Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-25-2015, 01:57 AM   #1
arielcastillo27

How do I use my amp?

I am totally new to electric guitars and almost completely new to guitars in general. I just bought a Peavey Vypyr vip. The bloody manual CD will not operate.
I am a little overwhelmed by all the settings. I have a really basic understanding of how they work but I really want to get a specific sound.

I own that guitar. I really want to be able to sound as close to that as possible. I know that it wont sound the same using a cheap amp but I want to at least try to get close. How do I go about it?
arielcastillo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:26 AM   #2
dthmtl3

You can always download the manual from peavey.com under 'support' - 'manuals'.
dthmtl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:45 AM   #3
arielcastillo27

I got that but there really was basically nothing in the manual. Just a really quick diagram of what the buttons are. I think there might be more in the CD. Plus I think there was software in it
Old 01-25-2015, 02:51 AM   #4
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

No matter what you dial in, you're not gonna break it. Just spend a couple hours screwing around with everything, you'll get the hang of it.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:52 AM   #5
dthmtl3

Yes, there's software too. But I think you may be able to download it as well from the site.

There's lots of demo videos on youtube on the Vypyrs that show how to get a variety of sound.

Anyways, congrats on your amp. Which one did you get? I'm getting a Vypyr VIP 2 soon. Looking forward to tinkering with it.
dthmtl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:09 AM   #6
paul.housley.7

Set that bitch to "Twin" on the green channel. Turn the gain down. Then add a reverb effect.

See what tone you get. Then experiment within that basic framework.
Select different pickup settings and play around with the bass and treble controls. Try gradually adding gain. Try other effect settings. Try temolo, vibrato, chorus, delay, etc...
I'm trying to help simplify things for you.

I like the Vypyr but the guy in the Video was playing a Super-Champ XD. The only way you're going to get an exact Fender clean tone is if you had a Fender amp. You can get pretty close though.

It's easy to waste time chasing tone. Find a tone that you like and save the settings. Then find another. Go forth and experiment.
paul.housley.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:49 AM   #7
arielcastillo27

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.housley.7
Set that bitch to "Twin" on the green channel. Turn the gain down. Then add a reverb effect.

See what tone you get. Then experiment within that basic framework.
Select different pickup settings and play around with the bass and treble controls. Try gradually adding gain. Try other effect settings. Try temolo, vibrato, chorus, delay, etc...
I'm trying to help simplify things for you.

I like the Vypyr but the guy in the Video was playing a Super-Champ XD. The only way you're going to get an exact Fender clean tone is if you had a Fender amp. You can get pretty close though.

It's easy to waste time chasing tone. Find a tone that you like and save the settings. Then find another. Go forth and experiment.

Im not too obsessed over it. I knew I wasnt gonna get an exact fit anyway. I just really liked the way he sounded. Thanks for the basic framework though. I really have no idea how amp stuff works.

Also, I got the VIP 1. Tight Budget.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #8
jpnyc

This is why Iíve sold every modeling amp Iíve owned and gone back to analog gear.

Rate This Thread: