Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-18-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
ZylitoL
...Got Friedman?

The Official Marty Friedman Thread

EDIT: FUTURE ADDICT SUCKS

I didn't see a thread dedicated to Marty...so I'm starting one in conjunction with new details about his new solo album! A lot of other shredders have one, and Marty definitely deserves it, I think.
Quote:
FUTURE ADDICT!

Marty`s eighth solo album “Future Addict” is done and comes out on March 12 on Avex in Japan. This album features reworked, reconstructed, completely remade versions of some of the coolest songs from Marty`s entire career. Everything from his first band, Deuce, to his current Japanese stuff, it is all in there and all of it is on steroids.

There are also 3 new songs including the first single, “Simple Mystery”. Vocals on the entire album are handled by none other than Marty`s longtime drummer, Jeremy Colson, making his worldwide vocal debut! This album is an amazing introduction to Marty`s illustrious career, as well as the beginning of an exciting new era of his music. US and Euro releases to follow, more info on that to come.

Watch the first video, “Simple Mystery”, here:

March 12! CANNOT WAIT!!!
The good news is the new album's out in less than a month!
The bad news is, I don't like Simple Mystery, and if the rest of the album is in this fashion, it's going to get even less play from me than Music For Speeding Of course, the album will be a lot more eclectic, since it spans his entire career.

Other notes about his album...

-Jeremy Colson on Vox! HAH didn't see that one coming.
-Jeff Loomis has contributed a solo to one of the songs...it's probably kick ass!

Discuss his new album "Future Addict" (cool name I must add), and anything and everything Marty!

Last edited by ZylitoL : 08-27-2008 at 08:45 PM.
ZylitoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:38 PM   #2
Wiegraf
Terribly mediocre

Awesome, I'll be in Japan on March 15th... I'll have to pick this up.

Wiegraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:55 PM   #3
ZylitoL
...Got Friedman?

Ahh you're so lucky! I'm gonna have to wait for a US release...:/

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=LH4MS...feature=related
Marty playing with Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, Herman Li (and his little ring toy) and one other guy @ NAMM 08. Marty plays a short solo in the very beginning and it's somewhat hard to hear. Maybe he'll do a G3 with Satch sometime in the future...

http://www.avexnet.or.jp/marty/report/img/53.jpg
ALBUM COVER for Future Addict. MS Paint concept I guess...I'll wait for the music before judging but the cover isn't my cup of tea.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:29 AM   #4
Mental-lica
Lieks Moozik

I just got his solo album music for speeding love the album

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
Mental-lica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:38 AM   #5
lobster624
stop that

can't wait for this. i've liked everything marty has done so this should be great.
lobster624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:57 AM   #6
ZylitoL
...Got Friedman?

Music For Speeding? It's easily my least favorite album. I love Salt in the Wound, Novocaine Kiss and Gimme a Dose (to an extent)...but everytime my player plays Cheergirl Rampage, I'm compelled to switch to a new album. I cannot stand that song.

Loudspeaker is amazing...every track is a gem in its own right. A little less poppier would be perfect but can't have everything. Devil Take Tomorrow is my 2nd favorite Marty song.
True Obsessions is also great, aside from a couple of vocal tracks. Rio is my favorite Marty song...such beautiful music.
Scenes and Introduction are great. Not rock, but his eastern melodies come to life there. I love tracks Luna and Valley of Eternity.
Dragons Kiss...amazing. (insert generic comment about exotic scales, ass kicking shred etc) Enough has been said about this I think.

Dammit I want a track listing for Future Addict so I can listen to those ones on repeat in anticipation! I can't ****ing wait!!

Last edited by ZylitoL : 02-20-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:33 AM   #7
seymour_jackson
DOTA

wow i thought music for speeding was good but hearing ur commets about his other albums im compelled to ge them. i am a big fan of the wrok he did with cacophony and megadeth, espcailly most of his solos off of youthnasia and RIP. marty is just awesome in ever aspect of guitar and kicks soo much ass!!
seymour_jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
ZylitoL
...Got Friedman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymour_jackson
wow i thought music for speeding was good but hearing ur commets about his other albums im compelled to ge them. i am a big fan of the wrok he did with cacophony and megadeth, espcailly most of his solos off of youthnasia and RIP. marty is just awesome in ever aspect of guitar and kicks soo much ass!!

If you like his Cacophony stuff, then Dragon's Kiss is a must.

If you could stand the poppier element of Music For Speeding, then get Loudspeaker. It's less synth-driven, heavier, and is filled with soulful leads and great riffs.

True Obsessions is good as well! Worth your money just for the tracks "Rio" and "Intoxicated." Has 4 vocal songs (the Japanese version, that is), and the rest are instrumental. The instrumental songs have very different styles, every song explores a different area of his playing.

I'd suggest...

1. Dragon's Kiss
2. Loudspeaker
3. True Obsessions

I'd leave Scenes and Introduction till later, since they are not your traditional rock albums. Check them out when and if you get a chance.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
ZylitoL
...Got Friedman?

Track listing for Future Addict out.

01. Barbie (Friedman)
02. Simple Mystery (Friedman, Colson)
03. Tornado Of Souls - MEGADETH (Mustaine, Ellefson)
04. Burn The Ground - CACOPHONY (Friedman, Becker, Colson)
05. Where My Fortune Lies - CACOPHONY (Friedman, Becker, Colson)
06. Breadline - MEGADETH (Mustaine, Prager, Friedman)
07. The Pit And The Pendulum- HAWAII (Friedman, Colson)
08. The Killing Road - MEGADETH (Mustaine, Friedman, Ellefson, Menza)
09.Static Rain-MartyFriedman(Friedman,Colson)
10. Secret Of The Stars - HAWAII (Friedman, Colson)
11. Massive - DEUCE (Gattis, Friedman, Colson)
12. Tears Of An Angel (Friedman)

ToS alone for me should merit the album!

I guess Colson does most, if not all vocal duties, and drums too (Static Rain is instrumental, so assuming Colson's on drums on taht)

Last edited by ZylitoL : 02-24-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
Lord-Hypnos
UG Newbie

I can't believe Marty hasn't done a G3 yet, someone should happy slap Satch's shiny head for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Lord-Hypnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:20 AM   #11
Waterboy799
UG's Greek

*GASP*

****ing awesome! i really can't wait for this album to come out.

if Marty could do a G3 tour with Paul Gilbert and Satriani i'd be extremely happy.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Waterboy799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #12
SuburbanCowboy
Hear My Train A Comin'

Tornado of Souls and Killing Road are two of Marty's best solos from Megadeth!! I cant wait to hear how plays them on this new album.
Let it be, it aint me

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSpiderKing
SuburbanCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
the memory
Hoots Man!

Location: A galaxy far, far away (Scotland to the people that live here)

after seeing this video, i actually cant wait to hear the new recording of tornado of souls

dragon's kiss and loudspeaker are my favourite albums, and i'm looking forward to this!

any idea if he will do the vocal lines on guitar (like john 5s cover of welcome to the jungle), or get someone to do vocals?

www.facebook.com/theashenverdict
www.theashenverdict.bandcamp.com/
www.facebook.com/lostwoodsrecords
the memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:06 AM   #14
ZylitoL
...Got Friedman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the memory

after seeing this video, i actually cant wait to hear the new recording of tornado of souls

dragon's kiss and loudspeaker are my favourite albums, and i'm looking forward to this!

any idea if he will do the vocal lines on guitar (like john 5s cover of welcome to the jungle), or get someone to do vocals?

Not sure if he'll do vocal lines on guitar, but it might be sweet to have that.

Only 5 days away from March 12th. Can't wait.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #15
nightraven

wtf is this?

marty is well known for his improvising and composing skills. why doesn't he give us a flashy new album instead of this. megadeth re-releases has already put me off. and i don't know how they can fit jason into the cacophony stuff, it'll probably end up as a bit of studio tweaking.

pfft @ static rain, he just released that on his last album. and it wasn't that groundbreaking to say the least. his few new pieces might be interesting i guess, but meh, disappointing.

dragon's kiss was my least favourite album. oh yay, more mettulz. i want true obsessions/scenes style marty

and if he nabs j5's idea of putting the vocals onto lead guitar i'll be angry

oh well, i think the cacophony stuff might be better than the original since i hated their singer.

i think we all know marty can do better than some marketing scheme.

/rantrantrantprovokeflaming.
nightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:31 AM   #16
ZylitoL
...Got Friedman?

It's out today!

My friend is travelling to Japan in a week and I'm gonna try to get him to buy me Future Addict. Can't wait!

Anyone got links/previews to any other songs on FA?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:55 AM   #17
Abbott
UG's Jackson Guru

I'm such a classic Cacophony/MartyDeth fan...I just heard snippets of the new album...and he just single handled ruined some of my favorite songs...

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=AVCD-23546

Vox...Wow...:/...Whhhhyyy *cry*
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #18
ZylitoL
...Got Friedman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott
I'm such a classic Cacophony/MartyDeth fan...I just heard snippets of the new album...and he just single handled ruined some of my favorite songs...

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=AVCD-23546

Vox...Wow...:/...Whhhhyyy *cry*

AWW WHAT THE **** MARTY.

Don't have time to listen to all songs but from what I've heard.

Barbie - Sounds like a B-cut from a typical Friedman album. The snippet didn't tell much though and hopefully it's a decent song.

Simple Mystery - Pop song of the music video.

Tornado of Souls - Fail. Fail. The tight rhythm that first drew me deep into Megadeth is gone in exchange for some half assed chords. Colson's vocals are not very good to begin with, and to make matters worse, he sings like Simple Plan on this one (and all the other songs for that matter). I'm still in denial over this.

Static Rain - Instead of vocals -> guitar lines, he did guitar lines -> vocals. Colson sings the melody on this one and since this song is my least favorite out of the ones in Loudspeaker, I don't see myself growing attached to this new version either.

Tears of an Angel - Beautiful melody and ambience, but on violin. Would've loved it on guitar in a similar fashion to Devil Take Tomorrow.

Very disappointed, but will give it another shot later today...Sheehan is on bass for a couple of tracks if anything, and Loomis has a solo in a song.

Last edited by ZylitoL : 03-13-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #19
the memory
Hoots Man!

Location: A galaxy far, far away (Scotland to the people that live here)

i think that song is actually pretty good!

www.facebook.com/theashenverdict
www.theashenverdict.bandcamp.com/
www.facebook.com/lostwoodsrecords
the memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #20
metallhead
UG Fanatic

I just listened to some of the samples and I am disappointed. I got used to beautiful melodies and licks from Marty, and my expectations were high. I don't like the version of Tornado of Souls, and pretty much the same with everything else. Maybe after the album gets released in the US I will listen to the full songs and change my mind but the chances are slim. Too bad ...
metallhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: