Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
ebmusicman16

Which 7 string should I buy?

Hi UG,

I've been looking at getting a 7 string guitar for a while and I've whittled it down to the Schecter Damien Elite-7 (LH). However I don't know whether to go for a the one with the Floyd Rose Special or just the TOM bridge. For other people that play 7 strings do you (if you have one) use the whammy bar a lot or not so much and if you don't have one do you wish you had one?

They are the same price either way but I don't really know if it's worth having a Floyd on a 7 string and I've no idea how good this Floyd is. Also, does anyone have any experience with the EMG 81-7/85-7 at all and are they any good? I wanted active because I did think about changing them out for SD Blackouts.
Ibanez RG370DXL w/SD Invaders and a hot rail
Tanglewood acoustic
Marshall JVM410H
+a lot of pedals!
ebmusicman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
Fryderyczek
F*uck yo tube amp!

The FR Special is actually decent. Much better than the licensed ones.
Will you use a Floyd? Ask yourself that question. If you will, get a floyd version, if you won't, then get the TOM one.
Fly on, fly on
Fryderyczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
'DC fan
how did I get here

The TOM version will probably be fairly cheaper, it's preference really, if you'll use the Floyd then it's worth getting, if you won't, then get the TOM version otherwise having a Floyd and not using it will just complicate things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
'DC fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Carrot
UG's only carrot

Take into account string/tuning changes too. Will you keep it in one tuning or swap often?

'13 PRS Custom 24 SE IG rolling mills
07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
14 Fender strat HH

Engl Powerball
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
SilverSpurs616
AKA VypyrVai

I'm not a heavy trem user but my 7-string has one (Ibanez RG1527) and most of the time I forget it's even there. It stays in tune for weeks, even months, and if I decide to use it then I just pop the bar in.

If you have absolutely no intention of using a trem however, I'd go for a hardtail model. Think about it- a good trem can add up to 200 to a guitar's price, and that's a lot of money for something you might not use.

Ibanez RG1527 - Dimarzio Air Norton/Evo 7
Ibanez RG1XXV - Liquifire/Crunch Lab
Elixir Strings - Dunlop Petrucci Jazz picks

www.youtube.com/user/VypyrVai
SilverSpurs616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
TheLiberation

I'd say if you don't feel like you need/want a trem, it's probably better to go hardtail. A trem complicates things generally, so I don't think there's a point getting one if it isn't really worth it for you.

And EMGs tend to be very love and hate from what I've seen, I think it's best to try them out yourself, they're kind of... unique (generally bright and very loud but also insanely tight to the point of what some people would probably call "sterile") - whether it's good or bad depends on you. They're like the most extreme case of active pickups, Blackouts are more "in between".
TheLiberation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
dspellman

If you don't need a Floyd Rose and aren't already using one extensively now, don't bother.

While they do a great job of keeping the guitar in tune, a bend on one string will often flat all the others during the bend. They also inhibit switching between alternate tunings (unless you have a Variax, but Variax isn't doing 7's this week).

Don't make assumptions about pickups on guitars you haven't played yet. Most especially, don't make assumptions based on Internet Consensus. And still don't make assumptions about them until you've played them through a few different amps. My personal experience is that there are guitars that have soulmates in specific amps. Your Mileage May Vary.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #8
ebmusicman16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
If you don't need a Floyd Rose and aren't already using one extensively now, don't bother.

While they do a great job of keeping the guitar in tune, a bend on one string will often flat all the others during the bend. They also inhibit switching between alternate tunings (unless you have a Variax, but Variax isn't doing 7's this week).

Don't make assumptions about pickups on guitars you haven't played yet. Most especially, don't make assumptions based on Internet Consensus. And still don't make assumptions about them until you've played them through a few different amps. My personal experience is that there are guitars that have soulmates in specific amps. Your Mileage May Vary.

I have a Whammy DT so I use that for drop tunings so tuning isn't too much of an issue. I've used the 81/85 set on a six string and thought that was good. I know a lot of people use the 707's though, I don't really get to do shootouts between lots of different guitars on different amps because I'm left handed and guitar stores that stock them aren't very close to where I live and most of the time have one amp set up for playing on.
Tanglewood acoustic
Marshall JVM410H
+a lot of pedals!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:42 PM   #9
metalmingee

I'm guessing you don't have another Floyd equipped guitar and it sounds like you're curious. I'd say buy one. That's what I did. I didn't have one, found a great deal on one (that's my Kelly) and bought it. The tuning stability is awesome. It's also cool to learn how to set it up.

Will YOU use the Floyd? Obviously none of us can answer that. If you want it buy it. If you end up not liking it then sell it. . .

You can always change pickups out. I have no experience with them, but when it comes to changes I read most folks changing out the 707 for the 81-7.
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)

Amps:
Peavey 5150 212 Combo with V30s
Randall RG100SC (original, not the G2 or G3) - For Sale
Peavey Vypyr 30
metalmingee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #10
ebmusicman16

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmingee
I'm guessing you don't have another Floyd equipped guitar and it sounds like you're curious. I'd say buy one. That's what I did. I didn't have one, found a great deal on one (that's my Kelly) and bought it. The tuning stability is awesome. It's also cool to learn how to set it up.

Will YOU use the Floyd? Obviously none of us can answer that. If you want it buy it. If you end up not liking it then sell it. . .

You can always change pickups out. I have no experience with them, but when it comes to changes I read most folks changing out the 707 for the 81-7.

I've got a Syn Custom-S with a Floyd and a cheap Ibanez with one of the Ibanez floating trems so I'm familiar with them, I was just trying to gauge whether people thought floating trems on 7 strings were a bit of a gimmick rather than useful.
Tanglewood acoustic
Marshall JVM410H
+a lot of pedals!
Old 03-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #11
Carrot
UG's only carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmusicman16
I've got a Syn Custom-S with a Floyd and a cheap Ibanez with one of the Ibanez floating trems so I'm familiar with them, I was just trying to gauge whether people thought floating trems on 7 strings were a bit of a gimmick rather than useful.

Will you imagine using your trem for the 7th string, or just for the higher strings?
Id stick with the TOM version rather than the floyd version personally.

'13 PRS Custom 24 SE IG rolling mills
07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
14 Fender strat HH

Engl Powerball
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
Fryderyczek
F*uck yo tube amp!

If you want to use the Floyd but you want to retune it then there's this great tip I heard from dspellman here.
Just get yourself some post-it notes and stick them in the cavity between the floyd and the body and retune all you like.
Fly on, fly on
Fryderyczek is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: