Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Electric Guitar Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

 
Old 08-08-2003, 07:17 AM   #1
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
 
thebassmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
for your tuning questions

okay, the last one had about 15 or 16 different tunings in so steve merged it with the thread in the archive to keep them together and im going to start again..

the link to all the other tunings is here ......

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...&threadid=18162

and, fighter-pilot , i answered your question in there too

so if you have any more questions, or need help with a tuning, could you post it here please?

thanks

matt
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by Diminishedfaith

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
41. Been called a *****?yes, they rate me 5 stars...
46. Kissed someone in a moving vehicle?no, i dont have insurance
thebassmaster is offline  
Old 08-09-2003, 04:17 PM   #2
fighter_pilot
Hello Cobain, come on in.
 
fighter_pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: "...in the court of the Crimson King..."
hehe no question this time....just wanna say THANKS MAN!! u're a great help to us idiots lol

thanks matt
ciao
fighter_pilot is offline  
Old 08-14-2003, 09:32 PM   #3
Zamboni
is moist.
 
Zamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
yes, much thanks bassmaster.
__________________
-lovemike
http://www.myspace.com/ossiclesdubstep
Zamboni is offline  
Old 08-14-2003, 09:39 PM   #4
scroungemonkeys
Registered User
 
scroungemonkeys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
ok I now this one is kinda stupid, but I recently got the creed "weathered" book and some of the tunings throw me off mainly this one...

DADADD....

the thing is that the B string is tuned up to a D and I was wondering if it would be better to just switch strings so that there is less tension on the B string or what cuz I don't wanna like break a string while tuning that would be kinda embarissing...

any help is appreciated
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananajammin
wow

we need more of these givers of correct, thorough advice on UG
scroungemonkeys is offline  
Old 08-15-2003, 07:05 AM   #5
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
 
thebassmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by scroungemonkeys
ok I now this one is kinda stupid, but I recently got the creed "weathered" book and some of the tunings throw me off mainly this one...

DADADD....

the thing is that the B string is tuned up to a D and I was wondering if it would be better to just switch strings so that there is less tension on the B string or what cuz I don't wanna like break a string while tuning that would be kinda embarissing...

any help is appreciated


hmmmm well, tuning to d from b if 1 and a half steps up. if you dont want to do that, the only way is to tune to b, f#, b, f#, b, b ( dropped everything oone and half steps down, apart from the b string) and whack a capo on the third fret.

i have never tuned one and a half steps up before. i think ill try it now......... okay, i managed it fine and i tuned it to a d

play the 7th fret on low e and open a, then retune the low e string
play the 7th fret on d and open g, then retune the g string
play the 3rd fret on b and open e, then retunt the high e string
play open high e (now a d) and open b, then retune the b (im not guaranteeing responsibility for the string, i hardly ever drop tune, but it seemed okay when i try it)

ok, someone double check and point out if i have made any errors
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by Diminishedfaith

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
41. Been called a *****?yes, they rate me 5 stars...
46. Kissed someone in a moving vehicle?no, i dont have insurance
thebassmaster is offline  
Old 09-12-2003, 08:30 PM   #6
Tijy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Tuning in Drop D?

I would like to play sum linkin park songs but i dunno how the **** to tune it into Drop D tuning... ne ideas?

Yes, i know im an idiot
Tijy is offline  
Old 09-14-2003, 08:46 AM   #7
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
 
thebassmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
you mean D A D G B E ?

if so, play the 7th fret on the E string and open A and retune the E string till it sounds the same as the a string and hey presto.

enjoy
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by Diminishedfaith

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
41. Been called a *****?yes, they rate me 5 stars...
46. Kissed someone in a moving vehicle?no, i dont have insurance
thebassmaster is offline  
Old 10-07-2003, 02:59 AM   #8
cambo_Korn
UG Newbie
 
cambo_Korn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: vic,australia
I love to play metallica songs but i can't get the drop C tuning figured out, so i can't get the right sound at the moment. a little help please.......
__________________
"Oh God the anger's changing me"
cambo_Korn is offline  
Old 10-07-2003, 03:52 AM   #9
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
 
thebassmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
drop c (c g c f a d)

from normal tuning, play the third fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the third fret of e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e

play the seventh fret on your low e string and open a (which now should be g). detune the e till it sounds the same as the a string. the tuning should now be C G C F A D.
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by Diminishedfaith

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
41. Been called a *****?yes, they rate me 5 stars...
46. Kissed someone in a moving vehicle?no, i dont have insurance
thebassmaster is offline  
Old 10-08-2003, 01:20 AM   #10
cambo_Korn
UG Newbie
 
cambo_Korn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: vic,australia
Thanx allot mate!

Works like a treat
__________________
"Oh God the anger's changing me"
cambo_Korn is offline  
Old 10-09-2003, 12:40 PM   #11
dead_kennedy
Registered User
 
dead_kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Concrete City, England
hey, trying to get this dashboard song.

tuning: Db Ab Db Ab Db Db

could you help me out.

thankx
__________________
rites of nothing.
dead_kennedy is offline  
Old 10-09-2003, 12:57 PM   #12
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
 
thebassmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by dead_kennedy
hey, trying to get this dashboard song.

tuning: Db Ab Db Ab Db Db

could you help me out.

thankx


i can
















oh, you want me to do it for you?

Db Ab Db Ab Db Db

1)play the 4th fret on low e and open a, then retune the a string.
2)play the 7th fret on low e and open a, then retune the e string
3) play the 5th fret on a, and open d, then retune the d string.
4) play the 7th fret on your d and open g, then retune the g string
5)play the 5th fret on g, and open b, then retune the b string.
6)play open b and open high e then retune the high e string.

i take it the b and e are meant to be the same notes?

and could someone double check, or dead kennedy, after youve tried it, could you clarify it? thanks
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by Diminishedfaith

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
41. Been called a *****?yes, they rate me 5 stars...
46. Kissed someone in a moving vehicle?no, i dont have insurance
thebassmaster is offline  
Old 10-25-2003, 10:35 PM   #13
Apokryphos
The Perfekt Element
 
Apokryphos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
After looking all over this whole forum I can't find one of the more basic tunings....Eb Ab Db Gb Bb eb....Could someone please tell me how to get tuned to this?
Oh and I know tune it down half a step...but does that mean that I tune down to the 6th fret? With all the strings?
Should they sound almost the same as standard but a little heavier ?
__________________
Fender Standard Strat.
Behringer GMX212 V-Tone Amp
Digitech RP 500
Dunlop Picks
Ernie Ball Strings (Assorted)
Sure-Lock Strap
Apokryphos is offline  
Old 10-26-2003, 05:58 AM   #14
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
 
thebassmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
tuning down half a step (d# g# c# f# a# d#)

from normal tuning, play the forth fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then play the bottom e and the top e, and detune the top till it sounds the same as the bottom.


and you are half right with your suggestion. you can do it this way to.

1) play the sixth fret on E and open A, and retune the E.
2) tune the rest to the fifth fret(with the exception of b, which is the forth) starting from fifth on E and open A, then retune the A, fifth fret on A, then open D, then retune the d, fifth on d and open g, then retune the g, forth on g and open b, then retune the b, fifth on b and high e, then retune high e.


hope that helps
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by Diminishedfaith

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
41. Been called a *****?yes, they rate me 5 stars...
46. Kissed someone in a moving vehicle?no, i dont have insurance
thebassmaster is offline  
Old 10-26-2003, 04:17 PM   #15
dead_kennedy
Registered User
 
dead_kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Concrete City, England
Quote:
Originally posted by thebassmaster
hmmmm well, tuning to d from b if 1 and a half steps up. if you dont want to do that, the only way is to tune to b, f#, b, f#, b, b ( dropped everything oone and half steps down, apart from the b string) and whack a capo on the third fret.

i have never tuned one and a half steps up before. i think ill try it now......... okay, i managed it fine and i tuned it to a d

play the 7th fret on low e and open a, then retune the low e string
play the 7th fret on d and open g, then retune the g string
play the 3rd fret on b and open e, then retunt the high e string
play open high e (now a d) and open b, then retune the b (im not guaranteeing responsibility for the string, i hardly ever drop tune, but it seemed okay when i try it)

ok, someone double check and point out if i have made any errors


sorry man im a little new to new tunings, so do you tune down so its lower of tune up so its higher, then i will tell you if it works.

__________________
rites of nothing.
dead_kennedy is offline  
Old 10-26-2003, 04:38 PM   #16
FatKidsOnMopeds</3
my mind is a birdcage
 
FatKidsOnMopeds</3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: declaring war on nostalgia
Quote:
Originally posted by thebassmaster
i can

Db Ab Db Ab Db Db

1)play the 4th fret on low e and open a, then retune the a string.
2)play the 7th fret on low e and open a, then retune the e string
3) play the 5th fret on a, and open d, then retune the d string.
4) play the 7th fret on your d and open g, then retune the g string
5)play the 5th fret on g, and open b, then retune the b string.
6)play open b and open high e then retune the high e string.

i take it the b and e are meant to be the same notes?

and could someone double check, or dead kennedy, after youve tried it, could you clarify it? thanks


First, you will tune the top string. Tune that string to the lower octive using the 4th fret on your A string. That will tune your E to db. Then tune your 3rd sting to the next octive of Db. To tune your A string to Ab, tune it to the third sting. Now that you have the first 3 strings done now comes the easy part. Tune the 4th string to the same note as the third. Then the 5th and 6th strings to the next highest octive of db using your third db string.

thats from the dashboard site but matts is right to

that tuning kicks so much ****ing ass man!
FatKidsOnMopeds</3 is offline  
Old 11-02-2003, 01:37 AM   #17
shantfran
UG Newbie
 
shantfran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by thebassmaster
drop c (c g c f a d)

from normal tuning, play the third fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the third fret of e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e

play the seventh fret on your low e string and open a (which now should be g). detune the e till it sounds the same as the a string. the tuning should now be C G C F A D.


How would you do the drop C tunning with an automatic/electric tuner????,

Thanx!!!!
shantfran is offline  
Old 11-02-2003, 07:20 AM   #18
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
 
thebassmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by shantfran
How would you do the drop C tunning with an automatic/electric tuner????,

Thanx!!!!


i take it your tuning has the notes e a d g b e ?

well then.
1) play the 4th fret on the low e and tune that to e
2) play the second fret on the A string and tune that to A
3)play the second fret on the D string and tune that to D
4)play the second fret on the G string and tunen that to a G
5)play the second fret on the B string and tune that to a B
6)play the second fret on the high E sting and tune that to an E

C G C F A D.
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by Diminishedfaith

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
41. Been called a *****?yes, they rate me 5 stars...
46. Kissed someone in a moving vehicle?no, i dont have insurance
thebassmaster is offline  
Old 12-06-2003, 12:21 PM   #19
Minaret
Banned
 
Minaret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: !
how do you tune your lowest E string down to a D (Bass)
Minaret is offline  
Old 12-08-2003, 04:25 AM   #20
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again
 
thebassmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
play the 7th fret on your E and open A, like this

A---0-
E-7---

and then retune the e till it sounds the same as the A
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by Diminishedfaith

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
41. Been called a *****?yes, they rate me 5 stars...
46. Kissed someone in a moving vehicle?no, i dont have insurance
thebassmaster is offline  
 


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:42 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.