Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-16-2015, 12:48 AM   #1
xocarek

What is a good price to put on this custom built guitar?

25.5 scale
Alder body
Maple neck, rosewood fretboard 22 frets
Locking tuners, hardtail bridge
3 way switch
2 volume, 2 tones
Bridge humbucker Railhammer H90 Gnarly90
Neck humbucker I switched from that picture to a GF140 GFS Gold Foil Humbucker Black

I also want to change the headstock to match the body better, and change the knobs to squares. So take that into consideration too.

So if I were to make more, what do you think a good price would be?
xocarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:18 AM   #2
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Well, your instincts are correct- you REALLY do need to change that headstock to match the body. And I like the Reilhammer.

In the USA, most of the custom builders I know of have a base price for their work between $1200-1900- lower than is typically for makers in the UK, Continental Europe, or Japan.

But putting a price on this is impossible without examining it in person- there's no other way to gauge the workmanship.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 02-16-2015 at 01:20 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:19 AM   #3
Dnouw

Shit looks like a toy.
Dnouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:06 AM   #4
jpnyc
Banned

At least $4,000. Don’t sell this as a custom guitar. Sell this as a one-of-a-kind piece of art by a brilliant young luthier. Just remember to hire a great photography to make it look expensive.

And in case anybody thinks I’m kidding, check out the ridiculous prices for some of the hideous shit on this site: http://rebel-guitars.com/guitars/
jpnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:03 AM   #5
vivekjha25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnyc
At least $4,000. Don’t sell this as a custom guitar. Sell this as a one-of-a-kind piece of art by a brilliant young luthier. Just remember to hire a great photography to make it look expensive.

And in case anybody thinks I’m kidding, check out the ridiculous prices for some of the hideous shit on this site: http://rebel-guitars.com/guitars/

Hahaha that is some seriously hideous stuff....maybe they are "rebels without a cause" ?

Okay, customary lame joke done,

I am not a fan of jagged edges on guitars, usually ends up making them a little uncomfortable to play...but this looks good ...
But its a guitar...so can't say much more till I play it
vivekjha25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
dspellman

Honestly, I probably wouldn't buy that guitar; it's not my taste.

Aside from that, it's got cheap pickups in an odd configuration (most folks would put the P90 at the neck), it's got a very basic opaque paint job on a plank body, the pickup selection switch is in an odd place (you have a reason for this?) and the neck is cheap and very ordinary. There's nothing about the guitar that suggests quality or workmanship; it mostly looks like someone was bored while standing near a bandsaw.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

To be fair, at $99 each, RailHammers- while not exactly high-end like TV Jones, etc.- are not exactly cheap.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #8
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
To be fair, at $99 each, RailHammers- while not exactly high-end like TV Jones, etc.- are not exactly cheap.

Good point. I just noticed the GFS.
I'd still be thinking the RailHammer would be better placed in the neck position.

And in a completely off-topic moment, I have to wonder what makes a P90 worth $100.
I've got (now) several different sets of P90's to listen to.
I've got an original Gibson '49, several mid-50's Gibsons, a set of Kinman Noiseless, a set of whatever comes in a $200 Agile LP-alike and a pair of Mike Reilander hand-wound Alnico II versions. Obviously the Agile whatevers cost about a buck each to manufacture (if you buy a spare for $25 you're paying mostly for at least two layers of profit-taking and a 6500 mile shipping trip and some packaging). Honestly, if you listen to all of them hypercritically, you can hear minor differences, but all are pretty damned good and pretty similar.

I haven't listened to a RailHammer, but if I were buying a P90, I'd want it to sound like the batch I have. I've heard the underwound versions, emasculated by an attempt to reduce noise. And I've heard at least one other batch of noiseless, also suffering from a lack of balls. I've listened to Fralins and Loars and SDs. Honestly, I think that if you follow the basic formula for a P90, you're good, and you can put three of them on a $109 guitar. It takes a custom winder to screw them up.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #9
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Well, I definitely agree with you about the positioning of the RailHammer- in a mixed HB/P90 array, the P90 usually works best in the neck position. That positioning quirk does raise flags, doesn't it?

As for that RailHammer pickup in particular, it is helpful to remember that it was designed with 3 things in mind:

1) As a HB-sized P90, it is meant to fit in a HB slot, and that design goal will necessarily alter its tone somewhat from a traditional P90

2) It is intentionally made to be hotter than most P90s.

3) The hybrid blade/pole design was meant to deliver tonal characteristics that will appeal to down tuners.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 02-16-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #10
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnouw
Shit looks like a toy.

Thb, it does look rather cheap. No offense.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #11
demonhellcat

Curious... is the neck built from scratch as in raw wood you cut and shaped, cut fretboard, installed frets, etc... or is it just a neck you bought or stole from another guitar? I'm assuming the body is from scratch, never seen a shape like that for sale.

What I'm getting at is that if it's a bunch of parts put together, add up the value of the parts and then reduce that by 1/3 to 1/2 for a sale price. If it is truly hand built it's down to the workmanship and details... unfortunately that body shape isn't going to help, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Digitech RP500
Blackstar HT5R
demonhellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ +1

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #13
xocarek

I appreciate the feedback

Ok, the body design is done by hand. The neck I got from ebay.

So ignoring the neck, what about it makes it look cheap? What would make it better?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2015, 09:47 PM   #14
paul.housley.7

This is making me nervous about my own project. Tough love.

#1. finish the guitar before you ask questions like this. You know the headstock is wrong.

As for the design. It seems to me that you took a strat shape and just eliminated all the curves. The angular look works fine for a lot of people but I don't know what to think about an angular strat. The flying V has a purpose, and other angular designs are likewise inspired by an idea that is more fundamental than "strat".
I think the word I'm looking for is "derivative". This is too obviously derivative of a strat.

I like the opaque paint and the 50/50 split. There's a pretty cool idea trapped in there and I'm sure I sound more critical than I actually feel.
paul.housley.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:20 PM   #15
jpnyc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xocarek
Ok, the body design is done by hand. The neck I got from ebay.

Nononono. You still aren’t getting it. This design is the result of your international collaboration with a master luthier and practitioner of Vietnamese Buddhism.
jpnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:39 PM   #16
Robbgnarly

Yeah put a different headstock on it and I'd rock that thing. It is very Howard the Duck/ Max Hedrom style.

Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 02-16-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:00 AM   #17
gregs1020
Hi mom!

that headstock does not go with that body.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:07 AM   #18
Vampire_State
Bloodsucker

It's a Pikachu with a deformed ear, you idiots.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:46 AM   #19
xocarek

Yeah it is based on a strat. The paint scheme goes around the sides and back too.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:55 AM   #20
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Good commitment to the design.

Rate This Thread: