Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-10-2005, 02:03 AM   #41
Mascot
UG Addict

I liked the green and blue finish.

Oh well, your guitar anyways.

As for the SC, I really liked the Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot's the most, but they're a bit more expensive than the Lace's.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:28 AM   #42
mnbaseball91
The Dude

Hah! I forgot to mention that I am back to the blue and green finish. Assuming the mahagony is a nice color, I'll leave the back with a natural finish - just the gloss clearcoat. That'll save me some trouble and the price of the dye.

YES! As I was typing this, I found out Warmoth has shipped the stuff. Should be here soon. Unfortunatly, they use UPS though, so I'll have to pray it gets to me in one piece.

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:40 AM   #43
russiaininvader
Addicted to Chaos

you americans have issues with UPS? also, is this the first batch of stuff you've gotten from stewmac, cause i orderded some and was pretty dissapointed
My Custom Guitar #1(finished work)
My Custom Guitar #2(finished Neckthrough)
My Custom Bass #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusfinch
russiaininvader is an evil genius
Old 04-10-2005, 11:49 AM   #44
mnbaseball91
The Dude

This is my first batch, but it's from Warmoth. And it's not that I have specific issues with UPS, but FedEx always gets stuff to me faster and in better shape.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:44 PM   #45
mnbaseball91
The Dude

Ok, slight problem. I went to order the stuff from Reranch, and every time I try to go and add more to my cart, it gets rid of the stuff that was in it before. Am I doing something wrong or does their site just not work? If I can't figure it out, I'll have to call in the order.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:54 AM   #46
mnbaseball91
The Dude

The stuff from Warmoth is on the truck as I type!

I bought some car paint to use for my name on the headstock, but I can't figure out what's in it (doesn't say on the package). Will it stay on alright even though I'm not clearcoating the neck?

Old 04-11-2005, 11:04 AM   #47
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

^ if its just on teh headstock it wont see much wear at all, so youre probably alright.

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:12 PM   #48
mnbaseball91
The Dude

It's here and everything's gorgeous. The back will deffinatly be left natural, top will deffinatly be the original color scheme. I'll hopefully have some pictures up tomorrow or the next day, although they may well be low quality. I promise the glam shots of the finished project will be nice and clear though - you 56kers are going to hate me.

Old 04-12-2005, 06:52 PM   #49
mnbaseball91
The Dude

How many ounces of nitro laquer should I expect to need?

Pictures didn't come out well. If I have a few moments, I'll try to upload them anyway.

Old 04-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #50
Mascot
UG Addict

Upload!

I'm excited.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:40 PM   #51
mnbaseball91
The Dude

I went ahead and ordered the finishing stuff from stemac since I couldn't get through to reranch. It was more expensive, but they had some polishing stuff that reranch didn't have anyway. I went ahead and bought four 13-ounce cans of laquer just to be safe (stewmac suggested 4-6, but I'm not doing the neck).

I don't have time to do the pictures tonight anyway, so tomorrow or thursday I'll try to get some real pictures up. How does 6 megapixle sound to everyone?

Old 04-21-2005, 03:50 PM   #52
mnbaseball91
The Dude

I appologize again for the lack of pictures. I'll likely have a bunch up at once, but I don't know when I'll be able to.

I have the neck ready to screen print my name onto using silver paint. It should look cool. There are some grain lines in the headstock so I'll spray it with a couple coats of sanding sealer first.

I stained the top of the body black and I'm about to sand it off. It looks incredable! One QUESTION though: When I sand off the black, I assume I sand with the grain. Does that mean with the actual grain (neck to bridge side) or the flame pattern (bass to treble side)?

Old 04-21-2005, 04:05 PM   #53
AlGeeEater
Luthier

Quote:
Originally posted by mnbaseball91
I appologize again for the lack of pictures. I'll likely have a bunch up at once, but I don't know when I'll be able to.

I have the neck ready to screen print my name onto using silver paint. It should look cool. There are some grain lines in the headstock so I'll spray it with a couple coats of sanding sealer first.

I stained the top of the body black and I'm about to sand it off. It looks incredable! One QUESTION though: When I sand off the black, I assume I sand with the grain. Does that mean with the actual grain (neck to bridge side) or the flame pattern (bass to treble side)?

No, sand against the grain(neck to bridge).Screen Print? Whats that? Never heard of it, and its usually done with trans. film paper.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Old 04-21-2005, 04:05 PM   #54
acdc101
pft

I would think you would sand with the flame side to side, but if you are using very fine grit sand paper, I wouldn't think it would matter.
Originally Posted by saintjimmy99
thank you kindly. now feel free to put a quote from me in your sig that says whatever you like.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:39 PM   #55
mnbaseball91
The Dude

I'm using 220. I'll check up on which direction to sand. If anyone disagrees with AlGeeEater, you've got about three minutes to tell me.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:40 PM   #56
mnbaseball91
The Dude

Just a progress update:

The front is stained, it's truly awesome. The back has been grainfilled. I deliberatly bought dark grain filler and it looks really cool. I was able to clean up the binding line with some careful sanding and that looks great too.

I tried unsuccessfully several times to screen print my name on the headstock. At one point, I had primer all over the neck. Luckily, it came off easily with some laquer thinner. A side effect of the laquer thinner was that it disolved the sanding sealer it touched, meaning I had a big discolored blob on the headstock. Rather than trying to touch it up, I went ahead and sprayed a couple coats of laquer on the headstock (after I had carefully painted my name on in silver paint). It ended up looking better than it started.

Tomorrow the tuners go on, and then I have to wait several days before doing anything else so the body can dry out.

I've been taking pictures as I go along, so at the end of the project I should be able to upload them all.

Old 04-24-2005, 12:47 AM   #57
MetalUpTheAss
Has commitment issues.

Sounds nice... can't wait for pix.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:53 AM   #58
Mascot
UG Addict

Gah. . .pictures now!

Please?

You should put LED's under the pups, so there's like an aura around them.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:25 AM   #59
mnbaseball91
The Dude

^If I was a wiring genious and if I wasn't already several hundred dollars over budget, maybe I would.

Old 04-25-2005, 05:26 PM   #60
mnbaseball91
The Dude

Mascot: I've thought about the LED idea and it's starting to appeal to me. I talked to one of my teachers about it and he drew up a sloppy schematic for me. Even if I was more profficient at reading schematics, I doubt I could make any sense out of it because it's so messy. From what I gather though, I'd need:
a 9 volt battery and connector thing
a 12 ohm resistor (not sure why, but that's what he said)
a string of LEDs that won't get fried at 9 volts
a push-pull pot since I don't have space for another switch.

Can anyone elaborate on how I'd do it? Would I be able to get all the stuff at radioshack?

Rate This Thread: