Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-28-2005, 03:43 PM   #81
mnbaseball91
The Dude

Thanks guys.

Like I've been saying, the laquer has darkened the blue and made the green more vibrant and pronounced. I'm really pleased.

The signature doesn't look at all like I wanted it to look, but it will look fine on stage. It's too late to really do anything to fix it without stripping off the laquer, and I don't think it's bad enough to warrant that. I am disappointed that it didn't work correctly though.

If I had gone with a mahagony neck, I planned on having a flame maple heastock veneer to match the body. It seemed like a waste to get it on the rosewood though, especially because I would have had to pay more. Had I gone that rout, I would have tried my hand at using stick on inlays on the heastock - even more money.

I did end up going with the A2P in the neck, Lace Sensor Gold in the middle, and Super Distortion in the bridge. As you can see, I was able to get the black lace sensor off ebay.

More pictures should be coming as I progress. Keep the comments coming!

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:46 PM   #82
Mascot
UG Addict

Oh, great choices in the pup selections.

I was really looking into the Alnico II's also, since I'm looking for a nice, smooth, jazzy sound thats clean but will have nice overdrive tones.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:00 PM   #83
cliff_em_all

lookinh very, very good mah friend,.

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:28 PM   #84
AlGeeEater
Luthier

Good job. The only thing that displeases me is the burst. It looks akward imo, and doesnt look really blended.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Old 04-29-2005, 08:18 PM   #85
Asocial
Banned

^ yep, i get the same feeling
Old 04-29-2005, 09:51 PM   #86
mnbaseball91
The Dude

Maybe it's just the pictures, because I like it. It certainly looks better now that the laquer is on, but I don't know that the burst is any more gradient. I had tried using those Prevail disposable aerosol cans to spray the dye but they didn't work, so I had no choice other than to rub it on.

Every hand made guitar will have it's quirks, and since this is my first attept at this sort of things, mine will have an uneaven burst and a messy heastock.

Old 04-30-2005, 12:00 AM   #87
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder

and it's a really good 1st attempt. Hand rubbing a burst is really hard to get right. Took me 3 guitars before I got it right, and on all 3 guitars I ended up completely sanding off the color and starting over at least 1 time and is some cases 2 or 3 times. By the time I got to a point where I felt I could do a good burst I decided that I liked some of my screw ups better and that is why I do the coloring backwards now.

If you feel the need to even out the burst you could go back and soften up the lacquer with some lacquer thinner and then put a coat of green dye over the whole thing and then put another couple clear coats over that. Doing a coat or two of color after you have done some clear coating can add a nice deep look to the color.

That said, I still think it looks great. I like the overall look of the thing, and as far as I'm concerned the fact that it doesn't look like a factory job is part of it's appeal.

BTW... I just remembered that you said that it has a rosewood fretboard rather than ebony. They really did do a good job finding you an almost black one, well worth the extra dosh I'd say.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:04 AM   #88
Mascot
UG Addict

Yeah, as Cord said, for your first attempt, it's looking really nice. I don't think the blending is THAT bad, so don't worry too much about it. If you feel like its worth your time to try fixing, go ahead, but its really not that bad. I like it.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:49 AM   #89
AlGeeEater
Luthier

With all that said, i still cant see any blending. Maybe its my eyes, but it looks as if the first green wasnt rubbed out far enough, and that the blue or outer ring color is a tad to big to cover up for the lack of green. It still looks OK, but its not a burst IMO, just a 2 tone
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Old 04-30-2005, 09:21 AM   #90
mnbaseball91
The Dude

I agree with you algeater. You really can't see much of a transition. Despite that, I'm happy.

Thanks for the tip Corderoy. I doubt I'll use it since I'm happy with it the way it is, but it's good to know.

I actually did end up getting an ebony fretboard. I figured that with the jumbo frets, I wouldn't be able to feel the difference anyway. Also, the piece they used has a visable grain; it's not inky black, and I like that. The neck is rosewood though, and I did pay more to get them to use a dark piece, not a red piece.

I should get another few pictures up tomorrow or the next day.

Old 04-30-2005, 09:25 AM   #91
AlGeeEater
Luthier

Quote:
Originally posted by mnbaseball91
I agree with you algeater. You really can't see much of a transition. Despite that, I'm happy.

Thanks for the tip Corderoy. I doubt I'll use it since I'm happy with it the way it is, but it's good to know.

I actually did end up getting an ebony fretboard. I figured that with the jumbo frets, I wouldn't be able to feel the difference anyway. Also, the piece they used has a visable grain; it's not inky black, and I like that. The neck is rosewood though, and I did pay more to get them to use a dark piece, not a red piece.

I should get another few pictures up tomorrow or the next day.

As long as you're happy, that's all that really matters
Old 04-30-2005, 10:38 AM   #92
~hypermonkey~
UG Board King

Yer more pics would be good , looking great so far!!

Looking for people to record sound clips for UG, click here if interested...
Old 04-30-2005, 11:36 AM   #93
HookInMouth
UG Droogie

Ya i'd like to see some more pics, and the burst really isnt that bad. I've seen worse on factory guitars believe it or not. Yours still looks sweet though.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:42 PM   #94
Mascot
UG Addict

In some pictures it looks like theres a burst, and in some, there doesn't.

Any chance you could do a full frontal picture of the guitar in nice lighting?
Old 05-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #95
mnbaseball91
The Dude

I already took one. It'll be up today or tomorrow.

Old 05-01-2005, 06:23 PM   #96
DAn THe MAn 001
UG Board King

Wow!That looks pretty good.The cutaways looks a little thin but maybe its just the pictures.
How long have you been working on this?I just found this thread today,and didn't feel like reading every page.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:11 PM   #97
mnbaseball91
The Dude

^I've only been actually working for a couple weeks. I spent several months planning it and working for the money though.

Old 05-01-2005, 07:23 PM   #98
Mascot
UG Addict

He also spent a while waiting for the parts.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:21 PM   #99
mnbaseball91
The Dude

^Sure did!

I can't figure out exactly how the straplocks work and how they go on. I got the normal schaller ones. Can anyone shed some light on it? I was going to ask my guitar teacher, but he had to cancel.

I've drilled all the screw holes except the ones for the straplocks. They came out pretty good - one is crooked, but it shouldn't be a problem. I also shielded the control cavity.

I have to get to home depot at some point for screws. The ones that came with the mounting rings aren't quite long enough because I'm putting the chrome rings on as well.

More pictures will be up tonight. If only it didn't take so damn long to upload them to photobucket!

Old 05-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #100
mnbaseball91
The Dude

Let it be known that photobucket works about three times as fast when you upload directly from your hardrive instead of from a disk!

These are from about a week ago:

Rate This Thread: