Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
sk8ordie97
Doesn't skate anymore

pickup selector isue

So I was messing around on my SG and noticed that the pickup selector was flopping around and not wanting to click into place or even stay in the middle. Took the back off and noticed that the little black piece that caps the back end of the switch itself had fallen off so I popped it back on. Now the pickup selector isn't loose and floppy but it still won't properly click into place. I'm not fully familiar with the mechanics of these parts but I can feel a slight magnetic tug when it's in the neck or bridge position, but it's nowhere near enough to keep it in place.

Any suggestions would be great, other than buying a new one because I'm ridiculously broke right now
sk8ordie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
dthmtl3

I doubt that a new switch would cost THAT much.
dthmtl3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

Judging by what you are saying it seems like you may need a new switch. Probably $10 or so. Soldering will be faster than the time it takes to heat up the iron, should be pretty quick and painless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
...We already knew from the rest of the sentence that you really don't know what you're talking about.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #4
sk8ordie97
Doesn't skate anymore

I couldn't afford a soda right now let alone $10
Old 07-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
21GunSalute

Sorry about that but if you're that broke, it's hard to help you. A repair job for exactly $0..maybe get some ideas from Macgyver?
21GunSalute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:49 PM   #6
sk8ordie97
Doesn't skate anymore

that's why I'm trying to figure out a way to fix it. It seems like a simple problem that shouldn't be a big deal
Old 07-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
slapsymcdougal
UG Bored King

Are you getting an output?
Old 07-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #8
dthmtl3

You can get them for less than a buck on ebay. Until you have that, just tolerate the issue. The guitar is playable, isn't it? These switches aren't exactly made to be repairable.

Last edited by dthmtl3 : 07-30-2015 at 07:23 PM.
dthmtl3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:23 PM   #9
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthmtl3
You can get them for less than a buck on ebay. Until you have that, just tolerate the issue. The guitar is playable, isn't it? These switches aren't exactly made to be repairable.

I don't see any proper ones for a dollar, allparts have some for around $10. Gibson for $20 (which is stupid high).

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
...We already knew from the rest of the sentence that you really don't know what you're talking about.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:39 PM   #10
Evilnine
Diabolus in Musica

US

You can get a Switchcraft for $15 -$20 on Amazon, if you could mow someone's lawn or something a bit pricey but worth it.

Check your local music store most of them have a junk drawer full of bits and pieces like that, sometimes you can grab a decent toggle for a buck or two.
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:15 PM   #11
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8ordie97
I couldn't afford a soda right now let alone $10

shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send you a 3way switch you can have if you really can not afford one.
Here is one for $1.61 free shipping. I have used these types many times and they work just fine
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-Way-G...=item2ee30c6bd9
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 07-31-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:38 PM   #12
Blademaster2

I have fixed switches like that when the metal contacts relax a bit over time and long-term use (tip: when you are not playing the guitar, keep the switch in the middle position to relax the tension on these).

What I have done in the past, usually with success, is to bend the contacts back toward the middle (using pliers sometimes, and I have even dismantled the switch to make these bends on the contacts even more pronounced). This will increase their preload force against the central (common)contact, and it also has the side benefit of sometimes eliminating the rattling that the lever can have in the middle position. In fact, I have done exactly that repair specifically to eliminate rattling even if the contacts were not intermittent.

If the plastic 'pusher' is worn and rounded on the edges it will not tend to remain in a switched 'non-middle' position and can slip back. I have never tried to fix this particular problem, but possibly there is something you can use to replace this piece (reshaping it flat again at the end will not likely work because it will reduce its length and prevent it from operating correctly).

It is worth a try before spending money on a new switch.
Blademaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: