Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
clcoleman15

opinions on solid states?

Now before anyone says something about my other which amp threads. This is not a which amp thread I am just simply wanting the communities opinion on 2 solid states the line 6 spider IV 75 vs the peavey bandit 112. Again this isn't a which amp thread thanks to all the help from my other thread I will be purchasing a Laney so this amp is just cause I'm curious
clcoleman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
lemurflames
Ronnie

There are good solid states and there are bad solid states.
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

^ that.

As with tube amps, some are good and some are bad.

Most solid state guitar amps are bad unfortunately though, and not the spider nor the bandit are stellar.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
clcoleman15

So then what are some of the good solid states
Old 08-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Roc8995

The amps you mentioned are both cheap amps, so that's what a lot of people start on and they work fine for that. I wouldn't call either of them good amps. The spider has more sounds, the bandit has fewer but they tend to be nicer than the spider. Both are ok starter amps, not much beyond that.

Good solid states, depends on what you use it for, but Acoustic, Marshall Mosfet, Peavey Vypyr, Roland JCA, some of the old Peavey Choruses, Polytone, Pritchard, Lab, Tech 21 all have some SS models that are good for one thing or another. It's just that most SS amps tend to be cheap, so they're junk because they're cheaply made, not because they're solid state. Plenty of crap tube amps out there too.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
clcoleman15

I hear a lot of good about Roland. Heard the cube is good is this fact or hearsay
Old 08-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
Roc8995

It's all subjective. It's not a question of fact.

Cube is a fine starter amp in the same vein as the Peavey vypyr or the vox valvetronix. Lots of options, decent sound, good bedroom players.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
clcoleman15

I'm actually impressed I thought the only thing people would be saying is "SS suck get a tube" etc.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
The Judist
The problem is choice

Tube snobs will be tube snobs.
The Bandit is awesome. Sure a a great all tube amp might sound slightly better in isolation, but it's never 4-7 times better like it is in price. Tubes are only a few pence to make and the transformers too, what a rip off tube amps are.
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
The Judist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #10
QOTSA-SFTD

Peavey Bandit in my opinion is a very respectable good amp compared to other SS's, especially the Spyder.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #11
MatrixClaw
UG God

The Ampeg VH-140C, and its variants, are still one of the best amps ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #13
Roc8995

Quote:
Originally Posted by clcoleman15
I'm actually impressed I thought the only thing people would be saying is "SS suck get a tube" etc.

Lots of people are disappointed when the hate and strawmen they invent in their heads aren't nearly as common as they thought. The internet creates these extremist boogeymen for all sorts of topics. It's a product of the way we talk to ourselves on discussion sites.

The good news is, we get threads like this that are pretty reasonable and now we get to talk about amps and maybe some people realize that what they assumed was snobbery was actually just preference.

edit: And then there's Cath
Old 08-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #14
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

OK, I'll actually address the amps in question. I think the Bandit is a pile of shit - but they do make a very solid and reliable backup amp. The sort of thing you leave strapped into the back of the truck for those times when it's better than nothing.
The Spider you throw out of the back of the truck while it's moving down the freeway. The sound it makes as it bounces down the road is as good as it's gonna get.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 08-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #15
paul.housley.7

-I started with an Orange solid state amp that usually sounded bad to me. I thought it sounded bad because I played bad (also true) but I eventually discovered that I'm not alone in thinking that they're bad.
-I got a kustom 16 for 20 bucks and it sounded better than the orange, but not by much.
-i had a vox amplug that only powers headphones, and it can make one sound that's okay i guess, mostly it's just bad.
-i made my own tube amp head from scrap parts. I'm proud of the work that went into it but to be honest it doesn't sound all that good either.
-i stumbled across a very cheap solid state roland micro-cube which i purchased last weekend, and it's the best of the lot so far.

But still - none of those amps compare to the beautiful sounds that came out of the fender deluxe reverb when i tried it. My daughter (4) embarassed me a little bit when she observed that i was 'playing better' when i was playing through that amp.
I also felt that the 5w Randall and the 15w Super Champ X2 were noticably better sounding than any of the solid states that i've tried (including Spyder, Mustang, and Valvetronix).

there may be some better solid state amps out there, but i haven't found one yet, whereas all of the tube amps that i've tried seemed to sound fairly good. I feel that the quality floor of tube amps is probably lower than the ceiling of solid states, but the tube range of quality is generally speaking higher than the range of quality for solid state.
paul.housley.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #16
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judist
Tube snobs will be tube snobs.
The Bandit is awesome. Sure a a great all tube amp might sound slightly better in isolation, but it's never 4-7 times better like it is in price. Tubes are only a few pence to make and the transformers too, what a rip off tube amps are.

Really? Have you ever built a tube amp or are you just talking out of your arse regarding the cost of parts?
I've built many (and several SS ones), and I am here to tell you that you're full of shit.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 08-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #17
Fret Frier

They are good starting amps that get you going, however, a tube amp is much better in the long haul.
Fret Frier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #18
gambit1983

I heard the Roland jazz chorus is supposed to be one of the best if not the best solid state amp both brad Nowell of sublime and wes Borland of limp bizkit used it for their clean sounds. It also takes pedals very well.
gambit1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #19
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit1983
I heard the Roland jazz chorus is supposed to be one of the best if not the best solid state amp both brad Nowell of sublime and wes Borland of limp bizkit used it for their clean sounds. It also takes pedals very well.

they have excellent cleans, they are probably one of the more common clean amps in studio. the FenderTwin is the opposite, equally good just more lush and smooth and warm, unlike the JC which is sterile.

i own neither, but there is a middle ground. Musicman. hybrid. SS preap, tube power amp. Musicman is Leo Fender's company after fender.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #20
paul.housley.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Really? Have you ever built a tube amp or are you just talking out of your arse regarding the cost of parts?
I've built many (and several SS ones), and I am here to tell you that you're full of shit.

Agree, and to add to this:

http://www.runoffgroove.com/littlegem.html

Here is an example of a solid state amp that is about as simple as a solid state amp can get, and there's no transformer required anywhere. No output transformer because the 386 can drive a speaker directly. No power transformer because it is designed to run at 9v. Just use a 9 volt battery or repurpose a 9 volt power supply from some other device.
You can hear some sound clips if you'd like, (on the same website) and it sounds surprisingly good. I haven't priced it out but I think that the pcb might be the most expensive part and I'm thinking maybe 20 bucks in total for all the parts?

Now here is a very simple tube amp:

http://www.davidsonamp.com/sf/images/champ5c1.gif

It's a Fender Champ 5c1 and they don't get much simpler than this. 1 preamp tube, 1 power tube, 1 output transformer (necessary when using vacuum tubes) and 1 power transformer (also necessary) This amp costs a hell of a lot more than 20 dollars to build. In fact - the output transformer alone costs more than 20 dollars, and that's only if you source it from one of the cheaper vendors. The tubes cost 10-20 bucks apiece for the cheapest available, and all of the individual components cost more than the same part on a solid state amp because they all need to be rated for high voltage. A resistor that costs 9 cents on the solid state amp might cost 2$ on the tube amp, and the same mark-up can be (and often is) necessary on just about every part due to the higher voltage requirements.

Last edited by paul.housley.7 : 08-28-2014 at 10:55 PM.
paul.housley.7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: