Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Fryderyczek
Banned
 
Fryderyczek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Please tell me what to get!

I have three options:
1.Buy a 100watt head and a 140 watt 2x12 cab for 520 USD
2.Buy a 150watt head and a 160 watt 2x12 cab for 576 USD(this cab has better speakers than cab nr.1)
3.Buy that 150watt head from nr.2 and a 4x12 200 watt cab for 567 USD

What is the best option, I don't think I'll need a 4x12, but apparently they sound the best. The heads are the same brand and the same series and both are Solid state.
I won't post the name of the brands to avoid all sorts of arguments, I need a straight response(You might not have understood that last part, sorry, I'm not a English).
Fryderyczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
Jet City
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
Fryderyczek
Banned
 
Fryderyczek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Jet City

No, they're not available here, and I won't buy through thomann.
Fryderyczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
AtaBorMan
UG's reclusive wanker
 
AtaBorMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: A bookshop just off Russel Square
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryderyczek
No, they're not available here, and I won't buy through thomann.


May I ask, why not? They do ship to Poland for a reasonable price, and I've yet to have any trouble with them.
__________________
Call me Max.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
AtaBorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
Fryderyczek
Banned
 
Fryderyczek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtaBorMan
May I ask, why not? They do ship to Poland for a reasonable price, and I've yet to have any trouble with them.

I haven't played it. I was in a shop today in Wrocław and I managed to play a bunch of amps,but I haven't seen a JC.

EDIT: The guitar shop dude said a lot of shops stop selling them, including his because they have reliability issues and they get brought back each time.

Last edited by Fryderyczek : 08-30-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Fryderyczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
Spambot_2
UG's redhead
 
Spambot_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryderyczek
I won't post the name of the brands to avoid all sorts of arguments
Do you want to get what sounds best?
Then you gotta give us names.

I'mma go and guess the brand might be randall.
How far am I from it?

With that info we cannot even tell you what will be louder, for that we would have to know the different speakers' sensitivity ratings.

So, with that in mind, what in the world do you wanna achieve and why can't you with what you have now?
__________________
Name's Luca.
worthwhile quotes, because quote boxes occupy too much space

Last edited by Spambot_2 : 08-30-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Spambot_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
Fryderyczek
Banned
 
Fryderyczek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Do you want to get what sounds best?
Then you gotta give us names.

I'mma go and guess the brand might be randall.
How far am I from it?

With that info we cannot even tell you what will be louder, for that we would have to know the different speakers' sensitivity ratings.

So, with that in mind, what in the world do you wanna achieve and why can't you with what you have now?

OK, fine Randall RG1003H and RG1503H. The cabs are a Bugera 212V-BK, Bugera 212TS and a Bugera 412F-BK. I didn't want to post the names because people will go crazy when they hear the word Bugera.

EDIT: The first cab is 140 watts with Bugera vintage speakers, the second is 160 watts with Turbosound speakers(this one's the most expensive) and the 4x12 has original heavy duty Bugera speakers.

Last edited by Fryderyczek : 08-30-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Fryderyczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
danielburgos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryderyczek
I have three options:
1.Buy a 100watt head and a 140 watt 2x12 cab for 520 USD
2.Buy a 150watt head and a 160 watt 2x12 cab for 576 USD(this cab has better speakers than cab nr.1)
3.Buy that 150watt head from nr.2 and a 4x12 200 watt cab for 567 USD

What is the best option, I don't think I'll need a 4x12, but apparently they sound the best. The heads are the same brand and the same series and both are Solid state.
I won't post the name of the brands to avoid all sorts of arguments, I need a straight response(You might not have understood that last part, sorry, I'm not a English).


If I had to choose I would buy a 150watt head and a good 4x12 cab.

A good cabinet combines with all head amps, and if you decide to change your head amp in the future you'll won't need to buy an other cab... Try Marshall or orange... They're great!!!
danielburgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #9
Fryderyczek
Banned
 
Fryderyczek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielburgos
If I had to choose I would buy a 150watt head and a good 4x12 cab.

A good cabinet combines with all head amps, and if you decide to change your head amp in the future you'll won't need to buy an other cab... Try Marshall or orange... They're great!!!

You see that's the problem, I can't get anything else.
Fryderyczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
Spambot_2
UG's redhead
 
Spambot_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
^ why is that?

Wait, allow me to make me an educated guess, you're relatively short on money and you need something powerful enough for you to gig in a relatively big place.
I got the first one, how close am I now?

Also where do you live?

Among them options you listed anyway, I'd choose the 150w head + the 2x12 cab with turbosound speakers, though that'll still be a jump in the dark.
__________________
Name's Luca.
worthwhile quotes, because quote boxes occupy too much space
Spambot_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #11
Fryderyczek
Banned
 
Fryderyczek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
^ why is that?

Wait, allow me to make me an educated guess, you're relatively short on money and you need something powerful enough for you to gig in a relatively big place.
I got the first one, how close am I now?

Also where do you live?

Among them options you listed anyway, I'd choose the 150w head + the 2x12 cab with turbosound speakers, though that'll still be a jump in the dark.

You said where I live in your previous post. I found a HB cab with them V30(found that a while ago, but only reminded myself of them a couple of minutes ago) and a used RH100 G2, is it worth it?

Also, I want 4x12 because If I get a 120watt 2x12 I'll only be limited to only a handfull of amps, but let's say I buy a 240 watt cab, I can later get almost every head ever made, does that make sense?
Fryderyczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #12
Spambot_2
UG's redhead
 
Spambot_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryderyczek
You said where I live in your previous post.
You mean "in the world"?
'cause mine was a serious question.

If we know where you live we can give you proper advice about used prices, what stuff is more common and what isn't a good idea suggesting.

I respect you if you don't wanna say that, though that might help us helping you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryderyczek
I found a HB cab with them V30(found that a while ago, but only reminded myself of them a couple of minutes ago) and a used RH100 G2, is it worth it?
Yes, though if the cab's a 1x12" you'll either need a new cab or a new speaker, whatever you prefer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryderyczek
Also, I want 4x12 because If I get a 120watt 2x12 I'll only be limited to only a handfull of amps, but let's say I buy a 240 watt cab, I can later get almost every head ever made, does that make sense?
The idea makes sense, but it really doesn't translate to reality - the vast majority of guitar amps aren't more powerful than 100w, some get to 120w, and a handful get to 150w, but most of them have less powerful versions.

a 120w cab will be just fine.
__________________
Name's Luca.
worthwhile quotes, because quote boxes occupy too much space
Spambot_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
Fryderyczek
Banned
 
Fryderyczek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
You mean "in the world"?
'cause mine was a serious question.

If we know where you live we can give you proper advice about used prices, what stuff is more common and what isn't a good idea suggesting.

I respect you if you don't wanna say that, though that might help us helping you.
Yes, though if the cab's a 1x12" you'll either need a new cab or a new speaker, whatever you prefer.
The idea makes sense, but it really doesn't translate to reality - the vast majority of guitar amps aren't more powerful than 100w, some get to 120w, and a handful get to 150w, but most of them have less powerful versions.

a 120w cab will be just fine.

Shit!, sorry about that location thing, it's 2 at night in about 5 minutes. I live in Poland.
I was talking about that 2x12 HB cab, I can get that, but then I wouldn't be able to get a Randall head that I so very much want. That's the biggest problem for me. I found an RG 100 watt, and a 150watt. At first I wanted the 150, but if I get the HB vintage, the speakers might blow, right? People on here told me the more head room an ss amp has, the better it sounds.
Fryderyczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #14
Spambot_2
UG's redhead
 
Spambot_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryderyczek
Shit!, sorry about that location thing, it's 2 at night in about 5 minutes. I live in Poland.
Poland is in the EU, so why wouldn't you buy stuff from thomann?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryderyczek
I was talking about that 2x12 HB cab, I can get that, but then I wouldn't be able to get a Randall head that I so very much want.
Any particular reason why you want it apart from the fact that it's big and relatively cheap?
Have you heard much other amps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryderyczek
That's the biggest problem for me. I found an RG 100 watt, and a 150watt. At first I wanted the 150, but if I get the HB vintage, the speakers might blow, right?
Again, the idea is correct but it doesn't translate to reality.
That cab can either handle 120w @ 8ohm over one channel, or 120w @ 16ohm over two channels, and the RG1503H either output 150w @ 4ohm or 100w @ 8ohm, both over one channel.

Amps with tube power sections have output transformers designed in a way that you can choose the output impedance, usually between 4, 8 and 16ohm.

Amps with solid state power sections don't need output transformers, and that's a good thing 'cause you have a potentially low quality component less in there, though you can't choose the output impedance, and impedance (with currents this high) works in a way that you have to connect an Xohm output to a Yohm output, with Y being the same value as X or higher, else you'll fry stuff.

Then, if X = Y you get all of your amp's output power, and for every doubling of Y in relation to X you loose half of the output power.

This is though the theoretical part.
In reality, with stereo amps you can have all sorts of funny and unpredictable combinations of output powers at different impedances, but it's not anything you need to worry about.
With mono amps, if you don't get half of the power at the doubling of the load impedance (in this case that's Y) that either means the ratings are made up (they often are with guitar amps) or you have a power supply that's not up to the task.

Anyway, to summarize, you can safely connect a randall RG1503H to a harley benton G212V.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryderyczek
People on here told me the more head room an ss amp has, the better it sounds.
People here have been a bit inaccurate.

If you have a more powerful amp you can turn the volume higher without incurring in power amp distortion.
With tube amps that may be negligible or even desirable, because tube distortion is often found more mellow and more worm and more analog and so on.
With transistor amps, that is most of the times if not everytime, undesirable, so the point in getting a bigger amp would be being able to turn the volume up more without incurring in power amp distortion, that would in this case result in a pretty fizzy sound.

You'll anyway hardly turn such an amp high enough, though if you think you will need to turn it up and make a looooooooooot of noise, then you may wanna go for the bigger amp.
Or a bigger cab and the 300w version, but that seems kinda exaggerated to me.
__________________
Name's Luca.
worthwhile quotes, because quote boxes occupy too much space
Spambot_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
Fryderyczek
Banned
 
Fryderyczek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Poland is in the EU, so why wouldn't you buy stuff from thomann?
Any particular reason why you want it apart from the fact that it's big and relatively cheap?
Have you heard much other amps?
Again, the idea is correct but it doesn't translate to reality.
That cab can either handle 120w @ 8ohm over one channel, or 120w @ 16ohm over two channels, and the RG1503H either output 150w @ 4ohm or 100w @ 8ohm, both over one channel.

Amps with tube power sections have output transformers designed in a way that you can choose the output impedance, usually between 4, 8 and 16ohm.

Amps with solid state power sections don't need output transformers, and that's a good thing 'cause you have a potentially low quality component less in there, though you can't choose the output impedance, and impedance (with currents this high) works in a way that you have to connect an Xohm output to a Yohm output, with Y being the same value as X or higher, else you'll fry stuff.

Then, if X = Y you get all of your amp's output power, and for every doubling of Y in relation to X you loose half of the output power.

This is though the theoretical part.
In reality, with stereo amps you can have all sorts of funny and unpredictable combinations of output powers at different impedances, but it's not anything you need to worry about.
With mono amps, if you don't get half of the power at the doubling of the load impedance (in this case that's Y) that either means the ratings are made up (they often are with guitar amps) or you have a power supply that's not up to the task.

Anyway, to summarize, you can safely connect a randall RG1503H to a harley benton G212V.
People here have been a bit inaccurate.

If you have a more powerful amp you can turn the volume higher without incurring in power amp distortion.
With tube amps that may be negligible or even desirable, because tube distortion is often found more mellow and more worm and more analog and so on.
With transistor amps, that is most of the times if not everytime, undesirable, so the point in getting a bigger amp would be being able to turn the volume up more without incurring in power amp distortion, that would in this case result in a pretty fizzy sound.

You'll anyway hardly turn such an amp high enough, though if you think you will need to turn it up and make a looooooooooot of noise, then you may wanna go for the bigger amp.
Or a bigger cab and the 300w version, but that seems kinda exaggerated to me.


I'm going to tell you a bit of a storyhere:
My dad is buying the amp and I'm(I'm 15, by the way) paying whatever more we had to spend over dad's budget. His budget is 1500, mine is 500(zł, not USD). I think I'm onna get a HB vintage 4x12 and some Randall RH I guess and slowly pay him the money back that he will spend(I don't have more than 500zł) through chores, or just earning money at my grandma's house next holidays. But how should I convince him? He thinks I don'tneed such fancy stuff like a 4x12 and stuff like that, but if I get something good in the first place, then I won't need to get something better later and spend more money, right?
Fryderyczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #16
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Tell him that the Jet City is 100x the amp but to get one you have to go through Thomann who are a well established and reliable vendor.
And you don't need a 4x12. A 2x12 with good speakers will beat a 4x12 with cheap speakers every time. There are Harley Benton 2x12's on Thomann with V30's in them. That's what you want.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:07 AM   #17
Spambot_2
UG's redhead
 
Spambot_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
^ I second that.

A 4x12" isn't inherently better than a 2x12", and a 4x12" is gonna be a pain in the ass to carry around.

Also the HB G212V is good indeed for the money.

And a Jet City will be better than a randall RG for most stuff if you ask me.
Or the majority of the people here.
__________________
Name's Luca.
worthwhile quotes, because quote boxes occupy too much space
Spambot_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:55 AM   #18
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.
 
GaryBillington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Trow Vegas
Definitely another +1 for the Jet City from me.

And something I'm confused about: You say you won't buy from Thomann, but you're considering a Harley Benton cab. AFAIK Harley Benton is Thomann's house brand, so you're going to be buying their product anyway.

Thomann are arguably the best place to buy from in Europe, I don't get why you have reservations about buying your amp from there.
__________________
.
Gibson LP Studio x2, SG Special Plus, Midtown Custom
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:32 AM   #19
Fryderyczek
Banned
 
Fryderyczek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
Definitely another +1 for the Jet City from me.

And something I'm confused about: You say you won't buy from Thomann, but you're considering a Harley Benton cab. AFAIK Harley Benton is Thomann's house brand, so you're going to be buying their product anyway.

Thomann are arguably the best place to buy from in Europe, I don't get why you have reservations about buying your amp from there.

TBH, I guews we'll just call thomann, dad is fluent in German so he can do the talking.

To the people who say JC, I don't want that because I haven't tried it, the only shop who has one is 800km away.

The dude in the shop yesterday said they have reliability issues and I trust him.
Fryderyczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:48 AM   #20
Fryderyczek
Banned
 
Fryderyczek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Tell him that the Jet City is 100x the amp but to get one you have to go through Thomann who are a well established and reliable vendor.
And you don't need a 4x12. A 2x12 with good speakers will beat a 4x12 with cheap speakers every time. There are Harley Benton 2x12's on Thomann with V30's in them. That's what you want.

I was talking about the HB vintage 4x12 cab.
Fryderyczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.