Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-24-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
sosxradar

Question How to know whether my used guitar is good quality or a trash?

Hello fella

I got a used guitar but it's a custom made so it's has no name to search on the internet.
But I wondering if it was a good guitar or what.
So I would make a list of Question and hope someone kindly answer it. (You don't need to answer all if you tired )

1. How do I know the quality and the type of wood used in my guitar? The fretboard is dark and the back is white.

2. It's a used guitar but the neck part was just as a new wood that cut down yesterday and only the metal part are rusted.

3. .....Well, How do I know if it good or bad :/
sosxradar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Umm... post pictures? It's hard to tell wood type just looking at it though, especially if it has a solid color finish, that's information the seller should know if it's "custom".

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 POD HD500
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
TheStig1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #3
sosxradar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig1214
Umm... post pictures? It's hard to tell wood type just looking at it though, especially if it has a solid color finish, that's information the seller should know if it's "custom".

Here's some photo I've taken with my phone.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

It looks like a cheap strat copy. A pretty good strat copy as far as aesthetics are concerned, but still a cheap strat copy.

What's the name on the headstock there? And can we see more shots of the body?

I can already tell the tuners are cheap, the frets are pretty small and cheap fretwire. Also I don't know what you mean when you say the neck wood is new but the metal parts are rusted. It would make no sense to put old hardware on a new neck.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 POD HD500
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Old 01-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
sosxradar

Quote:
It looks like a cheap strat copy. A pretty good strat copy as far as aesthetics are concerned, but still a cheap strat copy.

I can already tell the tuners are cheap, the frets are pretty small and cheap fretwire. Also I don't know what you mean when you say the neck wood is new but the metal parts are rusted. It would make no sense to put old hardware on a new neck.

If I know that it's bad guitar then I should pick the other one called Aria Pro II from japan .... It's japanese recycle product, what to expect
Old 01-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
rickyj
Unregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosxradar
If I know that it's bad guitar then I should pick the other one called Aria Pro II from japan .... It's japanese recycle product, what to expect

buy something from a big guitar company like fender, ibanez, gibson, etc. basically anything from a small company that make cheap guitars will be crap.

spend at least 300 US if you want something that isn't completely terrible, i you're just starting you can spend a bit less though.
rickyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #7
PSimonR
PSR

The action is ridiculously high. Probably needs the neck shimming to fix. This is possible to do yourself which is good as it would cost more for a tech to do it than the guitar is worth.

Aria Pro II is a respected cheap/mid price guitar, not a copy of anything. I don't no what you mean by recycle product. They are not copies of anything.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/
PSimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:28 PM   #8
sosxradar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
The action is ridiculously high. Probably needs the neck shimming to fix. This is possible to do yourself which is good as it would cost more for a tech to do it than the guitar is worth.

How much does it cost if I let someone else fix it? 100$ or more? I know the action is high but I'm afraid to touch the guitar so I left it like that.

Aria Pro II is a respected cheap/mid price guitar, not a copy of anything. I don't no what you mean by recycle product. They are not copies of anything.

By recycle mean a recycle shop which they sold only a used quality product from Japan. They have drum, Ps3, 3000$ Yamaha which cost only 500$ in that shop and other stuff that Japanese people stop using.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:29 PM   #9
sosxradar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyj
buy something from a big guitar company like fender, ibanez, gibson, etc. basically anything from a small company that make cheap guitars will be crap.

spend at least 300 US if you want something that isn't completely terrible, i you're just starting you can spend a bit less though.

I will get Gibson Les Paul once I graduated but not now. So the question still remain.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:36 PM   #10
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

If your budget is low and you want a Les Paul sound the Ibanez FR or Artist series is good. The Schecter Solo 6.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 POD HD500
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Old 01-25-2015, 05:32 AM   #11
Tony Done

It looks OK from what you can see, but if I got the chance of an Aria Pro II, I would be looking at that a lot more closely.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:30 AM   #12
DuffB
Duffy

Location: Rural North Central Pennsylvania mountains by the bank of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River
Quote:

Stig, what I think he means by "new wood" with the neck is that the wood looks clean and clear - like a maple neck, not painted. I don't think the guy knows all of our guitar nomenclature yet, he is just trying to communicate by trying to be as descriptive as he can be, from his perspective. Obviously he is a little confused and turning to us for direction. Your observations about the cheap tuners, small frets, etc., are the type of stuff that he needs to know. I think those comments helped him.

He needs some direction in order to pick out a decent inexpensive guitar.

I would advise him to get nothing less than an Epiphone Les Paul Studio if he wants to get a Les Paul. I don't know if he can get an Agile where he is at but maybe checking out rondomusic.com would give him a chance to get an Agile AL2xxx or AL3xxx. They are good quality, highly inexpensive guitars.

Hang in there dude. Keep looking until you find exactly what you want - you will know it when you find it. Don't listen to much to the salesmen that may be pushing certain make guitars or have other personal interests.

The guitar you have may or may not be okay for use at your level. You can probably do better. Live and learn.

Last edited by DuffB : 01-25-2015 at 06:33 AM.
DuffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #13
sosxradar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffB
Stig, what I think he means by "new wood" with the neck is that the wood looks clean and clear - like a maple neck, not painted. I don't think the guy knows all of our guitar nomenclature yet, he is just trying to communicate by trying to be as descriptive as he can be, from his perspective. Obviously he is a little confused and turning to us for direction. Your observations about the cheap tuners, small frets, etc., are the type of stuff that he needs to know. I think those comments helped him.

He needs some direction in order to pick out a decent inexpensive guitar.

I would advise him to get nothing less than an Epiphone Les Paul Studio if he wants to get a Les Paul. I don't know if he can get an Agile where he is at but maybe checking out rondomusic.com would give him a chance to get an Agile AL2xxx or AL3xxx. They are good quality, highly inexpensive guitars.

Hang in there dude. Keep looking until you find exactly what you want - you will know it when you find it. Don't listen to much to the salesmen that may be pushing certain make guitars or have other personal interests.

The guitar you have may or may not be okay for use at your level. You can probably do better. Live and learn.

Look like this is not a good guitar but It's ok since I'm just a beginner. Anyway, Is it true that some used Gibson les paul price only 250- 500$? I go to guitar shop and he give me a close look at gibson but 250$ used gibson. His shop sell only a used guitar and he got fender mexico, fender japan, fender strat... I mean every used Guitar from other country but the price not even close 1000$. Is it possible that brand Guitar sell for low price?
Old 01-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #14
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosxradar
Look like this is not a good guitar but It's ok since I'm just a beginner. Anyway, Is it true that some used Gibson les paul price only 250- 500$? I go to guitar shop and he give me a close look at gibson but 250$ used gibson. His shop sell only a used guitar and he got fender mexico, fender japan, fender strat... I mean every used Guitar from other country but the price not even close 1000$. Is it possible that brand Guitar sell for low price?

Some recent Gibsons sold new under $1000, but you'd be hard pressed to find any of those used under $500 I'd say. They aren't fantastic guitars anyway.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Line 6 POD HD500
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Old 01-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #15
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

Checkout the Agile AL's at rondomusic if you want a Les Paul. Agile makes some damn fine players at very good prices.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:47 AM   #16
Treyvius

dude, some of these posts are ridiculous. First of all, if the guitar feels and sounds okay to you it's good. It's at least good enough. Second for $250 USD you aren't getting a Gibson. You are going to get a cheap ass knockoff worth about $80. Are you trying to sell this guitar you posted? Yes....it ain't worth shit. No? Play it unless the frets cut your hand.

You don't need to look into other makes and models, or spend more money. Play it, or if it is so shit you cannot play it, burn it.

The only the other posts got on point were that yes, it's a strat knockoff. That is not a 'custom' guitar unless the maker wanted to make a $400-500 custom guitar.
Treyvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #17
nathan:-)
'Straya

For $250 USD you will never be able to buy a Gibson LP. Used Epiphones definitely. A used LP Standard will definitely be over a grand.
Regarding your current guitar, if you're a beginner just play it and see how you go. Don't get too deep into what gear you should get early on as it's a sure fire way to waste a lot of money. The action does look very high but have a look at some YouTube videos on 'how to set the action on a guitar' and see if you can improve it yourself. It'll probably be fine after a half decent setup.
nathan:-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #18
JustRooster
Organ Donor

sosxradar. Just take the thing to a tech and have them set it up. I bet it's not near as bad as folks are saying it is, it probably just needs a setup. You're the only one in this thread that's had your hands on it, so you're the only one that actually knows it's quality. No one can tell feel from the internet, no matter how hard some try to seem like they do.
Love is blind, and probably missing a few other sense, too.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #19
sosxradar

You guys so mean. I actually fix the action and this guitar's sound was briliant except that the tone knob is broken and I you guys have no Idea on what I'm talking about. This guitar come along with other Japan brand guitar include Fender ( Its body scratched alot so I pick this one instead ) and I was insecure about the wood and someone reply me with s*** cmt.
I do know how to pick a guitar before I want to buy once. And I already know the action was too high due to a neck angle but that's not a question I really want to ask.... jeeze
Old 01-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #20
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Was that english?
Love is blind, and probably missing a few other sense, too.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: