Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
ikey_

NAD - Carvin V3m

finally i got the amp ive been thinking of for 3 years and put my mind to rest. i really wanted something that can so everything from clean to metal under 1000 and this may be the only amp does it reasonably well.

first off. red backlights looked the best with the gold and my cab.

the tonal variation of the amp is impressive. it can do a solid clean only, pushed tube breakup, hard rock, and metal tones with relative ease. the mini switches basically add in varying amounts of brightness and bite or deepness. ass you can imagine how most amps do vintage, thick or intense its pretty self explanitory. reverb is good for onboard reverb. boost is pretty much a clean boost. even on the high gain, its still a clean boost. guess its a gain boost on the power section because it really doesnt push the pre-amp.

i will comment that at bedroom levels, each channel doesnt seem to be DRASTICALLY different even with opposite switches. after all, it even says channel 1/2 are the same. the key is way different gain structures. that is done in spades. i can see the fizz people mention but its not that bad. a tube swap and this thing is golden.

build quality is average. nothing spectacular but its very gigable. to keep it small, simple and light, you basically have a steel cage / box. not exactly fancy. but sturdy.

is it worth about 670 with the footswitch shipped? yeah. cause i really cant find anything on the market that can touch it for under about 1000. im confident to say if i need more amp than this, i get into the 4 digit price tags
______

EDIT - after the events below, carvin shipped me a new one for free. most painless transaction ever. amazing support. amazing.

take 2 with the new replacement amp

(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)

Last edited by ikey_ : 09-11-2014 at 07:18 PM.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Old 08-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
Ippon
Amped

Sweet!

Also, dpellman will be pleased.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #4
Fumble fingers

I been waiting for your NAD to get posted !! ..... sounds like your initial impression is good , they do seem like a lot of amp for the price , glad to hear all's good so far ..... I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger

how does it sound in 25 and 7 watt mode ??

Last edited by Fumble fingers : 08-29-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Fumble fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:25 AM   #5
MatrixClaw
UG God

These always look so cool to me. Maybe someday I'll pick one up, but the Legacy I had kind of turned me off of their amps for a while
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
ikey_

so i have yet to noodle in 50 watt mode. thankfully, the 7 watt mode sounds very much similar to the 22 watt mode. there may be a very very slight decrease in volume but its there. so really the sound quality does not decrease.

i want to noodle on 50 watts and also test out master / channel volumes to see any effect on sound quality. i am also trying to experiment with the settings. as i stated, it really doesnt seem to me that the amp is DRASTICALLY different per channel, ie - 2 is 80 hair metal and 1 is death metal. not really. the voicing is the same. its just more gain or less gain, or some EQ changes. but it sounds like the same amp.

my goal is to tweak and get 2-3 entirely different sounds all of which would hopefully be good.

it really is a great value like all carvins. its amazing what they can do for the price. i can see what everyone says " it doesnt do anything great" or why people sell it for higher end amps. of course a 600 dollar 3 channel amp isnt going to be a 5153 or a deizel. but for 600 bucks, i cant think of very msny amps that come close.

i thought i had run the gambit on the sub 50 lunch box amps and really this one takes the cake.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)

Last edited by ikey_ : 08-31-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
MatejSJ
ShredMeister

Nice, HNAD
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
MatejSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
Fumble fingers

I'm curious to see how you like it once you get it all figured out ..... I understand its hard to do all things great when you have three different amps in one small package .... but the prices are killer , heck the V3 with 100/50/25 watt is only 850.00 , I would probably get the V3m with 2x12 slant top new and send it back if I don't like it with Carvin's 10 day return policy , the "fizz" some talk about concerns me , there are some deals on ebay but your stuck with it if you don't like it ..... I know one thing , I'm done with combo's at 53 years old my back isn't liking it any more , the V3m is only 19 lbs and the 2x12 cab is only 45 lbs , that's way lighter than anything I gig with now
Old 08-31-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
RJH11
Tone chaser

Hnad
Pedals
RJH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:19 AM   #11
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy

HNAD!

Almost bought one of them a while back. Still wouldnt mind one though.
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
TU2=>MXR SUPER COMP=>WHAMMY IV=>TIMMY=>MXR 10 BAND=>NS2=>FX LOOP=>PH3=>DD20
loki_lulamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:58 AM   #12
RJH11
Tone chaser

I have a chance to grab one of these for 300 USD due
to a channel switching issue. Jumps from high gain to
clean back to high gain. Won't stay put on clean channel.
Did you come across anything in your research of this amp
that had anything like this?
Pedals
RJH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #13
kennym9898

Glad to hear you like the V3M, I have the V3MC combo. It's a very versatile amp, I had ordered it with the Vintage 30 speaker but that was too much on the bright side for my tastes. It can sound fizzy, the GT12 isn't quite as bad. I was messing around with it and hooked it up to a Celestion Seventy/80 of all things and got some really good tones out of it.
kennym9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #14
ikey_

nope never heard that b4. the 4 button switch is foreign to me with the possible sequences and possibilities. its like, its always on high gain, unless you change it up clean or crunch (channel 2). but because there are buttons for both clean and crunch, clean seems to take priority, so that if you depress both, it will still be clean (but both lights are on). so then, it appears like you have both on at the same time. very weird to me. its hard to type out. not bad, but just something you have to learn about using the amp.

it can be bright or dark which is great. its a quality amp with a range of tones. a huge gripe i had with the tweaker is that the gain tones seemeds to be very dark at low volumes. it sounded like i was playing the neck pup all the time.

the carvin, even at low volumes, is capable of nice bright crunch too. awesome.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #15
lemurflames
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH11
I have a chance to grab one of these for 300 USD due
to a channel switching issue. Jumps from high gain to
clean back to high gain. Won't stay put on clean channel.
Did you come across anything in your research of this amp
that had anything like this?

Sounds like way too much for something broken.
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #16
ikey_

so update:

i had a chance to tweak my channels. if you guys read up on the settings, i am running my clean channel on pushed mode with a slight scooped tone that gives a nice jazzy setting clean and a good crunch when driven with humbuckers or a OD pedal. for extra clean, i put on my compressor and flip to split / single coils for a nice snappy funk clean. i like for now. EQX off (seems darker)

for channel 2 i have a more middy crunch tone which can go from a borderline 80s rock tone on teh bridge and a boost OD, to a slight, john cougar mellancamp hurts so good rhythm tone with the volume rolled back, or perhaps with split coils. EQX ON. seems to add brightness and clarity, and then THICK on for a good DRIVE.

for channel one, i have the gain on about 8, with a scooped tone again. EQX on, intense on. prescene up. this is METAL territory. man, i dropped to drop D and clicked on the boost and played WAKE UP by RATM, oh man. im in heaven. i dont think any amp under 1000 can pull this off. it really is great.

_________

findings:

the reverb sucks over 4. thats cool, 3-4 is tasteful and i have my trinity verb.

this thing is very mid heavy. must be the JJs and the EL84s. even with scooped mids, its still MID sorta mid heavy. with the wrong settings your on the verge of turning to mud if you dont get careful. im a heavy MID guy, but i found my tones by turning back the mids more than i normally do. plus the amp is bright. even carvin says the range of EQ is great, so use your ears. that is definitely the case.

the boost works great as a clean boost. not to drive your channels. just like most clean boosts in the loop, it is a boost circuit in the power section. so it OPENS UP the amp a bit. i use this both for solo boosts but also to roll back my volume, boost it back to unity gain and what i have is a different sounding crunch with my clarity a airyness, less compressed. so basically i have between my OD channel and the boost switch the possibilities are nearly endless.

the WATTS switch does probably drop the volume perhaps 1 DB per notch. so its a small amount but yes 7 watts is slightly quieter than the 50 watts. the higher the wattage the more intense the tone and the more bass. its also a bit more open to be expected. However the tone is relatively the same.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #17
black_box

I saw you had tried the Tubemeister, how does the v3m compare to that at low volumes? I didn't mess with the tubemeister too long, but had trouble getting a warm sounding overdrive from it (this was through a mesa 1x12 underneath a rectoverb head).
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #18
ikey_

no. this thing kills a tubemeister. there is no comparison even at low volumes.

UPDATE:

oh no. FML. it has died. recieved amp august 29th. Sept. 4th, crapped the bed.

a seriously low humming noise and some popping started coming from the amp. all the sudden it sounded like a machine gun of "bum bum bum bum bum bum bum" continuously very loudly. something has gone terribly wrong. it is linked to the reverb because it gets WAY worse when tweaking that knob.

I had the carvin guy in the phone live and held my phone to the amp. "yeah ugh...thats not good. lets get that amp replaced."

Carvin has a 10 day no questions asked policy. i have a fedex man dispatch to pick it up with a new amp on the way. To be continued......

Last edited by ikey_ : 09-04-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #19
Fumble fingers

thanks for the up date ....... do these amps have any kind of warranty from the factory besides the 10 day return policy ??
Old 09-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #20
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

wow dude

sorry to hear that

so it is not 'motor-boating'?

cool that they are there to support you live.

also probably good that it happened now and not later.

good luck mang - mojo sent!

Rate This Thread: