Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Rock & Indie
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
NostraHistoria
Instrumental Guitarist

Buckethead is overrated

I listened to a lot of his songs this year, and it seems that outside of Soothsayer and Nottingham Lace, Bucketed is not that great. Soothsayer came out well, because he had another artist help him write it. A lot of Buckethead's songs are simple, not very melodic, and just plain unusual. Buckethead is eccentric just like Primus is. Yngwie and Marty Friedman are a lot better instrumental guitarists. Their songs are more complicated and melodic.
2000 Epiphone 7-String
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2015 PRS SE Standard

Amp:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo

Last edited by NostraHistoria : 12-19-2015 at 11:20 PM.
NostraHistoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #2
Banjocal
Feck

He has even less quality control than Merzbow and releases half as much interesting content but

why make a thread

EDIT: also, Primus are not eccentric. At all. Perhaps if you browse Reddit or /b/.

Last edited by Banjocal : 12-19-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
sasquatchjosh96
Confused Idiot Child

Location: Scotland, land of no access to small American music business products
He's eccentric, omg he's bad
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?
sasquatchjosh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
NostraHistoria
Instrumental Guitarist

Primus is really weird. Steve Vai has a lot of weird songs, too. Some of Satriani's songs are weird, too.
2000 Epiphone 7-String
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2015 PRS SE Standard

Amp:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Old 12-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Banjocal
Feck

If you think that any of those are "weird" you have a very limited exposure to prog and experimental rock.
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
NostraHistoria
Instrumental Guitarist

I like traditional music. Yngwie is my favorite.
2000 Epiphone 7-String
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2015 PRS SE Standard

Amp:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Old 12-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #7
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostraHistoria
I like boring music.

Yeah.

Comma splices killed Steve McNair. When you post a comma splice, you are supporting murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #8
NostraHistoria
Instrumental Guitarist

Oh, I forgot to mention that he wears a KFC bucket on his head and a mask — very different.
2000 Epiphone 7-String
2013 PRS Custom 7-String
2015 PRS SE Standard

Amp:
Marshall JCM 900 Combo
Old 01-22-2016, 03:11 AM   #9
CherokeShredder
Banned

Jordan was quite the killer hit that sparked popularity in Buckethead for many of the younger folks, good or bad in that regard. Same with Aunt Suzie. Marty Friedman, to even more people, will always be remembered just for Megadeth and not for any of his other work. That's not my personal take; just a parroting of popular views. Yngwee is a very decent instrumentalist, same with Merzbow. Eccentricity is a nice and defining part of a lot of infamous musicians, so it may not be so bad. Primus, I would say, is less eccentric than Yngwee at least in playing style, but that's just me. John the Fisherman, My Name Is Mud, Jerry Was A Race Car Driver (few examples of their songs, but all I could think off the top of my head) were huge hits, if I recall correctly.
CherokeShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #10
MellottMusic

The cartoon-like mysterious depiction of Buckethead really helped for people to get interested in him. There's more to I wouldn't call him terrible, but certainly not great either. Visual depictions can really help attract listeners to some artists for sure.
MellottMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #11
CherokeShredder
Banned

Especially if the artists are either eccentric or crafty. Seems to draw crowds in by major bucketfuls
Old 01-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #12
Million Dead

Not a big Buckethead fan. He is talented, though. Maybe not the most musically interesting, but he plays well enough and has a good visual component to his act. Primus are pretty surface level but they're talented dudes, too. Claypool rips. Also, feel free to call me out if I'm wrong, but it sounds like Yngwee does the same stuff shreddy classical guitarists/composers have been doing for centuries, just with distortion.
Million Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:29 PM   #13
CherokeShredder
Banned

Basically, Million. He is neo-classical metal on a lot of things. Extreme and him were going at it a lot before on who did better proportions of it, if I remember correctly. He copes with speedier forms of the older music.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #14
The Flying Whiz

How can anyone say that Primus is surface level or "traditional"? Not only did they completely swap the roles of the bassist and the frontman, utilizing vocals from someone who could by no means be considered a great "singer", all the while writing on topics that other people weren't even thinking about, they did this all with a unique take on funk, rock and punk fused into a new brown sound.

Also, if you listen to Buckethead and come away thinking that Soothsayer and Nottingham Lace are his only worthwhile songs, then I must say we've listened to his music for radically different reasons. For instance, some of my favorite Buckethead songs are 'I Love My Parents', 'Big D's Touch', 'Big Sur Moon', and 'Beyond the Knowing'. None of those are shredding songs. He doesn't do the whole jazz approach, with using non local key signatures and all that that entails, but his music is complex in that it captures something raw and unmistakably sincere.

Last edited by The Flying Whiz : 02-01-2016 at 06:24 PM.
The Flying Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #15
CherokeShredder
Banned

I Love My Parents, I remember from before. Soothsayer, Nottingham Lace, Final Wars, and Jordan are his more commercially successful ones, yes, but not necessarily his best ones :P I liked Aunt Suzie, too, and it wasn't completely shred or much of it. It was actually soothing and decently calm for his other works. Primus does offer quite a unique amalgamation of different genres all in once...and come on. Dem bass skills

-Sharky
Old 02-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #16
NothingRocks
( ͡͡ ° ͜ &

So "unusual" and "lacking complexity" means bad to you? That's quite a limited perspective and mind you have. Not liking a genre or artist is all well and good obviously but the way you're expressing yourself it seems like you lack perspective and forethought.

Awakia Facebook Page

Anime List
Music
Youtube
NothingRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #17
CherokeShredder
Banned

Oh no. Those are AMAZING things to have and be :3 Sometimes simple is the best route, and sometimes complexity is. It all depends on how one goes about it
Old 02-26-2016, 02:41 AM   #18
zeppelinpage4
1-800-GOLDEN-GOD

Location: Hopping over the Misty Mountains, I fly Dazed And Confused, on my way to California. Where I search for TheHeartbreaker's Houses Of The Holy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Whiz
How can anyone say that Primus is surface level or "traditional"? Not only did they completely swap the roles of the bassist and the frontman, utilizing vocals from someone who could by no means be considered a great "singer", all the while writing on topics that other people weren't even thinking about, they did this all with a unique take on funk, rock and punk fused into a new brown sound.

Also, if you listen to Buckethead and come away thinking that Soothsayer and Nottingham Lace are his only worthwhile songs, then I must say we've listened to his music for radically different reasons. For instance, some of my favorite Buckethead songs are 'I Love My Parents', 'Big D's Touch', 'Big Sur Moon', and 'Beyond the Knowing'. None of those are shredding songs. He doesn't do the whole jazz approach, with using non local key signatures and all that that entails, but his music is complex in that it captures something raw and unmistakably sincere.

100% Agreed, those are amazing songs.

My own 2 cents, techniques and all that stuff aside, I still love Buckethead. It's obviously a personal thing, but I find a lot of emotional attachment with his music, especially the softer atmospheric pieces. His music is expressive and emotional, and he manages to do it with a guitar in a special way. He'll always be one of my favorite guitarists.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
zeppelinpage4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:05 AM   #19
Guitar137335
UG's weirdo

Regarding he's playing, I think he's not as good as yngwie,PG, Bumblefoot. Sometimes he goes out of time, hits a few bum notes, not as fast as the others. But he can write GOOD music which a lot of the other guys can't and has emotion. That's why he's my favorite guitarist.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #20
kjtheguitarist

He's good.
Doesn’t change the fact that he's good, whether you like his play or not.
Doesn't matter why. He just is.
And my words are right.
kjtheguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: