Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-31-2014, 02:30 AM   #1
Scibsmetalrock

New Amp, Decisions decisions decisions, input needed!

Hey guys! Some of you might seen my passed thread but I want to redo it and give you guys some more information and have a better format. So Ive recently picked up an ESP LTD 100qm Guitar with custom Duncans installed for the PUPs. I currently own a Fender Delux 900, and a Vypyr VIP 3 100 watt modeling amp. Needless to say niether of these junk amps are getting it done. I was wow'd by the effects in the VIP 3 and didnt realize the tone I was getting sounds so digital its almost unbearable. Im looking for a used amp in the $300 range, up to $400 if its a steal. I live in the Niagara Falls/Rochester area for those of you that wanted to look on my local craigslist and give me some feedback or advice on what I should offer on. Anyways, Ive been starting to play a lot of classic rock, along the lines of Slash and Joe Perry style riffs, with some Metallica and Offspring in the mix, just to name a few styles. I dont plan on "gigging" anytime soon, but there may be a chance in the future I may mess around with a drummer. But for the most part I am just doing this as a side hobby, because I enjoy playing music from songs that I like. A tube amp would be ideal, but Ive looked at a 35 watt Orange amp, and a Crate flexwave 1x12 65 watt amp. Any suggestions much appreciated!
Scibsmetalrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:47 AM   #2
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-Cit...640-i3376329.gc

But this would be my choice. Awesome amp. It's not the SLO one, it's the Lucky 13 one. I think it would suit you really well. You may want to add a nice overdrive to it for some stuff but for you, I think this would suit most.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-Cit...343-i3846956.gc
It's a lot of amp, but if you intend to be playing with a drummer at times, this is your boy right here.

And btw. The preamp of your Vyper is analog. All the amp modeling stuff - analog. The effects are digital but if you don't use them, it's a solid state analog.
The Vyper tubes are good. Vyper preamp, 6505 power amp. The Vyper Tube 60 would do what you want. It's an option you should consider. Go try one, very different sounding to the SS ones like yours. Don't dismiss it out of hand.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:52 AM   #3
Scibsmetalrock

Ive actually never really looked into overdrives, Im going to see if one of my local guitar shops has either one of the JC amps, and test them out. What Overdrive pedal would you suggest to get that GNR Slash style sound? Also, not required but if the amp had a headphone jack that would be pretty helpful.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:57 AM   #4
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Would depend on which one you got. If you get one of the SLO based Jet Cities then something fairly transparent like a Timmy, maybe a Soul Food. If it's a Lucky 13 based one, then some sort of Tubescreamer; Bad Monkey, Green Rhino, etc.
Go try some out. If you are leaning more towards the GnR type of thing then the lower gain ones (ie Lucky 13 ones) would be more useable. If Metallica and Offspring mattered more then high gain SLO one all the way. They didn't use SLO's, but they should have.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 08-31-2014, 03:10 AM   #5
Scibsmetalrock

Based solely on youtube and user reviews that Jet City 20 watt amp seems like a pretty awesome sound. But is there anything comparable to that tube amp that has a headphone jack?
Old 08-31-2014, 05:33 AM   #6
Offworld92
One among the fence.

The Vypyr VIP is a way better sounding amp than some Crush or Flexwave. Have you actually tried making a patch up from scratch, or are you just on presets?

Anyway, look for:

Peavey Ultra 112
Marshall DSL401
Egnater Tweaker
Jet City JCA22

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:59 AM   #7
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
The Vypyr VIP is a way better sounding amp than some Crush or Flexwave. Have you actually tried making a patch up from scratch, or are you just on presets?

Agreed.
Have you spent time dialing in the EQ and other settings properly?

More than once people I know were unimpressed by their amps, and after I did some adjustments to their settings (most of the time were EQ issues) they became aware of what their amps can do and started loving the tones they can get out of them by patiently messing with the amps' knobs.

I've had a couple of people at gigs ask me what gear they should buy to get a powerful distortion with lots of presence like mine. I asked them how they set their EQ. The reply was always the same -- they were scooping the middle frequencies.
You can't scoop mids if you want that massive, "in your face", distortion; quite the opposite. A generous amount of mids will add presence and emphasize the character of your distortion. It makes you cut through the mix easily in a band setting as well.

Another fairly common problem is that people use more gain than they need. Too much gain tends to sound bad.

Also, everything at 12 o'clock, or everything maxed out, usually aren't good settings.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
Scibsmetalrock

I've tried to mess around with the EQ because all of the presets obviously suck and I just can't get what im looking for. I found out on my own that scooping the mids isn't the way to reach that blow your roof off sound. And I played on the crate flex wave and personally thought it blew my amps sound out of the water, even for a cheap amp.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibsmetalrock
(...) because all of the presets obviously suck (...)

I liked some of the presets on the Vypyrs, both on the gen.1 and the new VIP series amps.

Quote:
And I played on the crate flex wave and personally thought it blew my amps sound out of the water, even for a cheap amp.

Then I don't know what to tell you. I've used both Crate Flexwave and Orange Crush amps before, and I wouldn't buy any of them (except the new Crush Pro CR60C/CR120C -- those I liked, but they're over your budget).
A Vypyr sounds much better to my ears.

It's a matter of taste, you probably simply prefer the Flexwave's tone to your Vypyr's tone. And there's no discussion there. But technically speaking, the Vypyr is far from "junk", as you called it, and it's superior to a Flextone in every way.

The best advice I think I can give you right now is don't settle by buying a Crate Flextone or an Orange Crush. Go for a Jet City, they're great amps. And don't let the lack of a headphone out put you off. If you need to practice silently, just get an used POD.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Old 08-31-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
Scibsmetalrock

Well, the Crate would be my fallback on, purely because I can snag one for around 70-80$ and just because like you said, I just like the tone better, but I really am looking for that pure tube sound thatll take pedals. What Ive found in my judget include the Fender Blues JR., The Jet City which I can get for 300, the DSL 401 which would be about $400 once one goes up on Craigslist or GuitarCenter, the VOX AC15. Now I just have to make a final decision.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Well, the Crate would be my fallback on, purely because I can snag one for around 70-80$ and just because like you said, I just like the tone better, but I really am looking for that pure tube sound thatll take pedals. What Ive found in my judget include the Fender Blues JR., The Jet City which I can get for 300, the DSL 401 which would be about $400 once one goes up on Craigslist or GuitarCenter, the VOX AC15. Now I just have to make a final decision.

If you want to play classic rock, hard rock, and a bit of metal and punk, the Jet City or the Marshall will be the best bets.

Which isn't to say that the Blues Jr. or the AC15 won't do it as well, but it'll be easier to nail the tones you mentioned on the OP easier, out-of-the-box, with a Jet City or a DSL.
With the Blues Jr. and the AC15 you'll probably need a good OD/distortion pedal to push them into mid-to-high gain territory.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112

Last edited by Linkerman : 08-31-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
Scibsmetalrock

Okay dude, I think Im just going to suck it up and get the Marshall, since Ive heard so highly of it on these forums. You guys love that DLS 401
Old 08-31-2014, 01:58 PM   #13
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Okay dude, I think Im just going to suck it up and get the Marshall, since Ive heard so highly of it on these forums. You guys love that DLS 401

But definitely try it first to see if you like it; don't buy it blindly.

Remember, the Vypyr has a good reputation on these forums as well (and better than Flextones' reputation), and you don't like it.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Old 08-31-2014, 05:24 PM   #14
Offworld92
One among the fence.

The Jet City is really good at what it does. But it doesn't do that much. The DSL401 is a lot more versatile and will cover what you want to do better.

But ^ +1 to everything Linkerman is saying.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:28 PM   #15
Scibsmetalrock

Thanks guys, I'm hoping I get to test both of them before I make any decisions
Old 08-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #16
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

maybe try a boss sd1 as an overdrive as well. it's a bit edgier than a tubescreamer which combines well with marshall-type amps (and sort of makes things sound a little bit more marshally too).

set it as a boost- gain/drive on 0 (or close to zero if you're not getting enough boost with it at 0), level on full (or to taste, but for most boost, on full), and tone around 2 o'clock. only use those settings if the amp is already pretty distorted or you'll kill your ears.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:05 PM   #17
diabolical

Sounds to me like you're a perfect candidate for one of the 6505 combos, or one of the other Peavey tube amps (3120 or even VK). Orange Tiny or Dark Terror if you don't care about fx loop - lots of character and you either like or hate Orange, when you hear it you'll know, very distinctive midrange. Might need overdrive for some of these.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:49 PM   #18
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

The old DSL401 is a fine amp but check the serial number panel and make sure it was made after 2003.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 09-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #19
Scibsmetalrock

Alrighty thanks everyone. Hopefully investing soon
Old 09-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #20
Scibsmetalrock

There isnt any DSL 401s for $400 on GC right now, how is this Marshall Haze 40 Combo? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshal...726-i3831259.gc

Rate This Thread: