Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-31-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
somethingisnt

Upto New guitar, what do you suggest?

Hi, I'm rick.

I've been playing guitar for almost a year now. I started off playing my sisters epiphone dove before I got my own squire stratocaster.
But now I've come to wanting my own acoustic guitar due to the fact I'm in another country to my sister.

I've looked at the little Martin lx black that is really bloody nice to look at but after seeing patticakes and many other peoples opinions on it, I realised it'd be a bad idea. Especially considering my main reason for loving it was just down to the cosmetics.
Anyway, I've really been interested in takamines. What really gained my attention is that my two favourite bands (taking back sunday and Bon jovi) both play talk amine acoustics.

But I want value for money, I don't want to buy something and sit there thinking "oh shit why did I buy this?" I want to feel like I've made an investment. I'm looking to spend around 300. I know I can't expect an amazing guitar for the price but just something decent, more than decent that I know will take me a long way.

I don't know guys, what do you suggest? I do prefer the attributes of a dreadnought to that of a parlour. But I don't know much, so what do you suggest?

The Takamine GD30CE-NAT seems pretty excellent.
And Takamine GF30CE-BSB
Thanks in advance

-Rick

Edit: I am not looking for an electro-acoustic specifically despite the takamine being one. I do enjoy a fair bit of midrange but I do prefer the overall cosmetic appearance of a dreadnought, however the NEX series may be alright for me.
Cosmetically I prefer something plain, not too jazzed up but I really love sunburst finishes.
Despite mentioning the Martin little Martin, that was sheerly for cosmetic reasons. Ideally, I would prefer a full scale guitar. My squire is shorter than most electric guitars and that really bugs me.

Sound wise, I do enjoy the sound of a takamine, both the dread and the NEX. I know the title was "what do you suggest?" And it really is what you suggest but I just want to know more about the sounds coming from each guitar. Cosmetics is not too important to me. (As long as it's not pink and sparkly like daisy rocks) :p

Last edited by somethingisnt : 08-31-2014 at 09:07 AM.
somethingisnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
GuitarIndo

hallo Rick nice to know you

my name is stephen i am from indonesia, sorry before if my english language is not good,,
where do you from dude??

i all ready post my guitar on this forum :
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1654658

i have other guitars maybe can give you some ide :3

do you want look my other guitars dude??
GuitarIndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
somethingisnt

It's alright, mate
Old 08-31-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Skizz_oV

I started shopping for a new acoustic about 6 weeks ago, and I was pretty much in the same position as yours, although my old Ovation was $300 and I was looking to upgrade to a higher end guitar.

My suggestion is that you shouldn't necessarily buy a Takamine just because two of your favorite bands use those guitars. When I was searching for my next guitar, I spent about a month going to the store a couple times a week and playing all different guitars to see how I felt about playability and sound.

I'd suggest that you do the same and don't limit yourself to a certain brand because your favorite bands use those guitars. I bought my Ovation on a whim with little research and although I was happy with it for years, it just doesn't compare to many other acoustic guitars out there when it comes to playability and sound.

In your price range, one I might consider taking a look at is this: Ibanez Acoustic

I really like the tone of this Ibanez and the playability was really good in my opinion. The only drawback on this guitar versus what you're looking for in an acoustic is that it's not a Dreadnought body.

I do strongly recommend getting your hands on whatever guitar you decide on and make sure you play it so that you know how it sounds and feels.

Hope this was helpful =)
Epiphone SG G-400

Line 6 Spyder II
Skizz_oV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarIndo
hallo Rick nice to know you

my name is stephen i am from indonesia, sorry before if my english language is not good,,
where do you from dude??

i all ready post my guitar on this forum :
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1654658

i have other guitars maybe can give you some ide :3

do you want look my other guitars dude??

As you've already been informed in that other thread by a moderator, advertising is prohibited on these forums.

*Reported*
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
somethingisnt

Skizz, thanks man. The body is fine, I just suggested a dreadnought body shape simply down to the fact I am comfortable with the shape.
I understand your point regarding my two favourite bands playing takamines. The fact they became a contender wasn't actually just because of the bands but because I'd already decided I liked them from research. (But the band factor was a huge pull).

I'd never actually considered ibanez because they make electric guitars too and I'd heard really good things about their electrics but I didn't want to chance getting an ibanez guitar and realising ibanez should have stuck with electrics.
But that Ibanez does look real nice and suits me perfectly.

I haven't actually properly started going out and looking for guitars yet, this was to get am idea of what I should look for. I've recently moved to Spain and guitar shops are rare where I am. There is one fairly near by which I haven't managed to check out yet. But the next time I am in the area I will be sure to.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
Skizz_oV

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingisnt
Skizz, thanks man. The body is fine, I just suggested a dreadnought body shape simply down to the fact I am comfortable with the shape.
I understand your point regarding my two favourite bands playing takamines. The fact they became a contender wasn't actually just because of the bands but because I'd already decided I liked them from research. (But the band factor was a huge pull).

I'd never actually considered ibanez because they make electric guitars too and I'd heard really good things about their electrics but I didn't want to chance getting an ibanez guitar and realising ibanez should have stuck with electrics.
But that Ibanez does look real nice and suits me perfectly.

I haven't actually properly started going out and looking for guitars yet, this was to get am idea of what I should look for. I've recently moved to Spain and guitar shops are rare where I am. There is one fairly near by which I haven't managed to check out yet. But the next time I am in the area I will be sure to.

Thanks

Ah I see. Nonetheless, I'd still strongly urge you to get a chance to play the Takamines (if you haven't already) before you decide to buy one. In fact, I'd strongly urge you to play anything you have your heart set on before you decide to buy it.

I hear what you're saying on the Ibanez and I had similar thoughts. One of the employees at the store turned me on to it though, saying that he owned one and that for the price it was a great bang for your buck.

Just to put it into perspective - My Martin guitar was almost $1000 USD, and most of it is made of mahogany. The Ibanez Top, back and sides are made of Mahogany, so this guitar is pretty light and also exudes a really great sound/tone.

That's just an example, but again, I strongly urge you to make an effort to get out there and play different guitars. Buying a guitar is a pretty serious purchase, so even if you have to go a pretty good distance to a bigger store with more variety, I'd suggest doing though. You maybe don't necessarily have to spend several weeks like I did, but maybe a nice day long trip could do the trick =)
Epiphone SG G-400

Line 6 Spyder II
Skizz_oV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
somethingisnt

I'll take note of that I don't know what the store I'll be checking out will have in stock but either way, I wouldn't be getting the guitar any time soon. Around christmastime I'll be heading to the city nearby...ish. That isn't very near by and from what the internet has told me, there's plenty of guitar shops lurking about. It's going to be an interesting trip, getting my guitar is. But it'll be fun.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
Philip Xander

My friend: just play, play, play and play some more.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of buying a new guitar without spending at least a month trying out as many different guitars as I could get my hands on. Try as many different brands in as many different stores as possible. Even try a few way out of your budget, so you start getting an ear and a feel for what quality means.

This is even more important with lower-budget guitars; it's happened to me quite a few times that I found a little gem for somewhere around 400,-, that was simply much better than an 800,-+ model from the same brand I tried somewhere else (last time this was with LAG, a French builder). I could never find another guitar of that brand with the same lovely feel.

Another budget-brand you can look into is Art & Lutherie, an acoustic Godin subbrand. They skip out on the finish, which makes it much cheaper than other guitars of its level, at the price of damaging a bit easier. It also changes the sound in not-at-all unpleasant ways. The one I ended up buying, a dreadnough cutaway, cost me 600,- clean and 1000,- with electronics and some customization, but they might have cheaper models.
I'm utterly in love with mine, despite its low price, and I feel no need whatsoever to replace it.
Philip Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:30 PM   #10
Tony Done

If you can afford it, I think the Taylor 100 series is a good place to start - the 114 is popular. Others are Yamaha and Tanglewood.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #11
somethingisnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Xander
My friend: just play, play, play and play some more.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of buying a new guitar without spending at least a month trying out as many different guitars as I could get my hands on. Try as many different brands in as many different stores as possible. Even try a few way out of your budget, so you start getting an ear and a feel for what quality means.

This is even more important with lower-budget guitars; it's happened to me quite a few times that I found a little gem for somewhere around 400,-, that was simply much better than an 800,-+ model from the same brand I tried somewhere else (last time this was with LAG, a French builder). I could never find another guitar of that brand with the same lovely feel.

Another budget-brand you can look into is Art & Lutherie, an acoustic Godin subbrand. They skip out on the finish, which makes it much cheaper than other guitars of its level, at the price of damaging a bit easier. It also changes the sound in not-at-all unpleasant ways. The one I ended up buying, a dreadnough cutaway, cost me 600,- clean and 1000,- with electronics and some customization, but they might have cheaper models.
I'm utterly in love with mine, despite its low price, and I feel no need whatsoever to replace it.

That is exactly what I'm going to do. As I said, I won't be able to buy one until decemberish so these next three months will be spent purely on research. Hopefully that's more than enough time.

Tony, I wish I could afford it! Well, I can, but you know what I mean.

Sigma guitars, not sure if there's anywhere around here that stock them, but if they did... I've heard so many amazing reviews about them but then so many absolutely dire ones.

I'm also really not fussed about frills either. I'm not bothered about electrics but I understand that sometimes they come along too. I'm not against them, they're just not an important factor.

Thanks

Last edited by somethingisnt : 09-01-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #12
Ashoag

Hello,

I would have to recommend anything Breedlove. The quality of the guitars is in comparison to none given the price tag. Breedlove has been around for a long time, but has never really made it big in the market for some reason. Last Winter I purchased my first Breedlove (Atlas Dreadnought D25/SRe) and it has proven to be one of the best purchases I've ever made in my life. The guitar retails for $1300, but I got it for around $500 through Musicians Friends "Stupid Deal of the Day".

A few of my friends who lead worship at their churches switched from Martins and Taylors to strictly Breedlove. As the months turn into years, they are finally getting the recognition they deserve. Appealing to the eyes and the ears.

http://breedlovemusic.com/
Ashoag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #13
rohash

I've been looking at upgrading myself. I'm looking for a AE dread with cutout, solid spruce top and preferably rosewood sides and back. The Tak's have caught my eye. The GD93CE, GD71CE, GD51CE and GD30CE all look pretty sweet and at a good price. Yamaha's get the most love on here for being the best bang for the buck so I'm also interested in the A1R and A3R(all solid wood) models. I don't understand why the Yammie A1R is $699 while the Tak 51CE is $419 when the materials seem the same and they are both reputable brands. I think the Tak is even made in Japan while the Yammie is made in China. What makes the Yamaha more expensive, better electronics? Has anybody played or own one of these models?

I've seen Breedlove getting a lot of great reviews also but I'm a little bit old school and I just don't like the unconventional looks of their guitars.

The only differences I can see between the Yamaha A1R and A3R is that the A3R has solid rosewood sides and back instead of laminate(both solid spruce tops). The A3R also has an ebony fretboard vs. rosewood for the A1R. Are these differences worth the extra $200?

Last edited by rohash : 09-02-2014 at 07:13 PM.
rohash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #14
jeffo46

I would look online and see if you could find one of these , a Fender DG 20S. They were made from 1995 - 2005 and are IMO , one of the best sounding Acoustics around. I recently got a 1999 model just a couple of months ago and I can't put it down. I'm 55 years old and have been playing for 43 years , so I'd like to think that I know something about both, tone and guitars. You could probably find one for around the $2-$300.00 price range.
jeffo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #15
Rockwellguitar

Hi,
I'm a beginner too. But, is alvarez good? the AD60?
I don't mean to hi jack this thread. Thank you
Rockwellguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #16
Paleo Pete

I'm a big fan of Takamine too, I have an older G series electric acoustic, it's a keeper.

I've also played Alvarez, Ibanez, Washburn, Martin, Fender, Sigma, Taylor, Guild acoustics plus a couple I didn't remember, most make good guitars.

Be picky. Try any guitar before you buy it. I tried out my Takamine in a pawn shop a couple of times, bought it when I realized a dozen people were there and I didn't hear a thing, looked around and everyone was watching me play. If it sounds that good, it's the one I want, so I bought it. When a half dozen redneck deer hunters talking rifles and scopes stop to listen to this old rock and roller, I know it's a good sounding guitar...

Also check out the cedar tops. I didn't know about it, but found out later my Takamine is a cedar top (cedar soundboard) and it gets a great tone. More low end than most acoustics and great sustain. Most are spruce.

Also make sure you don't get a laminated top guitar, usually the cheaper models. They're OK, but the tone just isn't there. Check out other brands, play them and listen to what they sound like, and pay attention to how the feel to your hands. Look at the edges of the sound hole, you can see the layers usually. That's laminated, put it down unless it sounds and sustains really well. It probably won't...Some of the Seagulls are made that way and less expensive Ibanez acoustics too.

Since quality control seems to be going downhill these days, look them over close. I saw a brand new one very recently with a bowed neck, and the way it was bowed, hard to describe, fixing it means a new neck, not cheap for a set neck guitar. Watch for fret buzz, a decent set up, flaws in the finishes...I see all kinds of nonsense these days that should have never left the factory.

Don't make a decision on a couple of minutes playing it, put it down and come back a day or two later. Play it for a good 10 minutes or more, any store that tries to rush you isn't doing you any favors. Since I have trouble with my left hand due to a tendon injury at age 12, I play any guitar I try out for 15 or 20 minutes, come back and try it again in a few days. If it hurts my left wrist, I move on. Listen to it close, make sure you like the sound and sustain. You have to live with it for a while, don't make a snap decision. I only have one guitar I decided to buy in 30 seconds, a Peavey electric. I still love it 20 years later...

Takamine is always on my short list, not because pros use them, but many do, I check them out because I like them. Tom Petty, Joe Walsh (all the guys in the Eagles), Van Wilks, Doobie Brothers and I've seen a dozen other pros using Takamine guitars. I think I saw John Mayer using one but not sure. Epiphone is also on my list, I've played several that were excellent. My favorite acoustic was an Epi that was stolen in Austin in about 1988. Also Alvarez (be picky), Ibanez, Oscar Shmidt, Yamaha (be really picky) and Fender.

Rate This Thread: