Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-28-2005, 05:48 AM   #21
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Ah, that guy was just feeling a bit crazy, i think. I have a funny feeling we just annoyed the hell out of him and he commited thread suicide by bump.

On another note, what do we do if we see "That was great - heres mine! *LINK*!"

Is it to be reported, or just told that hes a douche?
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 11:51 AM   #22
beatallica_fan
UG fluffly club member #5

please dont report for silly things like that, ok its not within the rules but its not so serious it needs emails sending to the three of us immediately to deal with. if you see someone persistently doing it id rather you pm me, outside of that we'll just deal with it as and when we come across it.
Member #5 of UGs fluffly club, and proud of it

Our mission - to be warmer and fuzzier than any other club

http://beatallica.dmusic.com/
beatallica_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 12:03 PM   #23
Freepower

Nah, i thought it was a bit mild for reporting, most people get told that their "crit" isnt worth a reply and then they give a decent one.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:18 PM   #24
~King_Of_Foolz~
Cynical for life

hooo boy.... things are getting heating with this whole topic.. caliente..... ssssssss.... lol anyway.. windjammer's speil about double posters is the truth.. (well as far as cheeseshredder goes, dont remember reading thejoners one) that cheesegrater fellow really wasn't being very accepting of others criticism... his loss..

In Need Of Therapy - My Music

Member Of ORG
~King_Of_Foolz~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #25
spiderman
Ug's Senoir Psycho

Location: I am the King of Extreme and of Misery (well missouri)
so u arent allowed to post in ur own thread after u start it?

what if its a question about what someone said, or something about the track and stuff
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:09 AM   #26
Freepower

Read the rules before questioning them.

NEVER bump your thread unless someone has a) Asked you a question or b) you want to debate a comment or have something of merit to add.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:21 PM   #27
Stratpro2
Banned

they suck
Stratpro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:29 PM   #28
stratproisback
Banned

they still suck
stratproisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 03:32 AM   #29
beatallica_fan
UG fluffly club member #5

Quote:
Originally posted by stratproisback
they still suck

see ya
Member #5 of UGs fluffly club, and proud of it

Our mission - to be warmer and fuzzier than any other club

http://beatallica.dmusic.com/
beatallica_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 01:09 AM   #30
The_Strat_Man
I'm back!

Quote:
Originally posted by beatallica_fan
see ya

I bet you love modding Simon, I can tell.
The_Strat_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:27 AM   #31
rocker_dude_77
UG's only guitarist dude

hey i am with tomslespaul i was wondering why these forums are so strict about threads to??

i have something to add though, what if your thread is practically at the bottom, like on page 7 or something along those lines?

also don't know if this would be a good idea, suppose you could go crit one or two peoples songs, bump your thread and leave a link to where you critted their songs, that seems pretty fair to me...
rocker_dude_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:25 PM   #32
LPStudio
UG's mason

All good ideas. I have a problem though of alot of asses not returning the favor of a crit. Also I love it when I post something it get 30 hits and no replies as well as looking at stats on my sight for hits and notice 2 of those people actually listened. Too bad you couldnt find out who comes in, just reads, and leaves. Why even come in if you not going to listen?
LPStudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:09 AM   #33
freddieAndretti

i like this forum alot. i feel like ive met people.but im still not sure if i understand the rules 100%. DSL is not offered to me for another month, so i try to listen as much as i can but dont end up criting as much sas id like. but i DO post around advice and any helpful suggestions when i can, is this a "black list" act? would you consider it as worthy of return crit'ing as a crit? in my own threads, i get a complimentary crit...i reply with a thank you then add a comment relative to the initial compliment, is this bumping? i dont want to take advantage of the forum and its system, i truly enjoy it and spend tons of time here,but is'nt a forum supposed to be where you go to get your music heard?
freddieAndretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:06 AM   #34
ghettohippygrrl

^ You don't have to critique other people's stuff at all. But it's a good way to get people to crit yours. At the bottom of your crit, leave a link and ask for a favor returned. I always crit people who crit me. You shouldn't just post "thank you" or "anymore comments?" People used to do that constantly and it was annoying and that's why the new rule was put in place. You can feel free to address something that was brought up in someone's crit of your song, respond to questions, ask someone to elaborate on something they said, etc. But bumping for the sole reason of bringing the thread back to the top isn't cool. I don't think you're doing anything that will get you warned, you seem mindful of the rules.

Anyway...

Why not, if someone is a bumper instead of PMing mods or reporting, it could just be posted in this thread? Unless people don't like the idea of doing that publicly. I just thought it would be convenient for mods and posters alike.

Can I also add something? I think Guns For Hire is a great idea that isn't being used to it's potential. The system now has songwriters asking people to work with them. That seems invasive and backwards. I think there should be a new system where someone posts what is essentially a classified ad...

"I'm working on a new song. It's an indie-type song. I'm looking for someone to do vocals. Here's a link to my music page and you can hear the song so far. PM me if you're interested in collaborating."

This way, I think a lot more people will be hooking up. I don't want to pick someone from that long list, especially when they might not even be interested or like my music, etc. If people have musicians contacting them because of their "ad," then they both obviously are interested. I made a post for my song Glimmer and got a few people coming forward, offering to do a solo. Whatd'ya say?!

(I hope the mods read this...)

Last edited by ghettohippygrrl : 10-27-2005 at 02:43 AM.
ghettohippygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:46 AM   #35
LazyGuitar
Caramelised

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettohippygrrl
Why not, if someone is a bumper instead of PMing mods or reporting, it could just be posted in this thread? Unless people don't like the idea of doing that publicly. I just thought it would be convenient for mods and posters alike.

Well I still think reporting is easier... 1) I get an email, and 2) I can deal with it without the whole public blacklisting... I don't really want anyone on some kind of permanent blacklist, since they may do it once, then become a good critter on realising their mistake.

Tbh, i've seen little blatant bumping recently, but there are still the odd cases. Just report them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettohippygrrl
Can I also add something? I think Guns For Hire is a great idea that isn't being used to it's potential. The system now has songwriters asking people to work with them. That seems invasive and backwards. I think there should be a new system where someone posts what is essentially a classified ad...

"I'm working on a new song. It's an indie-type song. I'm looking for someone to do vocals. Here's a link to my music page and you can hear the song so far. PM me if you're interested in collaborating."

This way, I think a lot more people will be hooking up. I don't want to pick someone from that long list, especially when they might not even be interested or like my music, etc. If people have musicians contacting them because of their "ad," then they both obviously are interested. I made a post for my song Glimmer and got a few people coming forward, offering to do a solo. Whatd'ya say?!

I'm in agreement tbh. The Guns for Hire thing is pretty old too, so many of the original posters have probably moved on anyway. A "project based" classified type ad would probably be a more beneficial thread to have.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #36
big crouton

Quick question here: Where does it say in here that you're only allowed to post 2 songs a week? I think it was two days ago now that I posted up a long and well thought out review of 5 or 6 of a guys songs that he had posted. I then checked back yesterday when I saw that the thread was locked and noticed that my whole review (which I had spent a good chunk of time on) had been edited out and replaced with a warning to either me or the threadstarter or both of us.

I guess what I don't understand is why it was such a terrible thing for this guy to be able to actually see my reviews that I spent all that time on, and why it was necessary to edit my post to make it look like I was the one warning the guy instead of one of the moderators here just making another post and locking the thread. I wrote the reviews so the guy could read them and benefit from hearing the opinion of an outsider.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am less than pleased with the way the situation was handled (which probably doesn't really matter to anyone, which I understand and accept) and I think that if you're going to lock a thread and delete a post for breaking the rules, the rules in question should actually be written down somewhere.
big crouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:25 AM   #37
Bill43
I like it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by big crouton
Quick question here: Where does it say in here that you're only allowed to post 2 songs a week? I think it was two days ago now that I posted up a long and well thought out review of 5 or 6 of a guys songs that he had posted. I then checked back yesterday when I saw that the thread was locked and noticed that my whole review (which I had spent a good chunk of time on) had been edited out and replaced with a warning to either me or the threadstarter or both of us.

I guess what I don't understand is why it was such a terrible thing for this guy to be able to actually see my reviews that I spent all that time on, and why it was necessary to edit my post to make it look like I was the one warning the guy instead of one of the moderators here just making another post and locking the thread. I wrote the reviews so the guy could read them and benefit from hearing the opinion of an outsider.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am less than pleased with the way the situation was handled (which probably doesn't really matter to anyone, which I understand and accept) and I think that if you're going to lock a thread and delete a post for breaking the rules, the rules in question should actually be written down somewhere.

They are and you cant see them???

Look at the announcement at the very top of this forum. They even have direct links to each and every specific rule.

Its a shame that you wrote such an inspiring review of that person's songs, but the rules are there for all to read. If someone does not follow the rules, then why should they benefit by someone else's critique of their music. Perhaps the edit of your post makes a little more sense to you now. If it doesn't... oh well... next time you'll know better.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:56 PM   #38
big crouton

Well, I officially declare myself an idiot for having missed the rules at the top. I guess I just though it was the same anouncement that's up elsewhere about 'Ultimate Guitar will stay'. Well, that certainly clears that up.

And I did understand exactly why they edited out my post, but the thing that pisses me off about that is that I spent well over half an hour writing that in hopes that this guy would get to read it and see things he can work on, but that time was officially wasted when the mods edited my post.

It's not that I don't understand why they edited it, but I just don't believe that they should've. I think there's other ways it could've been handled that would've let this guy and others know that you're not supposed to post more than two songs a week, but that wouldn't have wasted the time and thought I put into that post.

However, I realize that there's nothing I can do to change that now, and I'll just make sure that I don't make the same mistake again. There's no sense arguing about this further, so I won't. Sorry if I have come across as whiny here. I just felt a bit ripped off.

That's all I'll say on the matter.
big crouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:16 AM   #39
Bill43
I like it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by big crouton
And I did understand exactly why they edited out my post, but the thing that pisses me off about that is that I spent well over half an hour writing that in hopes that this guy would get to read it and see things he can work on, but that time was officially wasted when the mods edited my post.

It's not that I don't understand why they edited it, but I just don't believe that they should've. I think there's other ways it could've been handled that would've let this guy and others know that you're not supposed to post more than two songs a week, but that wouldn't have wasted the time and thought I put into that post.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but the rules are in place for a reason. The post you wrote could have, very easily, been deleted. Would that change any of your feelings about it? I wouldn't think so.

The people who break the rules are the ones who have to "suffer the consequences". One of the consequences are that any and all replies are either deleted or edited so they get no benefit from anyone or anything. If they were to benefit from your outpouring of knowledge, then why have the rules in the first place?

So... let's say we do away with the rules. Then you'll have prolific writers crowding out the once a week or once a month writer. Their songs will be on the first page while the people with less free time will have their song(s) pushed back to page 2 or 3 of the forum... practically buried by someone else who has nothing but all the time in the world to write and record.

The way things are set up now allows a bit of fair play (and "air play") to the very people who don't have the time to devote to writing a hundred songs a week.

OMG... the system works!
Old 02-14-2006, 07:09 PM   #40
ooblah

eek, i should probably stop saying "good lyrics" and actually trying to critique.. i always feel like an asshole when i do for some reason.
ooblah is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: