Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
_tim*

Is Yngwie Malmsteen boring ?

Hey guys, Recently i tried to listen to new guitarists. I heard a lot of good comments about "Rising Force" by Yngwie Malmsteen. But when i listened to this album, i found this soo boring.... To me, it sounds empty, there is nothing but fast licks, I just can't understand this thing.

So my question is: Am I the only one ? I mean, I don't really like shred, my guitar heroes are Gary Moore, Matthias Jabs and Mark Knopfler. But what do you feel when you listen to Malmsteen ? Maybe my approach of his work is wrong, but this album was really painful to listen....
_tim* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
GuitarFan995

It's totally subjective. I, for one, really like Malmsteen and many other shredders, I love fast guitar playing. Someone may say it lacks "feeling" but I'll tell you, there are many feelings out there, and slow bends on a minor pentatonic scale can express only a certain amount of those. Anyway, have you ever listened to Gary Moore's guitar playing in the late 70s and early 80s? He used to play lightning fast neoclassical and fusion licks back in the day. Just listen to his "dirty fingers" guitar solo.

GuitarFan995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
blackone666
Step Off! Step Off!

LOL I bet you think classical music is boring noise for grannies and Boccherini plagiarized Mozart, and that kind of stuff.

I wonder if someone ever critiziced Pagannini for being "too technical"
blackone666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Cajundaddy

Yep. I really appreciate Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Ravel, JS Bach, Ives, and guitar from Django, Charlie Christian, Carlos Montoya, Paco De Lucia and others. Malmsteen makes me want to change the channel. I am sure he appeals to some but to my ears he is simply performing sterile technical pyrotechnics with little or no theme or melody. Not my cup-o-tea.

I don't care for Frederic Chopin for much the same reason. Different strokes for different folks.

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
MapOfYourHead
Often sarcastic

Yngwie only has like 5 good songs and none of them have vocals.
MapOfYourHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
_tim*

Gary Moore played all kind of stuff during his career, but I dont like his jazz fusion and shred period. But let me know, what are the songs by Malmsteen you consider as Good ?
Old 07-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackone666
I wonder if someone ever critiziced Pagannini for being "too technical"

Paganini knew what restraint was. Malmsteen doesn't.

Also, Malmsteen is a massive asshole, who thinks anyone who can't play as well or better than him is a failure.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
_tim*

Yeah, i know he's an asshole. Neogeofanatic made a video where he explains how to play a lick in the style of Malmsteen, and the video has been taken down. Stupid.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #9
wil
..but Teles are better

In terms of tone, technique and vibrato there weren't many players at the time who could get near the guy---He also wrote some beautiful stuff---Icarus Dream Suite springs to mind. Douche or not, derivative or not, the guy was (and still is) an incredible musican.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #10
Cajundaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil
Douche or not, derivative or not, the guy was (and still is) an incredible technician.

There, I fixed it for ya.

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
GuitarFan995

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tim*
Gary Moore played all kind of stuff during his career, but I dont like his jazz fusion and shred period. But let me know, what are the songs by Malmsteen you consider as Good ?

Icarus dream suite opus 4
GuitarFan995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #12
_tim*

I actually liked this one. Still not my style, but definately better than "Far Beyond The sun" or all the others songs I listened to
Old 07-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #13
wil
..but Teles are better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
There, I fixed it for ya.

Hilarious----seriously, I can understand people not liking Yngwie's music, but he seems to get so much bad press for his personality. Miles Davis was a dick, Al Di Meola can be a complete **** at times, Eddie Van Halen, Clapton's bizarre 'racist' rants, Jeff Beck talking about money nearly all the time, the list goes on and on.

Paul Gilbert and Guthrie have both spoken at some length about how much they love his playing and surely when you've reached their level of technique it becomes about something more---like I said, LISTEN to the music, the touch, tone, vibrato and attack-there aren't many more expressive guitarists out there than Yngwie. By his early 20s he was already being called the greatest guitarist ever.

He's also a fantastic improviser.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #14
Victorgeiger

Does Yngwie Malmsteen sound like Iron Maiden or does Iron Maiden sound like Yngwie Malmsteen?. I tried listen to "Rising Force" and immediately thought "Aces High"

News, reviews, guitar lessons and

Victorgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #15
_tim*

I don't really know, but Iron Maiden > Malmsteen for me ^^
Old 07-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #16
blackone666
Step Off! Step Off!

JESUS this guy is a troll, do not feed him.
blackone666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #17
willT08
Rap Game Joan Fontaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil
Hilarious----seriously, I can understand people not liking Yngwie's music, but he seems to get so much bad press for his personality. Miles Davis was a dick

lost it
Old 07-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #18
wil
..but Teles are better

Lost what? Seriously, the guy was a complete dick with an ego double the size of Malmsteen's.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #19
KailM

I find his music boring. I appreciate the skill he has, though. I just rarely find shred to be appealing, when it is done purely for the sake of shredding. I find it far more tasteful when the artist focuses more on more dynamic songwriting and occasionally throws in a face-melter, but that's just me.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #20
guitardork97

I have to be in the mood for him. I freaking love his vibrato and Bends though. As a musician he is undoubtedly talented and very bad ass at his instrument. Though I feel like when he finishes his phrases he kinda rushes the end of them if you know what I mean. Kinda comes of pompous but whatever, he worked very hard for his skills and deserves to flaunt them. The neoclassical thing is really cool.[QUOTE]
guitardork97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: