Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #1
gruuvybaby

Talking Best Way To Use A Boss NS-2

I am pretty new a playing guitar and just got a few pedals and need some advice on what order to put my pedals while using the Boss NS-2. I have the following pedals :

* TS-808 Custom Clone
* Sure Riot Distortion Clone
* Boss CH-1
* Boss RV-5
* Boss NS-2
* Do__er Chromatic Tuner

One the instructions with the NS-2 it says to keep the Reverb out of the loop and put it on the end but I was wondering if I need to do that with the Chorus also. Thanks for any advice for using these pedals.
gruuvybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy

does your amp have an FX loop?

if so put the chorus and reverb in the loop and use the four cable method.

tuner=>Ts-808=>Riot=>NS2 in=>NS2 Send=> Amp input
FX loop Send=>NS2 Return=>NS2 Out=>CH1=>RV5=>FX loop Return.

if not then just put the NS2 before the chorus and reverb
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
TU2=>MXR SUPER COMP=>WHAMMY IV=>TIMMY=>MXR 10 BAND=>NS2=>FX LOOP=>PH3=>DD20
loki_lulamen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
7thString
UG's fly on the wall

sell ns-2, buy power supply
7thString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
chrismendiola

First, figure out what the source of those noise is. If it's your guitar, stick your NS-2 in the front (meaning not in the effects loop). If it's the amp, then put it in the effects loop. I've never used a chorus pedal, I imagine it'd be fine either way since it isn't really time-based.

Noise gates/suppressors work best placed last on either side of the chain with the exception of time-based effects.
chrismendiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
'DC fan
how did I get here

From your guitar go: Tuner > Distorion > Wah > Modulation (or separately in FX loop) > Noise suppressor > Amp
'DC fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

what's your amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
gruuvybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_lulamen
does your amp have an FX loop?

if so put the chorus and reverb in the loop and use the four cable method.

tuner=>Ts-808=>Riot=>NS2 in=>NS2 Send=> Amp input
FX loop Send=>NS2 Return=>NS2 Out=>CH1=>RV5=>FX loop Return.

if not then just put the NS2 before the chorus and reverb

My main amp does but I use different amps all the time and thats the main reason I wanted a Multi-effects pedal. I thought the chorus would go at the end with the reverb but I wasn't sure..thanks.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
gruuvybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thString
sell ns-2, buy power supply

What do you mean by power supply? The pedals come with a pretty decent power supply.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
gruuvybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismendiola
First, figure out what the source of those noise is. If it's your guitar, stick your NS-2 in the front (meaning not in the effects loop). If it's the amp, then put it in the effects loop. I've never used a chorus pedal, I imagine it'd be fine either way since it isn't really time-based.

Noise gates/suppressors work best placed last on either side of the chain with the exception of time-based effects.

I'm pretty sure its my guitar because I get noise (hissing) no matter what amp I use...BUT, only when I use overdrive...
Old 09-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #10
gruuvybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'DC fan
From your guitar go: Tuner > Distorion > Wah > Modulation (or separately in FX loop) > Noise suppressor > Amp

I don't have Wah but by modulation I guess you mean Chorus and Reverb....So you're suggesting everything within the NS Loop...Hmmm
Old 09-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
gruuvybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
what's your amp?

My amp is a Kustom Quad 100 DFX...(Most powerful amp I could afford in my budget)..but its got 2 Celestion 12's
Old 09-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #12
gruuvybaby

BTW...I appreciate all the advice and input...I really like this forum. I was on a different site and they basically treated my like I was an idiot. So Cool
Old 09-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruuvybaby
My amp is a Kustom Quad 100 DFX...(Most powerful amp I could afford in my budget)..but its got 2 Celestion 12's

does it have an fx loop? that's sort of what i meant when I asked, and of course kustom seems to have just discontinued that amp so I can't find out on its website

Quote:

Old 09-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #14
gruuvybaby

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
does it have an fx loop? that's sort of what i meant when I asked, and of course kustom seems to have just discontinued that amp so I can't find out on its website

Yes it does. It has 2 separate lines (switchable) and its got all kinds of effects...I've only had it a week though..lol. Like I said, I use all kinds of amps because I go over to my friends places and we all play together with whatever they have...they are basically teaching me how to play so we have mini-jam sessions. To be more clear......

I know that I want a sound all my own and I want to build a "one box/compact" multi-effects pedal to help me achieve that. Why build one and not buy one you ask...well, I just like tinkering and have built a few guitars and want to build my own multi-effects pedal because most of the ones I have seen are too big or don't have the effects I want. I don't want to go totally state-of-the-art with the multi-effects pedals that have like 1000 presets and stuff...lol. This is why I need to know the proper order to put the pedals in with the NS because they are all going to be incorporated in the same housing and won't be able to be switched around...only on/off.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:02 AM   #15
7thString
UG's fly on the wall

Quote:
BTW...I appreciate all the advice and input...I really like this forum. I was on a different site and they basically treated my like I was an idiot. So Cool

Forums can often be like that. Less common here I think...
I may have been a bit short myself. I was basically saying that 90% of the time noise problems (in pedalboards) come from trying to daisy chain too many pedals or using bad wall-wart style supplies. Something like this http://cioks.com/index.php?option=c...id=39&Itemid=56 could save you many headaches further down the line. That is assuming you don't already have a dedicated power supply.
7thString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #16
jamitfx

any boost/overdrive pedal will also boost the noise level which comes to its input. Try to locate your noise source (maybe it's one of your effects, cables, single coils etc.). A good regulated and well filtered power supply is also preferable
jamitfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #17
'DC fan
how did I get here

Quote:
I don't have Wah but by modulation I guess you mean Chorus and Reverb....So you're suggesting everything within the NS Loop...Hmmm

Yeah modulation is like Chorus/Flangers/Phasers etc, though Reverb would go after the Suppressor otherwise the suppressor may mistake the reverb as noise and kill it a little
'DC fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #18
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Yes it does. It has 2 separate lines (switchable) and its got all kinds of effects...I've only had it a week though..lol. Like I said, I use all kinds of amps because I go over to my friends places and we all play together with whatever they have...they are basically teaching me how to play so we have mini-jam sessions. To be more clear......

I know that I want a sound all my own and I want to build a "one box/compact" multi-effects pedal to help me achieve that. Why build one and not buy one you ask...well, I just like tinkering and have built a few guitars and want to build my own multi-effects pedal because most of the ones I have seen are too big or don't have the effects I want. I don't want to go totally state-of-the-art with the multi-effects pedals that have like 1000 presets and stuff...lol. This is why I need to know the proper order to put the pedals in with the NS because they are all going to be incorporated in the same housing and won't be able to be switched around...only on/off.

thanks

I'd be inclined to try that since you have a loop. Having extra pedals complicates that somewhat, but (I think) it should still be pretty straightforward (though I haven't tried it myself with extra pedals ). I'm guessing you'd put all your od etc. pedals after the bit where it says "to amp input" (and then plug from the final one of those pedals into the amp input), and put the fx you'd normally put in the loop in the loop as normal, but instead of plugging the cable from the final pedal in your fx loop to the fx loop return on your amp, you'd run the cable to the ns2 where it says "from fx loop send".

complicating matters is that you normally want delays and reverbs unaffected by the gate, so i'd put them after the "to fx loop return" bit on the ns2 (and then run a cable from your final reverb/delay pedal back to the amp's fx loop return.

EDIT: So yeah, just to clarify what I mean there:

Guitar-> Tuner -> NS2 Input .

Then run an instrument cable from NS2 Send -> TS808 clone -> Riot Clone -> Amp Input.

Run an instrument cable from your amp's FX Loop send -> CH1 -> NS2 Return.

Finally run an instrument cable from NS2 Output -> RV5 -> Amp FX Loop Return.

I think. Don't quote me on that.

Also nice of you to say this forum is nice. I try to be nice most of the time but sometimes it's hard. And there is occasional trolling (from me as much as anyone)

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 09-03-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #19
gruuvybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thString
Forums can often be like that. Less common here I think...
I may have been a bit short myself. I was basically saying that 90% of the time noise problems (in pedalboards) come from trying to daisy chain too many pedals or using bad wall-wart style supplies. Something like this http://cioks.com/index.php?option=c...id=39&Itemid=56 could save you many headaches further down the line. That is assuming you don't already have a dedicated power supply.

OHHH...that kind of power supply No, I don't have a nice one like that. I did, however, look at one of those "HUM X" power supplies and thought about it and actually said to myself, " nah, the Boss one is good enough...lol " . Maybe I need to try one of those...I'll have to wait a couple weeks, it isn't in my budget right now. Thanks

Last edited by gruuvybaby : 09-05-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #20
gruuvybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamitfx
any boost/overdrive pedal will also boost the noise level which comes to its input. Try to locate your noise source (maybe it's one of your effects, cables, single coils etc.). A good regulated and well filtered power supply is also preferable

Yeah, its definitely the overdrive pedal guts I built into my guitar. I wonder if one of those solid state overdrive circuits for onboard use would be less noisy?

Rate This Thread: