Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > UG Contribution
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2005, 05:51 PM   #1
Maet

Maximized Guitarist Part 2

This is my first article submission for here, and it's an addition to the "Maximized Guitarist" article that slaughtered a good discussion topic. So here it is for y'all to see.

Article:

FOREWORD: ?decapmyhead? (The author of the ?Maximized Guitarist? article) completely slaughtered a good discussion topic, so I?m redoing it the way it should?ve been done.

Enjoy.

?Maximized Guitarist?. What?s the first thing that comes to mind when you think about it? Be honest now. Without the previous article suggesting you to think about ?john satriani? and what a bad article decapmyhead wrote, you?ve probably thought of your immediate favourite guitar idol. Whether you?re a shredder liking Satriani, or a gritty type person idolizing Neil Young or a technical type who appreciates Clapton or experimental who enjoys Hendrix, without a doubt, you?ve probably thought about you?re idol.

I guarantee you that you?re signature sound is developed by listening to your idol. Without a doubt, that is the case with most everybody. You look up to you?re idols. You idolize them, worship them, admire them, you get the idea, and the passion, energy and fire that is conveyed in their music is what you want to hear in you own. They?ve gotten to where they are, or where they have been by staying true to themselves and their roots. Experimenting, learning, building confidence and perfecting their skill. Their desire an passion keep them going. That?s what you want to keep you going to. Not for fame or glory, but for the music.

But how do you maximize you?re guitar playing ability? Here is an improved article from the first to help you do it.

Play Alone or with a close Friend

Genuine musicians tend to enjoy playing alone. For obvious reasons it should seem, playing alone sets the foundation for your confidence building. Let?s face it, not a soul enjoys screwing up in public. Whether it be a musician in a subway or a kid at a talent show or someone playing for a group of friends or their parents, you run the risk of screwing up in public. And it isn?t fun and has shattered many of my friends dreams of music, or at least put them off of it for a while. When you?re alone or with a close friend, you?re not trying to impress someone. You?re mistakes are helped and not ridiculed. You don?t feel like a failure. You just feel like you can play. Private practice as opposed to public playing is a good way to build the foundation for your confidence, and hone your skills.

Learn New Songs, Licks, Solos & Riffs

Keep it fresh. Summed up this section in 3 words. Ironman, Smoke on The Water, Day Tripper, they?re all good songs with good riffs that made some influence for sure, but to be blunt. They?re over used, and stale. Learn as many songs as you can. Hear a song on the radio, and start putting chords together and figuring it out. Mess around with solos you can?t pin down, learn that blues lick you always thought was cool or blues turn-around you love, or bass line that you can?t get out of your head. Premeditated or on Impulse, it?s good to be fresh, and keep it real.

Rhythm Is Necessary!

Completely ignore that fools depiction of rhythm. Rhythm is 75% of the song and timing is everything. Simple chord progressions like Am, C, G, F in 4:4 can sound one stale, bland old way. Or jazzed up to sound like a variety of genres depending on the rhythm that?s used. It could sound heavy, jazzy, bluesy, hard and metal, but it all depends on the rhythm. Learning your solos is need, but don?t neglect this crucial piece of information.

Learn Theory

I can?t stress this enough. To get anywhere as a musician, you should understand why things are the way they are. Why the major scale is 7 notes and an octave, why bar(re) chords are movable and interchangeable, why relative major and minor chords work together, why & where augmented and diminished chords are used. ?What? is the guitar, ?Who? is you, ?Where? is where ever you are, ?When? is whenever you feel like playing, but ?How? and ?Why? are the 2 biggest things you?ll need to know. Ask questions, get answers, get help and know why and how!

Practice

Obvious no-brainer. Talent and skill don?t just ?happen?. It takes hard work and effort to get to where you want to be and where your idols got. Don?t strain yourself though. All it takes is a half an hour practicing something you want to learn and an eight hour nap on a daily basis, and over time you?ll get it. Work hard at what you want, but don?t neglect what you already know. Practice new things, and review what you already know to stay sharp, and keep improving.

Get inspired

Go to a concert, slap on a CD or DVD, read online or magazine lessons or interviews of your idols. Just get inspired and stay inspired. Inspiration is one of the biggest tools you?ll need to become great.

Unplug and learn about other instruments

Practice you?re acoustic work as well as your electric work. It?s great to know about all angles of the musical world. And while you?re at it, play electric, play acoustic, play bass, play the piano, play the keyboard play the flute, play everything. Musical theory and instruments are all relative; the only thing different is the sound and how it?s played.

Multitask

When you?re watching TV or talking on the phone or on the computer, have you?re guitar or bass with you. Pay attention to one thing, but subconsciously, build your picking speed, run through a lick or scale, practice you?re slap pop and thumping skills. You can do two things at once, and every minute you hold you?re instrument and do something with it, paying attention or not, you?re perfecting how to use, and honing your skills.

That?s it. I hope you see this as an improvement on the previous article. I look forward to your critique, and hopefully this will start you on your road to becoming better, and becoming great.

2/16/05

Last edited by Maet : 02-23-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Maet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
DFrr15
UG's Classic Rocker

great article, especially for begginers or people that have lost interest

Jimmy Page/Jimi Hendrix
DFrr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:28 PM   #3
ollerom_mot
A Guitarist (of sorts)

good article, much better than the other one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh!
Pfft, everyone gets your goat, your goat is a goat-slut. She/he/it is like the village uni-cycle..all of the clowns have had a ride..and you live in CLOWN VILLAGE.
ollerom_mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
high voltage
Keep Rocking

This is much better then the last edition of maximum guitarist as this column holds much stronger facts, statements, tips and overall knowledge. I would probably consider removing the foreward statement to decapmyhead as it really isn?t needed, nor is it a good way to start off to a column. By the way, I?m assuming decapmyhead was the writer of maximum guitarist issue one?

I would consider renaming the column, many people would be under the impression there is a solid connection between the two articles, when really you just expanded his idea and wrote it up correctly. Although, I would mention you were inspired to write this because of the first issue. Correctly me if I'm wrong, but you don?t have the rights to continue the series without the original distributor?s permission. In fact, I see many of the same sentences copied almost directly from the original of the series.

I?m not one hundred percent sure what I think at the moment, it?s an overall good column especially compared to the last, although some things are partly copied and some bits and pieces can be arguable. Overall, it?s an alright article.

By the way... I notice a lot of spelling and grammar issues, maybe you should consider running this through spell check?

Last edited by high voltage : 02-23-2005 at 08:02 PM.
high voltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
Maet

I will remove foreword statement. I'll probably rename it because by association, it may be ridiculed even though it's very different. Yes I was inspired to write this article from the original version, but not the type of inspiration that wants me to try and top something great, but inspired to do the article the way it should've been done. An about the "rights" to continue the series, refer to your most recent article. It wasn't copyrighted, so boo hoo for him .

But yeah, thanks for the critique, Chris. I'll revise and re-post it in this thread when I'm done with it.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:59 AM   #6
afirocker00
UG Addict

Good article but when people play their guitars on the phone it annoys the person they're talking to a hell of a lot.

Good tips though.

Oh yeah and uh....

The People have spoken - Stop kissing Popapez's ass!
afirocker00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:54 AM   #7
SilentDeftone
UG God

A few grammar errors, but overall good. 'Your' rather than 'you're' in some cases.

College Dodgeball
SilentDeftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #8
Maet

Maximized Guitarist Pt. 2 (Revised)

?Maximized Guitarist?. What?s the first thing that comes to mind when you think about it? Be honest now. You?ve probably thought of your immediate favourite guitar idol. Whether you?re a shredder liking Satriani, or a gritty type person idolizing Neil Young or a technical type who appreciates Clapton or experimental who enjoys Hendrix, without a doubt, you?ve probably thought about your idol.

I guarantee you that your signature sound is developed by listening to your idol which is the case with most everybody. You look up to your idols. You idolize them, worship them, admire them, you get the idea. The passion, energy and fire that is conveyed in their music is what you want to hear in you own. They?ve gotten to where they are, or where they have been by staying true to themselves and their roots. Experimenting, learning, building confidence and perfecting their skill. Their desire and passion keep them going. That?s what you want to keep you going to. Not for fame or glory, but for the music.

But how do you maximize your guitar playing ability? Here is an article to help you do it.

Play Alone or with a close Friend

Genuine musicians tend to enjoy playing alone. For obvious reasons it should seem, playing alone sets the foundation for your confidence building. Let?s face it, not a soul enjoys screwing up in public. Whether it be a musician in a subway or a kid at a talent show or someone playing for a group of friends or their parents, you run the risk of screwing up in public. And it isn?t fun and has shattered many of my friend?s dreams of music, or at least put them off of it for a while. When you?re alone or with a close friend, you?re not trying to impress someone. Your mistakes are helped and not ridiculed. You don?t feel like a failure. You just feel like you can play. Private practice as opposed to public playing is a good way to build the foundation for your confidence, and hone your skills.

Learn New Songs, Licks, Solos & Riffs

Keep it fresh. Summed up this section in 3 words. Ironman, Smoke on The Water, Day Tripper, they?re all good songs with good riffs that made some influence for sure, but to be blunt, they?re over used, and stale. Learn as many songs as you can. Hear a song on the radio, and start putting chords together and figuring it out. Mess around with solos you can?t pin down, learn that blues lick you always thought was cool or blues turn-around you love, or bass line that you can?t get out of your head. Premeditated or on Impulse, it?s good to be fresh, and keep it real.

Rhythm Is Necessary!

Rhythm is 75% of the song and timing is everything. Simple chord progressions like Am, C, G, F in 4:4 can sound one stale, bland old way. Or jazzed up to sound like a variety of genres depending on the rhythm that?s used. It could sound heavy, jazzy, bluesy, hard and metal, but it all depends on the rhythm. Learning your solos is needed, but don?t neglect this crucial piece of information.

Learn Theory

I can?t stress this enough. To get anywhere as a musician, you should understand why things are the way they are. Why the major scale is 7 notes and an octave, why bar(re) chords are movable and interchangeable, why relative major and minor chords work together, why & where augmented and diminished chords are used. Theory is valuable, and you will need it if you decide to pursue music as a career.

Practice

Obvious no-brainer. Talent and skill don?t just ?happen?. It takes hard work and effort to get to where you want to be and where your idols got. Don?t strain yourself though. All it takes is a half an hour practicing something you want to learn and an eight hour nap on a daily basis, and over time you?ll get it. Work hard at what you want, but don?t neglect what you already know. Practice new things, and review what you already know to stay sharp, and keep improving.

Get inspired

Go to a concert, slap on a CD or DVD, read online or magazine lessons or interviews of your idols. Just get inspired and stay inspired. Inspiration is one of the biggest tools you?ll need to become great.

Unplug and learn about other instruments

Practice you?re acoustic work as well as your electric work. It?s great to know about all angles of the musical world. And while you?re at it, play electric, play acoustic, play bass, play the piano, play the keyboard play the flute, play everything. Musical theory and instruments are all relative; the only thing different is the sound and how it?s played.

Multitask

When you?re watching TV or talking on the phone or on the computer, have you?re instrument with you. Pay attention to one thing, but subconsciously, build your picking speed, run through a lick or scale, practice you?re slap pop and thumping skills. You can do two things at once, and every minute you hold you?re instrument and do something with it, paying attention or not, you?re perfecting how to use, and honing your skills.

I know it was suggested that I rename the article, but "Maximized Guitarist" is a name that fits. I don't think I'll change it.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:37 PM   #9
high voltage
Keep Rocking

This column has been submitted and accepted. It can be viewed here.

*closed*

Rate This Thread: