Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Music Theory Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-15-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
Guitar Guy21
Yea

Question How do you write your solos?

Hi everyone. I want to know how you write your solos. Do you just take a scale and just play notes from it or do you get ideas in your head.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2005, 10:04 PM   #2
CorpseSaint
UG Newbie

i dont often use scales to write solos (sure i do sometimes) but not alot i just find the root not and improv intill i think it sounds good.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
starálfur
coast to coast

usually i take a scale, or a key, and then just play around with it and see if i get some ideas that i like.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:05 PM   #4
Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
UG Playmate of the Year

both...

i either take a scale in key with the song n jack around with it

or i find the note progression on a different area of the guitar (preferably higher) and dick around with that a bit

for shredding........just do it lol
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Old 06-15-2005, 10:06 PM   #5
chocolatguitar
Banned

everytime anyone ask me this my response is the same-pentatonics, pentatonics......and maybe some....o wait i forgot to mention pentatonics.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
Guitar Guy21
Yea

thx for the replies
Old 06-15-2005, 10:07 PM   #7
MeGaDeth2314
Pudding time, children

I personally never play the same solo twice in a song. Its all just improv. for me. If I wanted to write one that I would use all the time (boring!) I would take a scale, say, A minor pentatonic or something (yeah, I know, its over used) and just play around with the notes until I found something I liked.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
thejester
Purveyor of Tone

im not sure if this is what you are asking but i usually listen to the rythym track that i have recorded and improv some solos over that. i figure out which one sounds the best, keep practicing till it sounds good then record it. hope that kinda helped. i always use scales with slight variation

Marshall Class5, Fender BJR NOS
Old 06-15-2005, 10:08 PM   #9
jumpmanhat
Korean Shred!!

I just go with key's and stuff like lots of other ppl said but my bassist says that singing it first is a good idea
Old 06-15-2005, 10:11 PM   #10
Buscubba
Mac Daddy Sheep

go with scales out of different keys, both major and minor scales, throw some arpeggios in there, and the pentatonic always sounds cool. i improv and mess around with those, throw them together and i have a solo. woo hoo

I only eat pebbles and wheatstalks. you should too.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:13 PM   #11
biohazardous59
i shot your sherrif

Location: standing on the corner of lafayette, state of louisiana, wondering what a city boy should do
on the fly

hahahahahahahahah........ its an oxymoron

Originally posted by backup and lead
Freelance and by Freelance i mean self employed and by selfemployed i mean im a bum
Old 06-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #12
Hypnot1st
Tap Master

on the fly, everytime. Usually, I find a chord I really like, then build a riff around it, then build a song which revolves around the riff and the mood. "Lenny" defines my entire style.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:44 PM   #13
RockThe40oz
Sucker-Punched By Christ

I like to use harmonic minor scales a lot for solos.. I also like to use unison bends and octaves in my solos.. maybe some double-stop old 50s rock style stuff thrown in there as well.. whatever comes to mind
Old 06-16-2005, 02:31 AM   #14
Homer Gibson
Boombadachi Bana

i play the notes in my head, sord of come up with a beat, then convert it to guitar, and improvise. this is the same thing i do with riffs too
Old 06-16-2005, 03:28 AM   #15
Resiliance
Acta est fabula

I improvise a solo in my head, which may or may not be technically possible for me to play, and then I try to remember it and write it down, and learn it.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:47 AM   #16
Grimey
The Guy Behind You

i always just do it improv, ye get better at it that way. i suppose ye can just play the pentatonic..over and over and over and over...but that SOUNDS SH*t! ye have to play over the chord changes, play the scale of each chord when its playin, its pretty easy, ye just have to learn your scales all over the neck. jazz is the bast way to learn to solo,cos most of it is soloin an ye learn all about chord changes an stuff.

Dont Steal : The Government hates competition.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:40 AM   #17
Captain Colon
Banned

Location: Hiding in your closet with a cactus and a big jar of lube. You're getting very sleepy...
I don't write solos
Old 06-16-2005, 08:58 AM   #18
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

i either improvise 100%, or i have a few phrases i really like and work with....

I use scales, but i also have a vague idea when to pop out of key and sound good (though i screw that up occasionally as almost everyone does) and i tend to try and use a few techniques, i dont like to do a solo with lots of sweeping mixed with more conventional playing, i cant quite get the techniques to blend yet. Oh, but i will, with the almighty lord of guitar skills - practice!
Old 06-16-2005, 09:05 PM   #19
Fattest_Albert
UG's Official Packmule!

what i use is scales and pentantonics and blues, but when i just wanna create something fast, loose, but with a rythm, i go with good ol' chromatic, but i mostly use scales or minor pentatonics, every now and then major, anymore help , you know where i am

COMING SOON!
Old 06-16-2005, 09:26 PM   #20
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

when writing a solo that i am going to use for a recording, i try to hear it first in my head and then try to play it on my guitar. i like to work out some sense of direction before i start, and then i go through it slowly on the guitar and write down sections i like. usually i end up with a beginning and an end that are pretty much set up note for note. and i also figure out when i want to move positions and change modes and such stuff. then i improvise filler sections that follow the guidelines i have set for myself. rarely do i ever write out an entire solo note for note, but i like to have at least some idea of where i am going.

now, if you want to know how i do solos in most of my songs, i just pick a couple scale positions and wing it. but i know where my root is and what interval i am moving most of the time, so i feel like i have some sense of direction anyway. and winging it is fun, especially when you are by yourself and can solo for as long as you want before going back into the song.

I have donated 3920 grains of rice!

Rate This Thread: