Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-10-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
brandonbray2002
guitarguy

every made a weird sound????

i love the idea of taking somthing non musical and using it for music. tom morrello and eddie vanhalen have almost perfected this technique. so heres the question im posting....

have you ever stumbled on something strange and used it on your instrament to make a unique sound???

ive got a few, but heres one to get the ball rolling

take a guitar and amp, crank the gain and turn up the volume, now mute all the strings at about the 20th frett or so, now take the remote from your tv and place it over one of your pickups, but dont push down on the strings!!!

push the bottons on the remote and move the remote around the pickups!!! this can create some very original sounds!!!!

also try all the buttons on the remote, some buttons will make different noises!!!

Last edited by brandonbray2002 : 04-10-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
bangoodcharlote
Fractal

Pickscrapes with a whammy pedal=fun but very silly.

"Melodic Control" by Marty Friedman: A video on soloing
A Great Theory Lesson

A Harmonizing Lesson
The Correct Way To Play The Gallop

~Sue
Old 04-10-2005, 08:45 PM   #3
utsapp89
Banned

Dunno if this counts, but if you put almost dead batteries in a flanger pedal, it sounds like a sitar.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:47 PM   #4
wicked_angel
Accept your Fate.

If you take your cell phone and put it on top of your head for your amp when it rings make this cool beeping noise (might just be that my amp sucks)
"I'm pre-blown dude, it's like pre-heat, you know, how you set it up to blow, im already pre-blown, so im already hooked up, does that make no sense? of course it don't. Dimebonic's baby"-Dimebag Darrell
"Nazi Gangsta Jew"
Old 04-10-2005, 08:48 PM   #5
GuitarN00b
UG's Ninja Guitarist

Quote:
Originally posted by wicked_angel
If you take your cell phone and put it on top of your head for your amp when it rings make this cool beeping noise (might just be that my amp sucks)

that happens w/ any speakers

Listen to me play my guitar at PureVolume: The Solo Project
Old 04-10-2005, 08:49 PM   #6
JelloPuppet
dinosaurus

i turned everything up except for my lows i turned all the way down and i turned my boss turbo distortion on and i lefft it there i got this horrible feedback but then it sounded like a toy gun from starwars going liek cha-cha-cha-cha-cha, it was pretty damn cool
Old 04-10-2005, 09:09 PM   #7
WindJammer
Banned

There's the old magnet on the pickups.

EDIT: Also tuning strings to create melodies.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:09 PM   #8
self-made_page
LAN'd

cash register.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:10 PM   #9
brandonbray2002
guitarguy

those are awsome!!!!

heres another for ya

take a small motor out of some thing( electric toothbrush small toy car any small motor that runs on a small dc battery)
ive fount that a cheap electric tooth brush works good, ya have to do some modds on the toothbrush, but who cares!! so take this little motor and turn it on, youl notice that the shaft spins really fast, now take this and put it on a string!!!! its almost like a strange ebow effect!!! frett a few notes but keep the motor in contact with the strings, do some slides and hammer ons, its a cool effect for just a few bucks. also try this with different effects, hours of fun for 5 bucks!!!
Old 04-10-2005, 09:22 PM   #10
Captain Colon
Banned

Location: Hiding in your closet with a cactus and a big jar of lube. You're getting very sleepy...
Buy a ring modulator.

I like taking out the whammy bar and running it up and down the strings...very cool sound.

Anyone ever try yelling into their pickups? I never play loud enough to tell if it's working, but I've seen it done on Vai's Live at The Astoria DVD
Old 04-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #11
brandonbray2002
guitarguy

have you ever heard the beginning of stps dead and bloated??? the oppining vocal is sung through a les paul pick up!!!! very cool effect!!!!
Old 04-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #12
brandonbray2002
guitarguy

kim thayal(spelling) from soundgarden would blow on his strings to make a strange breezey sound!!
Old 04-10-2005, 09:36 PM   #13
groll01
You am i and i are great

Sometimes i play slide with my athsma puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
Old 04-10-2005, 09:38 PM   #14
brandonbray2002
guitarguy

nice!!!if ya cant beat it, puff it??
Old 04-10-2005, 10:10 PM   #15
mnbaseball91
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by brandonbray2002
have you ever heard the beginning of stps dead and bloated??? the oppining vocal is sung through a les paul pick up!!!! very cool effect!!!!

Scott must have forgoten his megaphones that day!

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:45 AM   #16
casualty01
Here all along

pffft, the "remote control" ... that's sooooooooooo "first week discovery"

anyways... I'm all about new and weird sounds, and since I've been trying everything under the sun for almost a decade now, I have many unique sounds that I've never encountered, and no one I know has ever done them or encountered them.

for one, take a cd player/discman (CD player best for studio recording and the discman is best for live situations.... obviously) put a disc in and let the disc player "load" it. you know the quick spins and the quiet zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz you hear? yeah well, pick ups love that lol.... just hover it over your pickups and let the magic ensue. of course, it's best used with some delay and modulation. volume swells don't hurt either.

another unique thing I have (as far as I know, I'm the only one to do this) is to take a self ocillating effect, hook it up to a mini dano practice amp (about the size of a boss pedal) turn the amps volume to about 3 and the drive to 10 (or whatever, I just find the nastiest to be 10) and let it oscillate.... tweaking the parameters until you find your sweet spot (of course if you're live, you better already have your sweet spost marked, unless you want to just improvise the noise.... which is A-OK in my ook lol) .... then position the BACK of the mini-amp over the strings/pickups and swell the volume on your guitar (via your volume knob or your volume pedal) and damn.... some sweet as soundscape type sounds begin to eminate.

another that I thoroughly enjoy (which is yet another thing that, as far as I'm aware, is uniquely mine) which only works if you have a floating trem... (well, not entirely, but if it's not floating, it's gonna be one out of tune guitar afterwards lol) ... find a magnet... one that will span the width of the strings. turn on your amp.... use whatever normal setting you enjoy. don't play the strings, just dive the trem with the left or right hand doesn't really matter. then, keeping it dived, with all the strings nice and floppy... pick up the magnet with your other hand... hover the magnet close enough to the strings so that they (the strings) jump towards and connect with the magnet. this alone creates some awesome white noise to mess with. alternate between that and pulling the magnet away so that the strings detatch and fall back to the body.... smacking against the pickups and causeing more vibrations. all through this process, try maniuplating the depth of your trem bar (by this i mean, release it some, push it back down, release it more, etc.... try different levels of pressure you're applying to lessen and increase string tension to produce different pitches) ..... with this you can get quite the orchestral sound of different pitches and even create "noise melodies" .... throw on some effects and you've got yourself some sounds you've never heard...

and of course, my favorite.... and my signature trick (no one else does this, I can garauntee lol) I have 3 WhammyII's that I loop together. in which case, I can harmonize harmonies (i.e. play a note which gets harmonized as a 5th, then gets pumped through the next one and each note of that 5th, gets harmonized as a 3rd) pitch shifting of harmonies (playing a note, it gets harmonized and then I shift it an octave) harmonizing of a shifted note (exact opposite of the last.... the shifted note gets run through the harmonizer effect) and of course, combos of those run through the third pedal .... harmonies of a harmonized harmony, shifting of a harmonized harmony, shifting of a shifted note thats been shifted, shifting of a shifted not thats been harmonized, harmony of a shifted note thats been shifted... etc..etc..etc.. there's about 5 more combos. not to mention the detune effect.

so lets say you get 3 whammy's together. you loop em... set the first one to 1 octave up, the 2nd one to 5th up and the 3rd one to b3rd up. you play a G on the 12th fret on the G string. that goes through the first, pumped up an octave, that signal goes through the 2nd one, which now gets harmonized by a 5th (so now you have G and D) those 2 notes go through the last one which harmonizes up a b3rd from each of those 2 notes... which now gives you G Bb D F (Gm7) .... up one octave higher than you would have ever been able to play it on the guitar

and this is just the basic shit you can do with that little demon loop.... through in my ebow and some delay. well, wow.

well, there ya go.... steal if you must, but remember where they came from

Cas-

Don't be an idiot... click and find out.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:55 AM   #17
Captain Colon
Banned

Location: Hiding in your closet with a cactus and a big jar of lube. You're getting very sleepy...
I wish I had as much money as cas
Old 04-11-2005, 07:37 AM   #18
Alucard II
In Spheres of Madness

Quote:
Originally posted by casualty01
I have 3 WhammyII's
MOTHER****ER!!
Old 04-11-2005, 09:03 AM   #19
quinny1089

Ive tried the shouting into my pickup, i mute the strings, turn my amp(line 6 spider 212) all the way up and i can just talk into them and it comes through on my amp, i always mess around with the delay and flange and other effects like that on it.

Another interesting sound ive found is by using the edge of a plectrum like youd use a slide, and it produces a sound similar to that of a carribean steel drum.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:05 AM   #20
Captain Colon
Banned

Rate This Thread: