Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-19-2005, 05:13 AM   #61
MidnightThunder
UG Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sixteen times
Excellent thread, I can see this being archived.

Hey! I feel important now! I posted something that people actually talked about. WOOOHOOO! Makes a newbie feel good believe it or not.

I love this whole site, everybody is so helpful.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:24 AM   #62
MidnightThunder
UG Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Corwinoid
[B]There's really no need to post 7 times in response to a thread...

are you referring to me???????

I do not know how to do anything else, and since it is bothering you that I am doing this, please feel free to tell me how to do otherwise and how I'm suppose to handle it.

I was under the impression I was doing it right. I did "quote" posts and sent one per person I was answering.....is this against the rules? I am not being rude in anyway nor do I mean any offense, but I am overwhelmed at learning to manuver here as this whole entire posting thing is new to me unlike most of you.....so please correct whatever I am doing wrong.

Are you a moderator? I don't remember who they all are?

I notice in other threads the same people post more than once to keep the messages flowing. Rarely have I seen someone put every single thing in one single post.....unless I am wrong please correct me.

If someone would like me to stop posting, please just say so and I will. I don't know what all of you do that is why I'm here. I made no secret of that. This includes how to use the forums, which I am slowly learning (by making mistakes).
Old 05-19-2005, 05:53 AM   #63
gapster
-.-

Quote:
Originally posted by gpb0216
I'm 52 years old and stopped trying to be "fast" the way you're probably thinking of fast a long time ago. In fact, I concluded that I needed to get out of that unwinnable race after listening to the John McLaughlin / Carlos Santana collaboration "Love, Devotion, Surrender" for the first time 'way back in 1972 or so. That record (who uses that term anymore?) still scares the hell out of me.

1.since when playing guitar is a competition/race ?
2.why did you gave up so fast ?that is not a good reason/excuse to give up on speed

speed is not everything in playing guitar but it is also an important skill ..
Old 05-19-2005, 06:11 AM   #64
heggazz
I Set Fires

You can quote several people in the one post and answer them respectively. Also if you make a mistake you may edit or delete your post by clicking on the edit button at the bottom of your post next to the quote button.
The moderators for Musician Talk's names are at the top of the MT page above all the other online users names and they are in bold.
No one wants you to stop posting altogether, just the excessive posting. When you can cram all you want to say in one post it is better than just posting a lot of times one after the other.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:50 AM   #65
gpb0216
Musician

Quote:
Originally posted by gapster
1.since when playing guitar is a competition/race ?
2.why did you gave up so fast ?that is not a good reason/excuse to give up on speed

speed is not everything in playing guitar but it is also an important skill ..

I knew my reply was going to be misunderstood by some and I hesitated to post it at all, but your questions call for clarification from me and I thank you for them.

1) Early in my guitar-playing life (pre-"Love, Devotion, Surrender") I was consumed with achieving ever-greater playing speed. In fact, all of my guitar-playing peers were likewise focused on one thing only: SPEED! During that time, playing the guitar was a competition for me, and I was in the "hunt", if I do say so myself.

Then, in the early '70s, my best friend (and guitar speed sweepstakes competitor) introduced me to John McLaughlin.

Game over. Thank you for playing.

Nothing I had ever heard had remotely prepared me for the literal torrent of crystal-clear notes pouring out of Dennis' stereo that afternoon. I'm talking about "oh-my-God-why-did-I-ever-think-I-could-play-the-guitar" SPEED! And right then, gapster, I abandoned speed as a way of measuring myself as a guitarist. Always remember this: No matter how fast you can play the guitar (or any other instrument, for that matter), somebody somewhere can play it faster!

So, the short answer to your first question is: At one time playing the guitar was a competitive event for me. It no longer is, and I hope it's not for anyone else reading this post, either.

2) I never once said I had given up on speed. What I did do, however, was lay the quest for speed aside altogether for a few years. Then, while studying at the Armed Forces School of Music (AFSOM) in 1976 I met a true guitar hero in my instructor, MU1 Mike Smith. I'd be amazed if anyone outside the Armed Forces music community has ever heard of Mike, but buddy, he was awesome.

Anyway, Mike introduced me to the 21-Day program I've mentioned several times in this thread. Since that time I've used nothing else.

So let me finish by saying that I do love playing fast. In fact, there's nothing quite like the satisfaction of burning through a beautiful fast solo in front of a crowd, as I'm sure you know. It's just that I don't pursue speed for its own sake anymore. I play plenty fast now, and if I get faster by practicing the way I know and love, then so much the better.

I hope this answers your questions, gapster.

All the best,
gpb
Originally Posted by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.

Last edited by gpb0216 : 05-19-2005 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:22 AM   #66
saddam
Carcass

could someone please answer my question, i really want to know before i start this 21 day thing, i don't want to **** up my muscle memory!
Old 05-19-2005, 11:33 AM   #67
gpb0216
Musician

Quote:
Originally posted by saddam
could someone please answer my question, i really want to know before i start this 21 day thing, i don't want to **** up my muscle memory!

What's your question?
Old 05-19-2005, 11:43 AM   #68
saddam
Carcass

"little question: say you've been playing a solo at 70bpm(the slow practise thing), at what speed should those 'speed bursts' be? 100? 120? 150? 200? 300? 6000? ..." that was my question(i don't know how to do the quote thing...)
Old 05-19-2005, 05:45 PM   #69
gapster
-.-

alright gpb ...

you know sometimes i am just soooo sick of the whole world telling me shredding sucks ,speed sucks ..somebody is always faster ...etc

it is really unfair now you see the world have this concept "you don't need to be good to make good music " ..people who have talents and practise hell alot got rejected by the world..where as cheap ass pop/punk , hip hop..the talking music gets all the money
Old 05-19-2005, 05:51 PM   #70
Corwinoid
UG Monkey

Part of it, gapster, is your wonderful attitude.
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Old 05-19-2005, 07:16 PM   #71
gpb0216
Musician

Quote:
alright gpb ...

you know sometimes i am just soooo sick of the whole world telling me shredding sucks ,speed sucks ..somebody is always faster ...etc

Gapster,

I don't think you could have misunderstood me more totally.

At no time have I ever said that "shredding sucks" or that "speed sucks". I have been playing the guitar for more than 40 years and I know how much work it takes to play truly fast. You have my utmost respect and admiration, and I really mean that.

I did say that "somebody is always faster". That's just reality. I also said that I don't believe anyone should judge their own or anybody else's musicianship by how fast they can play. Please accept my apologies if these statements offend you.

Quote:
it is really unfair now you see the world have this concept "you don't need to be good to make good music " ..people who have talents and practise hell alot got rejected by the world..where as cheap ass pop/punk , hip hop..the talking music gets all the money

And never in my life have I downplayed the search for musical excellence. It is horribly, unfairly true that Britney Spears will outsell Rush every single time, but hey, that's life. Our response should be to take our art to its uttermost limit and enjoy the glow of knowing that we're relentlessly working to be as good as we can possibly be.

(And who knows, maybe we'll get picked up to be in Britney's band).

But seriously, Gapster, I love to hear people play fast. Hell, I love to play fast. It's just that it's not the primary focus of my relationship with my guitar anymore.

All the best,
gpb
Old 05-19-2005, 08:48 PM   #72
E Daws
I play guitar

I just wanted to say that I am impressed by the mature debate going on in this topic, it gives me faith that boards like this are still helpful.
I would buy that program, but I don't have a PC. I am going to go buy one of those books. Probably Effortless Mastery: Liberating the Master Musician. The play slow things makes sense. After all when I learn stuff I play it slowly.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:44 AM   #73
MidnightThunder
UG Member

Quote:
Originally posted by heggazz
You can quote several people in the one post and answer them respectively. Also if you make a mistake you may edit or delete your post by clicking on the edit button at the bottom of your post next to the quote button.
The moderators for Musician Talk's names are at the top of the MT page above all the other online users names and they are in bold.
No one wants you to stop posting altogether, just the excessive posting. When you can cram all you want to say in one post it is better than just posting a lot of times one after the other.

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. I do notice that many people double and triple and even more post in a thread. I don't get why my post are different than theirs other than I did a few (yes splash, 7) in a row.

My question however was is this against the rules or does it just bug a couple people? As I said I'm still learning how to do all this stuff and I treat everybody with respect and try very hard not to critisize anybody because it discourages them. Splash mentioned this mistake in another one of my threads as well, and I just feel that unnessecary but hey, to each their own. I'm just not one to ridicule people for something as minor as the number of posts on a board. That is why we have a scroll button if we don't want to read them. Right? So, is there a rule against it or no? Or where can I read if there is or not on my own?

I will try in the future not to do that so much. When I posted the 7 posts in a row that Splash keeps referring to, I thought that each one would post directly under the person I was commenting to. It wasn't until here brought it up did I realize they were all in a row at the end.

I thought I read somewhere in the rules when I first joined about long and running on posts. That tells me it is better to separate them. Again, I am not offended easily so if you disagree please let me know.

Also, is there a rule on excessive posting? I thought that is what this board was here for?

Lastly, I don't know how to quote several in one post and haven't yet seen one done that way. Again, any help is appreciated.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:50 AM   #74
MidnightThunder
UG Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E Daws

I would buy that program, but I don't have a PC. I am going to go buy one of those books. Probably Effortless Mastery: Liberating the Master Musician. The play slow things makes sense. After all when I learn stuff I play it slowly. [/B]

I just wanted to let you know E Daws, that you may not need to buy that program with the knowledge that I have seen here. There are a few people here that are VERY VERY intelligent about these types of exercises, so you can try what I did and just ask for a more in depth explaination if you need to. GPB is a good one to ask, he knows his stuff. (I hope it's ok I mentioned your name)I may even be able to help you with some of it since I do have the actual program. I would be happy to help. Feel free if you like to know anything in it.

I am happy too with the amount of help I get from this board. These people here are wonderful! Always willing to help even the dumbest of questions, which I post alot of. I am thankful for being here. I checked out a couple other boards and it was like people got their kicks from making others feel bad...I'm not interested in that. There aren't many of those here from what I see so far. The debate here was very mature for the most part, I enjoyed it too!
Old 05-20-2005, 03:03 AM   #75
Balsamo
Writes way too long posts

Location: Siilinjarvi, Finland (To my knowledge the SECOND most dull and uninteresting place on earth)
Quote:
alright gpb ...

No-one has been saying you don't need to have skills, just that there's more to it then JUST speed.

But I have to disagree with you, though I'm not a pop/punk fan.
A simple song can sound way better than a 300bpm. four-hour shredding session IF the writer of it has the skills to make it good, for that you need skills. Guitar, bass, keyboard etc. etc. Isn't mastered just with the techniques, you got to understand the consepts and logics of each note you play, whether there's two or two thousand in the song.

Did I get a bit carried away again?
Old 05-20-2005, 05:58 AM   #76
MidnightThunder
UG Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gpb0216
Gapster,

I don't think you could have misunderstood me more totally.

At no time have I ever said that "shredding sucks" or that "speed sucks". I have been playing the guitar for more than 40 years and I know how much work it takes to play truly fast. You have my utmost respect and admiration, and I really mean that.

But seriously, Gapster, I love to hear people play fast. Hell, I love to play fast. It's just that it's not the primary focus of my relationship with my guitar anymore.

All the best,
gpb

GPB, I wanted to add something to this...hope I'm not out of line here. But from what I see....I have made it no secret that I think you have phenominal musical talent from just hearing what you have to say about the few different aspects of it so far. So, I wanted to ask you about your own playing fast too.....what style of music do you like to play the most? I am basically asking where does your musical passion lye, as far as the style of music go? Did you have a time when playing fast was very important to you? Just curious.

I understand about playing fast not being your focus. The good part is you could do it and get better at it if you chose too by doing just what you taught me. I was just wondering if that maybe why playing fast isn't all that important to you right now?

If you haven't noticed I like to see deep into a passionate musician...I am just curious. Feel free to email me if you would like better to discuss it that way.

Shawna
Old 05-20-2005, 07:48 AM   #77
Ugliest Weenie
*blurry*

I know that this might seem silly, but how do I know at how many bpm im playing at?

..and Ive decided to start doing this 21 day thingy with slow and small speed bursts starting today!
Old 05-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #78
gpb0216
Musician

Quote:
Originally posted by Ugliest Weenie
I know that this might seem silly, but how do I know at how many bpm im playing at?

Ask for a Metronome at your local music store. They'll set you right up.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:35 AM   #79
Ugliest Weenie
*blurry*

I actually got one today, but it doesnt say how many bmp im playing... it just shows q-notes, eight-notes etc... is tempo the bpm?
Old 05-20-2005, 11:53 AM   #80
Corwinoid
UG Monkey

Tempo is the beats per minute, Q = 60 is 1 beat, or one pulse (depending on meter) per second.

Now, if you're playing 16th notes at that tempo, you're playing 4nps.

If you're playing 8th note triplets at 120 you're playing 6nps, etc.

16nps is 16th notes at 240bpm, to give you an idea how fast that is. That's your metronome set to 240, and 4 notes every time it clicks.
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club

Rate This Thread: