Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-13-2005, 08:05 PM   #21
mnbaseball91
The Dude

Awesome. I think I had read that at some point but I don't think I was paying much attention to it when I did.

I'm still looking for suggestions since I can't make any decisions for awhile anyway. Keep 'em comming!

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:55 PM   #22
mnbaseball91
The Dude

Next question (and a pathetic attempt to keep my thread from dying before I get my supplies):

How do I mount the middle single coil pickup so that it isn't so much lower than the ring-mounted humbuckers?

Old 03-15-2005, 04:59 PM   #23
sharpie
freedom.

tighten the side screws.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:49 PM   #24
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

^ yup, simple as. or you can lower the HBs to match it.

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:10 PM   #25
mnbaseball91
The Dude

Alright. I'm sure I could have figured that out once I had all the stuff in front of me, but it would have been bugging me for three weeks. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #26
mnbaseball91
The Dude

Last night I realized the exact tone that I want out of my single coil pickup - Buddy Guy's tone. Obviously I can't get his exact tone, but based on that, does anyone have any pickup recomendations?

Old 03-21-2005, 05:28 PM   #27
so-far
UG Member

Hey if you want Buddy Guys Tone your best option woudl be lace sensor gold pickups wich is what Buddy uses.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:56 PM   #28
godofshred
petrucci's homeboy

thems thins is amazings's! lol..really..if you want a sharp..bluesy tone use them..but to get buddy's sound youl need toput a 25db bosster in there with them..thats whats on his sig. and it sounds great!..happy to help!
Old 03-21-2005, 07:19 PM   #29
mnbaseball91
The Dude

^Damn it! Him and Clapton both!! I wouldn't mind building a strat with a mid boost in it, but I don't see my self putting it in this guitar. I guess I'll have to save my sudden blues obsession for next time.

Edit: Ok, I've looked into the gold lace sensor and I like what I see (and the price too!). Just a couple things:
1) Are they any different than normal single coil pickups? They'll fit my sc rout, right? (sorry, I know nothing about single coil pups)
2) I was hoping I could get a black pickup, and it doesn't look like they make these in anything but white. Is there a way to change the color or a cover I could put on it?

Last edited by mnbaseball91 : 03-21-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:44 PM   #30
Mascot
UG Addict

I don't believe that Lace Sensors have a detachable cover, so you're pretty much stuck with the white unless you plan on painting it or something along those lines. But if you ask me, white pups look really nice.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:17 AM   #31
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

^ you can get black Laces too. and they do the "Holy Grail" ones that are just like single coils with the open pole pieces.

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:37 PM   #32
mnbaseball91
The Dude

Just a quick update: I went down to guitar center to pick up some fretboard oil, and while I was there I bought my neck pickup, a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro. They took $10 off, so that made me happy. So now I have my first piece of the guitar in my hand. Still no tracking number from Warmoth so I assume they haven't shipped the stuff yet. While I was at GC, I asked about Lace Sensors and a Dimarzio Super Distortion, but they didn't have any Lace Sensors and they didn't have the non f-spaced SD in black.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:45 PM   #33
mnbaseball91
The Dude

I've found several Lace Sensors with black covers on ebay so I'll probably get one of those when the time comes. Should look sweet - black pickups with chrome rings around the humbuckers.

Change of plans as far as the finishing is concerned...

I've been told by several people that the blue-green burst I was so in love with looks like an old piece of hard candy (or a lolipop, as one person put it). The more I look at it, the more it seems that they're right. I've decided to forget the green and just go with transparent blue (not a burst). The back will likely be matched the color of the neck, although light tan or transparent blue haven't been completely ruled out yet. I'll have to see how the actual piece of wood looks.

Since I'm using water based dies and an oil based grain filler, I assume I'll have to apply the grain filler after the die to avoid splotching. Is this correct? If so, does that mean I'll be using the sand and sealer after both the grain filler and the dye, directly before the clear coat?

If all of that is correct, will I want to use the sand and sealer on the maple top, which will not need grain filler, before or after the water based dye is applied?

Edit: Also, when they say to sand with the grain, that means the length of the guitar (from the strap button to the neck joint), right?

Last edited by mnbaseball91 : 03-30-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:24 PM   #34
dave293
‪‪‪

^^yep
Old 03-30-2005, 09:56 PM   #35
HopePoisoned
UG's Rack Head

or as your one that line, here's another finish to consider:

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/...rtno=DKMG_Dinky

might be a little "dreary" or off what you're looking for, but it's kind of similar to the finish you first wanted and it doesn't look like hard candy

cheers

and PS i thought the original finish you picked out was wicked, i think it would look better than transparent blue IMO - it doesn't rly look like hardcandy or a lollipop IMO

Last edited by HopePoisoned : 03-30-2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:07 PM   #36
mnbaseball91
The Dude

^I actually really like that Jackson, but I'm trying to get away from the hard rock/metal look for this one so my next one can be an all-out metal machine (I'm thinking neck-thru, RG shape, and a FR Speedloader). Anyway....

I haven't officially ruled anything out yet, but a single color top would deffinatly be easier to do and it'd cost me less. I guess I'll wait and see how the wood looks.

Anyone else have opinions on the finish?

PS, the guitar would look something like this PRS except that it'll have the ebony fretboard, the RGA shape, chrome hardware, flame top - not quilted, and I'm thinking deffinatly use a darker shade of blue.

Old 04-09-2005, 08:36 AM   #37
mnbaseball91
The Dude

Bump, but only because I'm afraid this is going to get completely lost before my stuff comes - and that wouldn't be good.

Comments are still welcome.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:46 AM   #38
SlipAway
Shiggidy Shwhat?

This should look awesome when it's done. Can't wait to see some pictures..
Oscar Shmidt OE-30 w/ Bigsby
Ibanez V70cent Electric Acoustic
Carlo Robelli CW4110 Acoustic

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Boss DD-3
Boss PH-3
Old 04-09-2005, 08:07 PM   #39
mnbaseball91
The Dude

Can't wait to have something to take pics of!

Old 04-09-2005, 08:14 PM   #40
SlipAway
Shiggidy Shwhat?

^^
Lol..I hear ya man...but hey..the longer it takes to finish (or get the parts), the more you'll appreciate it when it's done...
Oscar Shmidt OE-30 w/ Bigsby
Ibanez V70cent Electric Acoustic
Carlo Robelli CW4110 Acoustic

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Boss DD-3
Boss PH-3

Rate This Thread: