Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #81
sixteen times
lightspeed champion

Thought I better not let this thread die, so are there any other good books that you can recommend to help me improve technique?

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Laney VC15
Boss DS-1
Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Last edited by sixteen times : 05-22-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:22 PM   #82
DoGaLoG
Adbot Sympathiser

Quote:
Also, is there a rule on excessive posting? I thought that is what this board was here for?

Tis then technically spam .... which is more than likley against a rule (go have a read through or something) And the board definatly doesnt exist to be spammed lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiff-upper-lip
DoGaLog, i think youv jst owned everyone on this thread and well done.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:40 AM   #83
ILoveHarmonics
BLURP

Corwinoid said:
Quote:
Say your arch to clear a string with your ring finger lifts it about a half inch over the action of the string you're clearing... doesn't seem like a lot. But think about this, if you can focus on reducing the amount of motion you make normally, and bring that down to about a quarter of an inch, you've MORE than halved the amount of effort that motion takes.

About the most usefull tip I came across yet.
I knew that allready but never focussed on it enough so thanks for pointing out the importance of it. I found it helpfull to focus on it when I'm losing discipline and start noodling around (I shouldn't do that but sometimes I do that anyway). I used to have bad days while playing. Just like the strings were twice as thick. Now I realise it was due to the fact that when I'm concentrated I keep my fingers lower wich gives me more stamina and higher speed. A lot of work to do for me to refine the things I thought I played right. Not a bad thing because I was looking for new ways to improve my overal playing.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:34 PM   #84
MidnightThunder
UG Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DoGaLoG
Tis then technically spam .... which is more than likley against a rule (go have a read through or something) And the board definatly doesnt exist to be spammed lol

These posts are far from spam, but thank you for your input. I'm asking questions and getting answers, that's what I'm suppose to be doing. I don't spam. But then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Cor....the finger arching is definitley something I need to work on as well. Just to back your theory, the program I have focus on the point you made about reducing the amount of motions you have to make to increase speed as well.

Last edited by MidnightThunder : 05-26-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:05 PM   #85
sixteen times
lightspeed champion

Finger arching is a problem for me too, and isn't something that can be cured over-night, or so it would seem.

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Laney VC15
Boss DS-1
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Old 05-26-2005, 02:12 PM   #86
Ugliest Weenie
*blurry*

finger whatta?
whats finger arching?

btw... my last exam in school is tomorrow, and after that iŽll begin with my guitar schedule that lasts forever!!! (well almost)
Im really psyched about it, but a lil bit worried that im not going to be dedicated enough...
wthat the hell am i saying??!!?? ofcourse ill dedicate 500%!!!!

Last edited by Ugliest Weenie : 05-26-2005 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:34 PM   #87
Bubonic Chronic
Your bucket 'o love

I'm a fan of pushing yourself in new directions, playing maybe triplets all the way up a scale, then doing a strange arpeggio at the end. Here's an example of mine:

Here I reverse the direction of the triplets on every string and throw an odd deviation from the pattern in at the end. Conclusion? Difficult pattern + break from the pattern means you're forcing your brain to not only control the motor movement of your hands, but to think at that speed as well. You're learning to establish a pattern and, more importantly, break from it in a flawless stream of notes.

Old 05-26-2005, 03:43 PM   #88
Corwinoid
UG Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by sixteen times
Finger arching is a problem for me too, and isn't something that can be cured over-night, or so it would seem.

Scale practice, chromatic runs, and petrucci's horrible right hand warm up excersizes off rock discipline, work wonders for focusing on left hand movements.

Like we've been saying, just slow everything down and focus on what you're doing.
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Old 05-28-2005, 07:02 AM   #89
sixteen times
lightspeed champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Corwinoid
and petrucci's horrible right hand warm up excersizes off rock discipline

Care to explain?

Quote:
Like we've been saying, just slow everything down and focus on what you're doing.

You got it!

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Laney VC15
Boss DS-1
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Old 05-28-2005, 07:03 AM   #90
Corwinoid
UG Monkey

^ He's just got these annoying right hand warm up excersizes with alternate picking and string skipping... I feel violated every time I play them for not economy picking

Old 06-01-2005, 04:49 AM   #91
sixteen times
lightspeed champion

Thanks.

*heads off to bedroom, plugs in guitar, turns metronome on 60bpm, plays*

*tick....tick...tick...tick..*

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Laney VC15
Boss DS-1
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Old 06-01-2005, 07:40 AM   #92
Ugliest Weenie
*blurry*

Quote:
Tempo is the beats per minute, Q = 60 is 1 beat, or one pulse (depending on meter) per second.

Now, if you're playing 16th notes at that tempo, you're playing 4nps.

If you're playing 8th note triplets at 120 you're playing 6nps, etc.

16nps is 16th notes at 240bpm, to give you an idea how fast that is. That's your metronome set to 240, and 4 notes every time it clicks.

so is there a formula how to count the nps? so that i can select any tempo and an type of note and know how many nps im playing at myself..
Old 06-01-2005, 07:49 AM   #93
Corwinoid
UG Monkey

Tempo/60 * Notes/beat

ie. 16th notes would be 4 notes per beat, at 120 = 120/60 (2) * 4 = 8nps

Old 06-02-2005, 05:07 AM   #94
ILoveHarmonics
BLURP

I hope this is not considered spam, but I just want to point something out that truly amazes me. Muscle memory seems to be a really implicit kind of memory because it seems to be able to play things correct after practise without being consiouse of it. The thing that amazes me is the fact that the muscle memory can adjust to different situations in a few seconds. When I play the electric for a while and learn some new things on it and than switch to the acoustic it's often easy to apply what you learn on strings close together on those strings of the acoustic without much thinking. Not much information in this post, but it just interests me that muscle memory seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes . Maybe it recognizes the broader neck. Same thing applies for playing sitting and standing up. Well I'm glad it does.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:17 AM   #95
gpb0216
Musician

Quote:
Originally posted by ILoveHarmonics
Muscle memory seems to be a really implicit kind of memory because it seems to be able to play things correct after practise without being consiouse of it. The thing that amazes me is the fact that the muscle memory can adjust to different situations in a few seconds.

...it just interests me that muscle memory seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes . Maybe it recognizes the broader neck. Same thing applies for playing sitting and standing up. Well I'm glad it does.

The phenomenon called "muscle memory" in this post is, in fact, the supremely amazing work of the subconscious mind. This most miraculous of all miracles remembers everthing you've ever experienced through any of your senses. Nothing escapes its attention. It causes you to recreate what you practice correctly with absolute accuracy. It also causes you to recreate what you practice incorrectly with absolute accuracy. This explains why we must excercise great care and patience when teaching ourselves to play with speed on the guitar (or any other aspect of playing, for that matter).

Train your subconscious carefully and well and watch in awe what it will do through your "muscle memory".
Originally Posted by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.

Last edited by gpb0216 : 06-02-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:51 PM   #96
ILoveHarmonics
BLURP

I'm a psychology student so that's a bit why I like to think about it more deeply. I was wondering how slow it is nescecary to practice btw. If I can play something kinda fast soon without any mistakes (a 3 string arpeggio with pull-off in this case ) that should be alright to practise I think. It's just about not falling in the trap and thinking "when I play this fast I play that one note wrong so let's play it a 100 times more this way untill it doesn't go wrong anymore." That would really screw up the muscle memory although it seems like common sense at first.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:14 PM   #97
gpb0216
Musician

Quote:
Originally posted by ILoveHarmonics
I'm a psychology student so that's a bit why I like to think about it more deeply. I was wondering how slow it is nescecary to practice btw.

This thread, "Speed Building", has discussed this very issue quite deeply and thoroughly since May 14. If you fast-forwarded to the end to enter your post, I suggest you go back to the top and read each post very carefully. There are some genuine nuggets waiting for you in this thread.

Quote:
If I can play something kinda fast soon without any mistakes (a 3 string arpeggio with pull-off in this case) that should be alright to practise I think. It's just about not falling in the trap and thinking "when I play this fast I play that one note wrong so let's play it a 100 times more this way untill it doesn't go wrong anymore." That would really screw up the muscle memory although it seems like common sense at first.

This, in my opinion, is the #1 mistake players of any instrument make. Mastery requires an almost superhuman level of patience, and patience is the very last thing we want to invest in our practice time. I am a firm believer in practicing only as fast as I can play perfectly and no faster, period. Perfect practice produces perfect speed.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:12 PM   #98
MidnightThunder
UG Member

Just a quick update on how I'm doing with the speed builder program.....

So far, I am learning alot from that and here. Also, I am in complete agreement with gpb on the practicing only at the speed you can play perfectly. My exercises in the program focus on that but the take you a few bpm (beats per minute) over what you can do with a speed graph built for you and your playing ability. You raise it as you improve. The part that takes you over what you can do is very short and then start back down the scale to the beats you can play perfectly. Believe it or not, even slower. It is really helping me in many areas of playing other than speed.

Hope everyone else is doing well too.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:18 PM   #99
gpb0216
Musician

Thank you so much for the update, MidnightThunder. Has anybody else out there been working with M.T.'s program, the 21-day process or something like them? If so, please let us know how your playing speed is changing.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:18 AM   #100
ILoveHarmonics
BLURP

I read the previous posts in here and this thread is really interesting. But I think the amount of slowness you need depends on how hard the thing you practise really is. If you can play it perfectly at 40 bpm but also on 60 bpm without making any mistakes it's still ok I think and 60 bpm will allowe more repetitions in the given practise time. But you need to be 100% sure you actually DO play it perfectly of course. Another question is: When do you know you can speed up the playing? Sometimes 21 days might be to long but sometimes 21 days might be not enough. I already lost faith in the increasing 10 bpm thing because 10 bpm can be a hell of an increase when you reach the 16th or 32th notes in a music part. Going from 120 bpm to 130 bpm with quarter notes seems ok, but going from 30 bpm to 40 with 16th notes seems like a bad thing to me. Oh and BTW I am doing the 21 days thing although I forgot to count the days. I can't tell if I increased on speed yet of course, but everyday I feel more confident in playing it wich is enough motivation for me to keep playing it slow for the moment.

Last edited by ILoveHarmonics : 06-03-2005 at 03:20 AM.

Rate This Thread: