Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-31-2014, 11:04 PM   #21
Cause the Rat

99% hype. That's not what I think. It's the truth. Really bad, cheap cables are still bad. $100 bucks for a guitar cable is a joke. Why worry about frequencies you will never hear. Nor will any guitar amp ever reproduce. All the frequencies your electric guitar will ever produce comes from those tiny wires coming from your pickups. That's the simple truth. Pulling those electrons threw 1/4 inch of coper or silver will not make a difference. Quality shielding and flexible coper will. Get good stuff with good warrantees. Save the hype for people who've never seen the inside of the guitar. And NO, unless your running 40 ft or more of cable your not going to hear any difference. No matter what price you paid.
Cause the Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:06 PM   #22
romeozdistress

so the cables have nothing to do with the sqeauling and hum?
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:11 PM   #23
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

No. The cable is acting like an antenna when it isn't plugged into your guitar. The signal received is then amplified by the amp accordingly. It wouldn't matter if the cables were solid gold with soldering flux made with the tears of Robert Smith, it will still do it.
All you can do is clean the sockets of the amp (ALL of them), try new tubes and as stated, perhaps another speaker. If none of that works then sorry, but it's time for a new amp. Sure, if somebody like me was allowed to attack it, I may be able to reduce some noise but maybe not too.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:18 PM   #24
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cause the Rat
99% hype. That's not what I think. It's the truth. Really bad, cheap cables are still bad. $100 bucks for a guitar cable is a joke. Why worry about frequencies you will never hear. Nor will any guitar amp ever reproduce. All the frequencies your electric guitar will ever produce comes from those tiny wires coming from your pickups. That's the simple truth. Pulling those electrons threw 1/4 inch of coper or silver will not make a difference. Quality shielding and flexible coper will. Get good stuff with good warrantees. Save the hype for people who've never seen the inside of the guitar. And NO, unless your running 40 ft or more of cable your not going to hear any difference. No matter what price you paid.

Agreed that expensive stuff is a rip off, but about a third of your post is gibberish.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:06 AM   #25
romeozdistress

i just replaced the tubes and speaker lol. and i just got the amp, still owe 3 payments on it. ill just have to deal with the noise. thoughts ont hat joyo noise gate? seems like thats the only option left. its under 40. or i could just fork over the extra $15 and grab the ns-2 used i guess.

jj ecc83 and tung sol ecc82 and celestion eight 15.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1

Last edited by romeozdistress : 09-01-2014 at 12:09 AM.
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:26 AM   #26
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Building your own cables is a lot cheaper, but the lifetime warranty offered by Live Wire and Mogami and (I think) Monster are worth the extra initial cost to buy from GC, IMO.

If you're buying one or two cables and playing mostly in your bedroom, that's probably true. If you're playing out a lot, I'd venture it's NOT the best idea. I buy Canare cable and Neutrik cables in bulk and make a bag of them in an evening, in the lengths I need most. In the rare event that something happens with one, I've got a ton of spares and, should the cable actually need replacing (rather than a repair), I've probably saved enough money on the cables themselves AND the gas running back and forth to a GC and hoping they're not out of stock (they are, more often,these days) on the one I want to pay for another potload of materials.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:08 AM   #27
diabolical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Just to make it clear, mogami makes cables and neutrik makes connectors.

As for the reliability, with the money of a good cable with lifetime warranty on it you can make yourself two cables of the same length and quality if you buy enough cable at a time.

Sorry, meant to say Switchcraft...

One cool thing I did when I was playing ton of gigs while back was to buy all Mars Music brand cable which was basically on par with something like Livewires, not bad but affordable. They had lifetime warranty and Mars was a big chain so I carried the receipts with me and would replace them all the time, no questions asked. The other guitarist at the time did same with GC brand cable. It beat soldering.
diabolical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #28
Robbgnarly

^ My first Gibson LP came from a MARS, when they went bust Sam Ash took over the store and it was not the same after that.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #29
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
The issue is probably that when you don't plug a cable in, the input of the amp is shorted to ground, shunting all noise. Then when you put a cable in, that connection is broken and the noise is present at the input op amp. The issue is most likely your amp.

listen to matt, he knows more than me

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:03 AM   #30
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i know most people don't like monster, but look used. i bought all my monster cables (probably a dozen 20'ers) for 50% of new from a guy on CL. i talked him down more once i got them all. i paid like $20 for each cable.

i have ****ed up a few, siting on an end of it and klling the jack and one that was just beat, but i like the resin on the ends so it couldn't really disconect. they have an OTC warranty, i drive 8 miles to a shop. they hand me a brand new one in packaging and i am inand out of the store in five minutes.

i wouldn't pay $50 for a monster cable, but for what i did they are fine. if it colors tone, i guess the color isn't that bad

but when i get around to it i am going to order some good cable and switchcraft jacks and solder the ones for my pedalboard.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:03 AM   #31
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
listen to matt, he knows more than me

+2

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #32
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #33
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

With cables, you get what you pay for - up to a point. Alessandro makes a 20-foot cable that sells for US$2,000.00. I cannot imagine how it could be worth that much.

A lot of producers and engineers out here in La La Land genuinely prefer the Mogami Platinum cables, and some have had cables custom-made for them by Mogami, so they are definitely worth looking into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: