some songs, and strumming patterns are great for other sounds, it all depends on what you can do and what you want to achieve

What kind of music do you play / are you into?
alex.aird.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
rohash

I tried a couple books and was getting nowhere. For me the best way to learn has been on-line tutorials. Youtube has a ton of them for free. So much better to have an audio and visual reference. Guitarjamz, justinguitar, TGAfreelessons, guitarmadeez, secretguitarteacher, mahalo.com are all great and there's many more. Everybody learns in different ways and books may work for some and a personal instructor I'm sure would be great, but there is no substitute for plain old practice. My uncle has been playing for 40 years and when I asked his advice, he said to just learn songs and for me that has been the best way to learn and practice. When I first started, I practiced learning chords and doing finger dexterity exercises and I still occasionally do that but once you know all the common chords, just learn songs and you will gradually learn the rest plus it's more fun. The goal is to play songs anyway.
rohash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:40 PM   #4
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

I have a small, decent collection, so I'll just recommend what I have because I have utilized all of them over the years, some moreso during my classical days:

Pierre Bensusan - The Guitar Book
http://www.pierrebensusan.com/store...oduct.asp?ID=34

The Complete Carcassi Method
http://www.amazon.com/Mel-Bay-Prese...i/dp/0871663783

Fernando Sor - Method for Guitar
http://www.amazon.com/Method-Guitar...r/dp/1882612965

Gaspar Sanz - The Complete Works
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Work...l/dp/0825616956

Dionisio Aguado - New Guitar Method
http://www.amazon.com/New-Guitar-Me...n/dp/0906953111

It really depends on what you're going for though.

These aren't really "work your way through" kind of books, although you can certainly do that. I mostly use them as references and as compendiums of awesome exercises and short pieces.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
bakia

Ah I see, thank you everyone for your advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.aird.9
Hi Bakia,

Speaking from a similar position to you I guess it depends on what you goals are and what level your at now as there are loads of books out there, as I found out when I first started playing.

Personally I struggle to stick at books as I find them too boring so I opted for '1 on 1' lessons but its down to personal preference. I find Chromatics & scales are great for building finger strength and technique, chords are great for some songs, and strumming patterns are great for other sounds, it all depends on what you can do and what you want to achieve

What kind of music do you play / are you into?

Well, I guess I like playing things like Clapton, Dire straits but you know nothing specific ( I like all kind of music) I just got to the point where I am not sure what to practice by myself anymore that's why I opened the theard
bakia is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: