Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #41
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Come on now, if you say that's not close enough for recording, you're just lying to yourself.
I tried one myself.
I tried one along with a 5150 III in the same room and with the same cab.

You may not but I could tell the difference.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #42
danielburgos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
I only have large ones. One is a 1971 Carvin with 275W. The cabinet that went with this thing is huge, a 4' tall x 30" wide closed back ported monster with a pair of 15" Altec Lansing 418-8A speakers and a mids/high horn.

My bass amp is a 1500W (solid state, natch) buttkicker.
I play guitar through a modeler and the keys and modeler go into a mixer and into a 1500W power amp and from there into a pair of 900W full range speaker cabs. Honestly, solid state works very well in large doses, too.

Bro, i don't have nothing against solid states amps, i like the sound of the small ones that I have... Especially to use at home...

But for me nothing beats the sound of my Marshall JVM 410 and my Mark IV Mesa Boogie... They are the best...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...id=112962&stc=1

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...id=112963&stc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (34.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by danielburgos : 08-30-2014 at 04:24 PM.
danielburgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #43
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay-man
The Bandit was a pretty fun amp when I used it. The voicings on it let you cover all ground of any type of music you want to play.
There's a knob on there which allows you to change the dynamics of the amplifier to emulate the response of a tube amp. It's interesting.

It's not the best but it's not bad.

yeah i was kind of annoyed. firstly because i might well have bought it instead of the marshall (and it'd have saved me some money) and secondly because I never really came across one since

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #44
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Here's what I found with the Bandit (a guy in a band I was in had one). On first hearing, it sounded pretty good. After a couple of months I wanted to throw the muddy pile of crap from a moving truck.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #45
TheLiberation

If the Bandit sounds muddy, you're setting it wrong. End of story.
TheLiberation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:15 PM   #46
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Here's what I found with the Bandit (a guy in a band I was in had one). On first hearing, it sounded pretty good. After a couple of months I wanted to throw the muddy pile of crap from a moving truck.

yeah that's why i'm always wary about solid states (and even hybrids). what sounds pretty good at the start often grates down the line when you've listened to it for longer. To me it's a risk that's not worth taking- i can spend a lot of money on something which might sound as good as a tube amp... or i can just buy a tube amp.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:42 PM   #47
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLiberation
If the Bandit sounds muddy, you're setting it wrong. End of story.

Yeah, because I don't know how to EQ an amp.

Once he turned it up enough to get over our maniac drummer it turned to shit. My SS Yamaha amp cut through it like a hot knife through butter. So it wasn't that it was SS because my SS amp ate it for breakfast.
They're a reliable amp and pretty loud, I'd have one for emergencies (well no actually - my backups are a JCM900 and a GT-100 but I'm sure you get my meaning. )
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 09-01-2014, 03:53 AM   #48
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judist
Tube snobs will be tube snobs.
The Bandit is awesome. Sure a a great all tube amp might sound slightly better in isolation, but it's never 4-7 times better like it is in price. Tubes are only a few pence to make and the transformers too, what a rip off tube amps are.

I hate it when people justify bad sound with low price. You have to pay for good sound of course. I wouldn't settle for a bad amp just because it's cheap. If I'm not satisfied with the tone, it doesn't matter how cheap the amp is. I just don't like its tone and that's it. Yes, a HRD is not "4 times better" than a Bandit (What does that even mean? How can you measure that?) but I watched the video and I just preferred the Fender tone. I would rather buy the Fender amp than the Bandit, simply because I prefer its tone.

It's the same as saying there's no point in buying a $1000 guitar because it's not "10 times better" than a crappy starter pack guitar. But I would rather spend $1000 on a guitar that I like than $100 on a guitar I don't like. If $1000 is the price I have to pay for my dream guitar, I will pay $1000. And $1000 isn't even that much if you compare it to how much other instruments cost.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #49
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah i totally could tell the bandit there.

now, cynics might say you could see the cable being plugged in, but i'm an idiot and didn't notice that until he went and switched them.

also, as i said earlier (or maybe in another thread) you can get a jet city for less than a bandit in europe.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #50
TheLiberation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Yeah, because I don't know how to EQ an amp.

Once he turned it up enough to get over our maniac drummer it turned to shit. My SS Yamaha amp cut through it like a hot knife through butter. So it wasn't that it was SS because my SS amp ate it for breakfast.
They're a reliable amp and pretty loud, I'd have one for emergencies (well no actually - my backups are a JCM900 and a GT-100 but I'm sure you get my meaning. )

Well, since all you ever seem to do in such threads is repeat over and over and over how horrible it is together with everything that's not tube, I don't see any reason to think you do know how. Especially if you base it on you seeing someone else set it up.
TheLiberation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #51
evmac
Baroness Lover

Cath has plenty of demos and videos where he's playing and getting great tones.

I learned to play guitar on a Marshall VS100. It served it's purpose and I have sentimental value for it, it just doesn't compete with my tube amps. The same goes with the Bandit. I gigged with it once and practiced with one for a while but I just wasn't that good. Muddy as shit at band volumes. If they were comparable I would only use those SS amps because I'm a cheap mother****er but unfortunately most of the SS amps I've tried aren't that good (well for what I play).
evmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #52
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
The variants were made a bit on the cheap-er, though I agree on the VH-140C.
Ammmaazing amp.

Eh, VH-140C, SS-150 and the Crate GX-130C are all bitchin amps. It seems that people have finally found out about all of the different ones, though... The Crates seem to be going for far more than they were several years ago, which is saddening. I always wanted to pick up one of the heads, because the VH-140C was getting far too expensive, but now the Crates are up there, too

That being said, I found my VH-140C to sound A LOT like my Splawn Nitro on many settings. Great amps!

Randall has also made several great solid state amps over the years, and the Roland Jazz Chorus is, of course, a staple for clean amps. If we're lumping digital (modeling) amps into this equation, there's tons of those that are great - several made by Line 6, and others that rival high end tube amps in price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:43 PM   #53
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLiberation
Well, since all you ever seem to do in such threads is repeat over and over and over how horrible it is together with everything that's not tube, I don't see any reason to think you do know how. Especially if you base it on you seeing someone else set it up.
I was in a band with him, you don't think I ever tried to EQ it myself, his amp was never there when he wasn't? What sort of douches do you play with, man?

I recommended a Randall RG to somebody just yesterday. I recommend VH140C's to people all the time. Seriously, **** off, just **** off.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 09-02-2014, 02:47 AM   #54
Blompcube
Registered User Error

My thoughts on solid states are, for certain tones, as long as they have enough power for the situation (preferably more than enough power, just to be safe!) they are great. The idea that they can't sound decent in a live situation is completely false, although lots of cheap ones including 100+ watt models do struggle - but most of those are crap at lower volumes anyway

I used to gig with a HH VS musician solid state amp, when the only tube amp I had was a jangly sounding 1x12 open back combo that didn't really sound 'fat' enough for what I was playing - The HH sounded a bit lackluster on its own but it was easy to dial it in to sit right where I needed it in the mix, and that's what made it work. No complaints there. I still bring it along as a backup.
Musicman HD75 + 115RH-65
MicroKorg XL+
Blompcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:08 AM   #55
kurtebirdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Kemper can fool anyone listening with their eyes closed, easily. I mean considering what year we're in, that's pretty damn impressive. Does it sound exactly the same? Maybe not exactly the same. But kurtebirdi is full of shit regardless.

Jury's still out on the feel though.

you're not going to convince anyone that at a given price point the computer doesn't sacrifice sound quality for versatility.

sure kemper gets very close, but that comes with a significant cost.
kurtebirdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:57 AM   #56
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about using a Kemper or any other digital modeling in a live setting. You get that, right?

In a studio setting, for recording, the Kemper gets way closer than it even needs to to pass. The tube feel really isn't relevant in a recorded/mixed setting, after all has been said and done.

One of the most important things that recording has taught me is that you can get away with using almost *anything* in the studio, and make it sound fantastic at the end of the day.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #57
The Judist
The problem is choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
I hate it when people justify bad sound with low price.
The Bandit doesn't sound bad though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
also, as i said earlier (or maybe in another thread) you can get a jet city for less than a bandit in europe.
Um, where?
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
The Judist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #58
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

^ thomann.de

Which also is that wonderful place (figuratively - it's a website and it doesn't have an actual store, just a big ass warehouse) where they sell harley benton branded stuff.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #59
The Judist
The problem is choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
^ thomann.de

Which also is that wonderful place (figuratively - it's a website and it doesn't have an actual store, just a big ass warehouse) where they sell harley benton branded stuff.

All I could see were heads, no combos. Not exactly like for like.
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
The Judist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #60
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

They used to have the combos too and these days they're lacking a lot of stuff they used to have, so I guess they'll be re-stocking soon.

Rate This Thread: