Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-10-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
LazyGuitar
Caramelised

Not Getting Enough Replies? + Rules on BUMPING!

Ok, there are 2 main issues here in R&R at the moment.

1) Threads Getting Little/No Replies

Now... if you're one of these people DO THIS:
  1. Go to someone else's thread (preferably someone else in your situation of having little replies)
  2. GIVE THEM A CRITIQUE!! Listen to their song, pick out areas they were good, areas they can improve. Make it detailed if you want a good crit back... "it was good" is NOT a critique and has little worth. It's not hard to give a bit of detailed feedback as you listen... anything from tonal aspects to general melody, solos, vocals etc. Say HOW they can improve too.
  3. THEN provide a link to your song thread for a "return of critique". It's about giving in order to receive... a simple but effective concept. Don't expect crit if you don't give any... it's not fair and it's not right.

Be a part of the community and help others and they will help you in return!

2) Bumping of Threads

"Bumping" is posting in your own thread in order to send it back to the top of the forum. This is a BIG NO-NO. NEVER bump your thread unless someone has a) Asked you a question or b) you want to debate a comment or have something of merit to add.

This means NO:
  • "Thank you" posts - Yes it's courteous, but it's not fair on other people who do not do the same. If you want to thank them properly, critique one of their songs (especially if someone has provided a link). This is the best thanks you can give. Or PM them! Just do NOT bump your thread.
  • Blatant Bumps - Your "anymore comments?" type posts... this is spam and against the rules set down in the FAQ. You want more crits? CRIT SOMEONE ELSE!

People breaking these rules will be warned. We know every method of bumping, and some are more sneaky than others... those found to be doing so will be automatically warned.

If you see someone bumping their thread in this manner, REPORT IT using the report option beneath their post. Help us out and it'll help you guys in the long run.

If you're in the mood for some critting, go to those you know crit others as well as going to newbies and introduce them to the system by critting them. If you notice people that don't crit others, don't crit them... it's a sort of boycott against those not contributing.

Just be fair to the community and they will be fair to you

Last edited by LazyGuitar : 05-11-2005 at 06:33 PM.
LazyGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

I like these rules. Thats what i do when im going down, and its always nice to hear someone elses new stuff.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:07 PM   #3
LazyGuitar
Caramelised

Btw, i'm leaving this open for a lil' bit just to get comments/opinions/suggestions and the like from you guys
Old 05-10-2005, 06:10 PM   #4
priest.fan.
UG Monkey

well, would saying "thank you" but also asking another user another question be ok, or would the person just pm them?
priest.fan. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
I am citizen
Bull**** management staff

hey what do u mean by bumping ur thread....is it like umm posting again in ur own thread or starting a new thread to thank everyone....sorry i never really payed attention to the lingo and stuff in here so yea if i sound like an idiot its cause i am.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:13 PM   #6
LazyGuitar
Caramelised

^ Bumping is posting in your own thread... yeah, making a new thread is obviously not allowed lol, but bumping is posting in your own thread in order to send it back to the top of the forum.

priest.fan - As I said, if it's something worthwhile and relevant... e.g. defending your work, or if you honestly don't understand what someone means etc then fair enough... and you can say thanks in there. But if it's just a "thanks, anymore?" comment, then go crit and send a PM

EDIT:
Maybe a naughty & nice list could be made... similar to that of "who to listen to" in Musician Talk? List those that never crit others, and those that always do... in addition to the crit exchange system of course. I dunno, probably wouldn't work with the amount of people that come through R&R on a casual basis... just throwing ideas around.

Last edited by LazyGuitar : 05-10-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:36 AM   #7
guano wape
"Rawr!"

great idea, the whole crit mine i will crit yours, with link etc could work very well, and after a while people dont need to leave links and stuff.
this is very good for the community.

and i think a 'who to, and who not to, listen to thread will be not neccesary, you just get a black list, and the people that are on the good list will being noticed automaticly without that list i think.

dunno how it works in the musiciann talk forum tough

Member of Original recordings Group, PM freepower
Claymen.dmusic.com
guano wape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:34 PM   #8
~King_Of_Foolz~
Cynical for life

these are good rules i reackon.. and as far as the naughty and nice list go, i'd have to say yeah.. too many people that come in casually and besides.. the list for naughty people would be too long... hehe... anyhow this is just about wha i do anyways.. i come into the forum... start from the bottom and look for people with 0 replies...and work my way to the top.. freepower has something the sort worked out too.. so yah.. but ..a few more popel doing it would help as well..

In Need Of Therapy - My Music

Member Of ORG
~King_Of_Foolz~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:38 PM   #9
LazyGuitar
Caramelised

^ If you're posting in people's threads that have 0 replies, especially newbies, link them to this thread saying if they want more replies then have a read of it. That's what i've been doing today... as well as closing a couple of blatant bumpers (which I hate doing in this forum).

It's quite simple though... you want your thread bumped, you crit someone else so they crit you.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #10
Freepower

I dont like the naughty and nice list, but im all for the rest.

KoF, you deserve a medal for what you've done. Great job!
Old 05-11-2005, 06:26 PM   #11
LazyGuitar
Caramelised

Yeah, it's much appreciated by many i'm sure KoF

As for naughty/nice list, no, it wasn't a good idea... but I was just throwing them around
Old 05-12-2005, 01:17 AM   #12
~King_Of_Foolz~
Cynical for life

aww cmon freepower.. your do the rounds too.. i dont deserve it any more that you do.. and i'm liking the link to this thread idea.. i'm just about to try it out... and lazy don't close the particular thread just yet.. you'll see what i mean..

Member Of ORG
Old 05-12-2005, 03:21 PM   #13
Freepower

Thanks man, but i still think you do the most!

I was just searching for a bump a while ago (what? i feel proud of my most recent work and the noobs here dont know me!) and i discovered a talented guy called fig, with 0 crits. Sad that talented noobs are ignored in such a way, i think incaboy suffered the same thing, i checked out his thread, and really liked his music.

There are a lot of people just post a link and ask for comments though, it can be offputting when theres just a line of MSN-style talk and then a link. Perhaps a thread on advice for posters? Wait, this one is!

Perhaps you could edit these onto the first post after a while -

Rule 1) If you're new, first impressions will be the only impressions if you write a line of bad spelling and stick a link on it - give people a song description, short story behind it, something... Let them know WHY they want to listen to your song, if you cant find a reason, then thats probably a sign you arent putting out very good material. In short, present your work well.
This includes :
a) Good thread title - genre, type of song (solo, full band, jam?)
b) Spelling and grammar - no1 wnts 2 listen to a mroon hoo cnt spell.
c) Short description in the thread

Finally, if you arent known, get known, put out good music, give good intelligent crits, and you become known as a good player whos an intelligent person and a nice guy. Whether you are or not , that'll lead to more listens, and more crits!
Old 05-12-2005, 06:03 PM   #14
LazyGuitar
Caramelised

^ That's all in the FAQ (which took me an age)... i'm not going to reproduce the entire FAQ cos people are too lazy to read it. If they don't follow the FAQ guidelines and the tips in this thread already, and don't get replies, then I don't have much sympathy for them.

You point out "fig" right? Yes, he hasn't posted much, but he's been around these forums long enough... he's posted 2 songs today, but I don't remember seeing any crits he's posted. Yes, he may be talented and ignored, but if it's crit for crit then at the moment he's on level terms... 0 We can't do anymore for people like that than encourage them to join in. This isn't about making sure everyone gets crits, it's about making sure everyone gets a FAIR share of crits. If someone gives none (knowing the system - as I said before, link them to this thread), I don't care if they get none personally.

Incaboy on the other hand was going around giving crits, but got a few back and may get more when people read his crits.

Last edited by LazyGuitar : 05-12-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:22 PM   #15
Freepower

fair nuff!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:35 AM   #16
LazyGuitar
Caramelised

^ If it's worthless, report it. If it has point then don't.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:09 PM   #17
~King_Of_Foolz~
Cynical for life

I'm starting to notice more people blatantly bumping their threads now that this thread is up.. talk about crazy.... you must be getting mighty furstrated lazyguitar..

Member Of ORG
Old 05-14-2005, 07:38 AM   #18
LazyGuitar
Caramelised

Not really, I just close them. They're the ones that should be getting frustrated.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:54 AM   #19
ColdFrontAttack
Fast.Forward.to.the.End

my only problem with it is that sometimes people are on slower computers, or maybe a public computer so they can't listen to other songs, as this is the case with me about half the time, so they might not be able to crit everyone's that they'd like to
Old 05-21-2005, 09:56 AM   #20
LazyGuitar
Caramelised

That's still no excuse for bumping your thread.

Rate This Thread: