Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Music Theory Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-15-2002, 08:03 AM   #1
HankHendrix
Banned

Upto How do you name chords?

Hi all! I am coming to terms with scales(easy) and chords and how to build the chords but I don't understand how to name a chord if you have the tab chords.

e.g

The chord from Stairway to Heaven

e---7
B---8
G---9
D---0

Now obviously the root is D but the 5th degree in the scale of D is A. The note on the G string is an E so am I right in saying that this won't be a D chord now? Or do you find a chord with E as it's 5th degree and then change the name subsequently?????

I need to know how to work the chord names out because the chords I use in my music writing are made up from the harmonizing sound of them so they are obscure.

Thanks alot and Peace
Chris
Old 09-15-2002, 09:15 AM   #2
beatallica_fan
UG fluffly club member #5

Thats an Em/D basically an E minor chord with a D note as the bass note.
Member #5 of UGs fluffly club, and proud of it

Our mission - to be warmer and fuzzier than any other club

http://beatallica.dmusic.com/
Old 09-15-2002, 09:22 AM   #3
casualty01
Here all along

hey man .... good question, and something every musician should know

well first off, that chord you listed there.... the stairway chord is an E-7 chord in its 3rd inversion. that just means you have an E-7 (E-G-B-D) stacked like so (D-E-G-B). you might also see it written like so E-/D which means you play an E-7 with "D" in the bottom....

ok .... on to naming chords....

I posted this in an earlier thread, so right now im going to copy & paste. however im also including the link to that thread, cause it started of as a scalar discussion on the major scales .... went into the modes, then into chord construction and naming, so heres the chord naming part.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok ... naming chords is a little bit more involved than just saying its from this mode or that .... HOWEVER each chord can be related to a certain mode and eventually chords and modes are just looked at as the same thing. I know , confusing at first .

for one thing you really gotta know your intervals in order to name chords. cause well, thats what chords are really , just a certain combintaion of intervals. musicians use whats called The Harmonic Order of Strengths (well , they just learn it, memorize it and apply it) . ya see ... in chords there are tones that are stronger in identifying the chord more so than tones. like the 3rd and the 7th for example.

ok .... heres the harmonic order

Code:
6 1-3-5-7-^-9-11-13 - adds--sus's--unnaturals

adds = something outside of the order of strengths like 2, 4, 6 etc.. like if you have 1-3-4-5 your chord is gonna read Maj (4) or Maj add 4 (also it could read Maj add 11 cause the 4 is also the 11 ..... dont worry we'll get too that ) adds are written in ( )

Sus = 2 or 4 when the 3rd is not present ...
ex. if we built a chord using 1-4-5-6 off of the letter C than it would be a C6 sus4

unnaturals .... unaturals are consider b's and #'s ... except b3rd's and b7th's .... so for example b2 or b9, #9, #4 or #11, b5, b6 or b13 would be unnaturals ...

also .... 2=9, 4=11, 6=13 once you go past the octave (of the root of the chord) .... 2,4, and 6's are raised by 7 so thats why you get 9,11,13...

this gives you the order of strongest tones in a chord. you should look for the order in a group of notes or chord given to you in order to name the chord

for example, say you have C-D-E-G-B well lets look from the C if we looked at the C major scale we see ... ok the C is 1 the D is 2 the E is 3 the G is 5 the B is 7 in the order we see 1-3-5-7-2 (remember the 2 would be an "add" so that goes at the end ...) so this would be called C Maj7 add2 . now ... this is called a 2 and not a 9 because it wasnt after the octvae .... if it was written C-E-G-D (notice the 7th has been removed, therefore breaking the order, which results in the 9 being an "add" )... then it would be called a C Maj add9 cause the D occurred after the octave.

now what if i gave you C-E-G-B-F#
well ... look at the intervals .... C=root, E=3rd, G=5th, B=7th , and F#= #11
so this chord would be named C Maj7 (#11)
now ... this chord could be looked at as a chord or a mode ... which mode out of the ones I gave you has 1-3-5- and a #11 ?(same thing as a #4 dont forget).

If you said lydian you get a prize

it really takes practice and patience , it's not the easiest thing in the world too get a grasp of and get fluent with.

now ... b3rds and b7ths aren't considered unnaturals even though they are "b's", because they are identifying tones (tones that give a chord it's specific tonality (i.e. major/minor/diminised/dominat/etc...)

here's your combination of 3rds and sevenths and what chords they identify

3rd and 7th = Maj7
3rd and b7 = Dominant 7th
b3rd and b7 = min7
b3rd+ b7+b5= min7 (b5) aka half diminished
b3rd+b5+ bb7 = fully diminished

those are your 5 basic 7th chord constructs ... you can relate EVERY chord (except SUS chords, cause they don't have 3rds ) back to one of those chords ...

what I want you to do, is look at those chords and figure out what mode they would go with. look at my original post, ok? look at the interval #'s I posted under each mode and look too see what mode has the intervals of the chords I just gave you .

so, really knowing your intervals is a must in identifying chords .... and once you learn how chords are named ... you can come up with any chord on the spot; its really great .

If you know that a Maj7 (#11/13) has 1-3-5-7-#11-13 in it ... and you know how too find those intervals off of whatever root you're on , then you can just find it ... and if you know this stuff, you can find the same chord in hundreds of different places just by playing the intervals in that chord

and say if you see a chord with a b2 in it ... well that gives you 2 choices out of those modes ... locrian or phrygian ... and if it has a 5th instead of a b5 .... well than it has too be phrygian cause locrian has a b5 .... gotta know your interval makeup of the modes too know which modes too use over which chords . it's all memorization .... but once you get past that .... man the musical world opens up to ya.

now theres more rules in that order of strengths but i gotta get recording, so just absorb all this for now ..... and if yall have any questions, keep em comin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok ... so theres the chord naming post from this thread

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...&threadid=13741

i recommend you go there and read the whole thread as well...

and the offer still stands .
any questions on all that, just post em here .

Cas-

Don't be an idiot... click and find out.

Last edited by casualty01 : 04-06-2003 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:29 AM   #4
beatallica_fan
UG fluffly club member #5

Thanks for making me look like a total dumbass Cas, lol
Member #5 of UGs fluffly club, and proud of it

Our mission - to be warmer and fuzzier than any other club

http://beatallica.dmusic.com/
Old 09-15-2002, 11:07 AM   #5
A Trace of Doubt
UG Addict

Thumbs up

cas

Old 09-16-2002, 12:30 AM   #6
dmal
Fluffy Club 7

Are you some kinda music theory RAIN MAN or something?

Answers to your questions
Old 09-16-2002, 12:32 AM   #7
Snyper
Warm and Fuzzy King

Quote:
Originally posted by dmal
Are you some kinda music theory RAIN MAN or something?

apparently he is, look at all of that, its gonna be a long night of reading for me
Old 09-16-2002, 02:08 AM   #8
negative1
Uglier than you.

well if you're chinese you name them by dropping a wok down the stairs (chang! fong! wang! bing!). no wait, that's children.

Disclaimer:
i apologize to any chinese folks who objected to the previous statement. i understand your children make our pants, toys, and computers, and deserve respect. no offense was intended.

My band's UG page:
http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/untilextinction

My elephant:
http://www.nobodylovesyou.info
Old 09-24-2002, 07:09 PM   #9
SY57EM
<HTML TAG>

Quote:
Originally posted by negative1
well if you're chinese you name them by dropping a wok down the stairs (chang! fong! wang! bing!). no wait, that's children.
thats rather uncalled for

Quote:
Originally posted by negative1
Disclaimer:
i apologize to any chinese folks who objected to the previous statement. i understand your children make our pants, toys, and computers, and deserve respect. no offense was intended.
what was the point of this post again??
Old 12-26-2002, 02:07 AM   #10
casualty01
Here all along

*****do not delete******

Cas-

Don't be an idiot... click and find out.

Rate This Thread: