Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #12621
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

So after missing out on two years of Roger Waters' Wall tour I'm finally going to a show, the second to last of this year's tour. I have an 18th row seat, which even at face value was worth an unreasonable amount of money, but I don't think I could be any more excited.
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
BrainDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #12622
griffin888

Hmm, I don't know if I can pick a favorite Pink Floyd album, but my favorite song is Echoes. Such a masterpiece. True pioneers of progressive music.
cause you feel an urge to get some wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
it could turn the wangcaster into a bass.
griffin888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #12623
eGraham
¬cool

I haven't been to a Waters concernt and I'm burned out on The Wall lol. When was the last time he had an original tour with new content? I feel like he's beating "The Wall" into its grave by doing it over and over again.

He's a great writer. I just wish he'd write more.
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:10 AM   #12624
griffin888

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
I haven't been to a Waters concernt and I'm burned out on The Wall lol. When was the last time he had an original tour with new content? I feel like he's beating "The Wall" into its grave by doing it over and over again.

He's a great writer. I just wish he'd write more.

He's in his late 60s, he doesn't have many tours left. It seems The Wall has always been to him the most meaningful and personal thing he has done in music. I don't blame him for wanting to use technology that's available now to put on the greatest show he can. Listen to him talk about it, he still has so much pride in The Wall. It really is a great show. Plus he's Roger Waters. He can do whatever he wants.
cause you feel an urge to get some wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
it could turn the wangcaster into a bass.
griffin888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #12625
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:
I feel like he's beating "The Wall" into its grave by doing it over and over again.
Go see the show and then tell me if you feel the same way.

It was incredible, and almost too much to take in at once. I really got the feeling that this is the kind of spectacle Waters wanted back in 1980-81 but couldn't quite execute to the fullest extent because the technology wasn't up to par. Well, now it is and he's put together quite a concert experience. The sound was amazingly well balanced and clear, especially for an outdoor ballpark show. The band sounded great, as they should after nearly 200 shows, and I was actually surprised at how good Waters sounded vocally at 68 years old. As cliche as it may sound, the highlight of the show was far and away Comfortably Numb. Seeing Robbie Wyckoff and Dave Kilminster on top of the Wall for the choruses/guitar solos was overwhelming.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #12626
Thefallofman
Lesh Is More

Glad you finally got to see The Wall, Matt! It really is a complete sensory overload.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #12627
eGraham
¬cool

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I'm not a fan of his tour. I would still like to see it, but I'd also like to see Waters come up with some more stuff. As I said, he's a good writer, and I really respect him--but it gets harder to with each year of The Wall. That's just my personal opinion.

And I get that he has pride in it. Understandably so, it is a masterpeice of the 20th century. Again, I just wish he'd put his talents elsewhere. The last 'contemporary' album he made was in 1992 (this excludes "In The Flesh" aka The Wall, "Flickering Flame" which only has a couple new-material songs, and Ca Ira, which is like an orchestral thing). 20 years is a long time for a man of such talent to go without anything new. I wouldn't be surprised if he came out with an album sometime in the near future.

.... Or maybe I would be surprised.

Edit: For comparison, Gilmour's last album was released in 2006. He went on tour, did his thing, made a live album (Live in Gdansk). Now he's done. And I sincerely hope that he is working on new material.

Last edited by eGraham : 07-16-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #12628
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I'm not a fan of his tour. I would still like to see it, but I'd also like to see Waters come up with some more stuff. As I said, he's a good writer, and I really respect him--but it gets harder to with each year of The Wall. That's just my personal opinion.

And I get that he has pride in it. Understandably so, it is a masterpeice of the 20th century. Again, I just wish he'd put his talents elsewhere. The last 'contemporary' album he made was in 1992 (this excludes "In The Flesh" aka The Wall, "Flickering Flame" which only has a couple new-material songs, and Ca Ira, which is like an orchestral thing). 20 years is a long time for a man of such talent to go without anything new. I wouldn't be surprised if he came out with an album sometime in the near future.

.... Or maybe I would be surprised.
Fair enough. I'm just happy that Waters is keeping busy. Honestly I think I'd rather see the five+ years of touring and no album then a new album and a few months of touring. That said, Roger says he's written new songs and will start working on them with the hopes of putting together an album once this leg of the Wall tour is over (next Saturday, July 21).

Quote:
And I sincerely hope that he is working on new material.
I heard a rumor that he will be releasing an album and touring behind it late this year/early next year.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #12629
eGraham
¬cool

^ I hope you're right! I've not heard anything of the sort, but the news, even if it's a rumor, is very welcome to me. I'm an enormous Gilmour fan.

I'd buy the album immediately from either of them, should they decide to release more.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #12630
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

^^Yeah, I'll regret not going to one of Gilmour's 2006 shows for the rest of my life, so a tour would be excellent news. A new album would be nice too

By the way, here are my friend's videos from the Wall show on Saturday (he had the seat directly to my right):
In The Flesh?
Another Brick Pt. 1/Happiest Days/Another Brick Pt. 2
The Ballad of Jean Charles de Menezes
Mother
Another Brick Pt. 3/Last Few Bricks/Goodbye Cruel World
Hey You
Bring The Boys Back Home/Comfortably Numb
The Show Must Go On/In The Flesh
Run Like Hell/Waiting For The Worms
Stop/The Trial
Outside The Wall
Thanks/Band Intros/Outside The Wall (reprise)
Old 07-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #12631
eGraham
¬cool

I just hope that if he tours he comes to the US. I wouldn't mine travelling to Europe, but my wallet would

Also, here's something I saw that relates to the previous discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gilmour
"I have no interest in going on a tour to make money without making new product, new art," he said. "So just going out and replaying our old hits again on a tour does not appeal to me at all."

edit: Do you have a link or source for the potential new Gilmour album? I've been Googling for a long time, but it's usually 6 or 7 year old articles about 'On an Island,' or fake ticket websites selling seats to an imaginary concert.

Last edited by eGraham : 07-19-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #12632
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

This is where I read it. Yeah, it's not exactly a credible source and the quote on the second page from A Fleeting Glimpse makes it seem like it's a false lead, but stranger things have happened.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #12633
turncoat60%
Errday i'm Russellin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDamage
^^Yeah, I'll regret not going to one of Gilmour's 2006 shows for the rest of my life, so a tour would be excellent news. A new album would be nice too

By the way, here are my friend's videos from the Wall show on Saturday (he had the seat directly to my right):
In The Flesh?
Another Brick Pt. 1/Happiest Days/Another Brick Pt. 2
The Ballad of Jean Charles de Menezes
Mother
Another Brick Pt. 3/Last Few Bricks/Goodbye Cruel World
Hey You
Bring The Boys Back Home/Comfortably Numb
The Show Must Go On/In The Flesh
Run Like Hell/Waiting For The Worms
Stop/The Trial
Outside The Wall
Thanks/Band Intros/Outside The Wall (reprise)

man, i totally regret not going after watching a couple of these
Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #12634
eGraham
¬cool

Nearly 4 months without a post? I am seriously disappointed
Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #12635
Kannibus

Quote:

I am as well, Pink Floyd went out in an instance.
Kannibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #12636
edgeyyz
I take out the trash

Quote:

Roger's touring The Wall again, so I'm sure it'll liven up again. And didn't he also mention new material not too long ago?
Old 11-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #12637
gabipe15

I'm a huge Floyd fan, but like someone said here, i'm tired of The Wall tribute, primary because Waters is the Wall, and i love Gilmour! Where the hell is Gilmour by the way????
I live in Argentina, he never came here, or at least since i've been musically involved, so what the hell i just ran down waiting, he'll never come here, and i'm tired of waters and the wall.
Wish Gilmour came to division bell tribute
gabipe15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #12638
eGraham
¬cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabipe15
I'm a huge Floyd fan, but like someone said here, i'm tired of The Wall tribute, primary because Waters is the Wall, and i love Gilmour! Where the hell is Gilmour by the way????
I live in Argentina, he never came here, or at least since i've been musically involved, so what the hell i just ran down waiting, he'll never come here, and i'm tired of waters and the wall.
Wish Gilmour came to division bell tribute

As far as I know, Mr. Gilmour has announced no plans to tour again. I sincerely hope he does, because he's the only performer living right now that I really want to see in a live concert.

And if he does tour, I hope it's multi-national and he doesn't keep all the good music for the Brits. And I hope I've enough money saved up to travel to wherever's necessary.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #12639
eGraham
¬cool

So it's been awhile since this thread saw any action

And since my last post, it has been "leaked" that Gilmour is, in fact, in the process of composing another album. Hopefully due out this year or next. Can't wait.

edit:

I was listening to The Division Bell the other day while mowing, and Poles Apart came on. It suddenly dawned on me that the song was about Waters.

I looked it up just now, and Polly Sampson said the first verse is about Syd, and the second about Roger. It blew my mind when I realized it lol.

Last edited by eGraham : 06-01-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:43 AM   #12640
dansatadmad

Yeah that wall concert/tour was completely brilliant. Best concert i have ever seen. Saw rogers Darkside tour and that was really good but nowhere near the walls production and this from a bloke that rates the wall as low as 5 on my fav floyd album ranking. Yet on stage it is untouchable.
egraham- the division bell is extremely underated. It doesn't quite fit in with their earlier works but is equally as good. Had they realeased it under another band name it would chart high on greatest album list imho.
dansatadmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: