Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
Skizz_oV

Does anyone have (or have played) a Taylor Big Baby?

It seems to have a lot of good reviews, so it was something I was trying to check out. However, when I went to my local Guitar Center, it's not something they carry.

It just seems too good to be true for the price though. Has anyone owned or played one?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...acoustic-guitar
Epiphone SG G-400

Line 6 Spyder II
Skizz_oV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

I had one for 20 years, great guitar, just sold it for $300 too, so it was great value! No pick up though
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
chrismendiola

A friend of mine has one and it's his main guitar. It's great for the price, but since you're playing a Custom D Classic (which is my main acoustic), you might find it difficult to adjust, I think it's a 15/16 or 7/8 or something. I know I have that problem. But yeah, at $400, it's a great value, but just because it's a Taylor guitar doesn't mean it's the best that price point has to offer.
chrismendiola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
stepchildusmc

nice guits. for the money, I much prefer the GS mini though. a LOT more clarity with fingerstyle. great bass response. great little strummers. like most smaller guitars, they won't ever get mistaken for one of the big boys but for what they are, they can't be beat. I liked 'em so much I picked up about.....umm... at last count... 5 !
they just sounded so much better thatn the BT or the BBT.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:25 AM   #5
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i also prefer the GS mini. i found the big baby to have a less versatile tone but it's not a bad guitar, sounds pretty good and the price is good. it's also not a small guitar - i wouldn't call it a "little strummer" myself, as it's 15/16ths of a regular dread size, which is still pretty big, and a lot bigger than the baby.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
Skizz_oV

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Chris - I admit I'm not extremely savvy when it comes to acoustic guitars, I just happen to see a low priced Taylor with a lot of really great reviews so it sparked my interest. When I was shopping for my second acoustic, I looked a lot at both Martin's and Taylor's. There was just something about the Martin that I kept going back and playing =P
Epiphone SG G-400

Line 6 Spyder II
Skizz_oV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #7
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skizz_oV
There was just something about the Martin that I kept going back and playing =P
It was most likely the nasty peak in the bass.

Oh, I'm just kidding).
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #8
chrismendiola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skizz_oV
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Chris - I admit I'm not extremely savvy when it comes to acoustic guitars, I just happen to see a low priced Taylor with a lot of really great reviews so it sparked my interest. When I was shopping for my second acoustic, I looked a lot at both Martin's and Taylor's. There was just something about the Martin that I kept going back and playing =P

I get it, we had the same journey, almost. If you were deciding between the two, it was probably because of the difference in size. You were likely more comfortable playing the dreadnought and realised that the size also yielded an advantage in resonance and volume.
chrismendiola is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: