Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Music Theory Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-17-2005, 02:28 AM   #21
pavan
stunt guitar

improvise till it sounds good......

Last edited by pavan : 06-17-2005 at 02:31 AM.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:21 AM   #22
sixteen times
lightspeed champion

Re: How do you write your solos?

Quote:
Originally posted by Guitar Guy21
How do you write your solos?

I dont, I improvise- it's much easier, and in some respects, better.

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Laney VC15
Boss DS-1
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Old 06-17-2005, 11:04 AM   #23
cold_static544

I improvise when i feel like it. But when it comes to a recording, i usually think hard. That's because improvising for too long can make your playing stale. I use any scale, but mostly restricted to the most basic major modes, melodic, harmonic minor.

and its called distorting
Old 06-17-2005, 09:49 PM   #24
`NeXxuS`
The Moor

i use alot of stuff...

mainly i think about my target notes... and i choose a melodic passage to get from one tone, to the next to hit a chord well... when i chose my note, i usually either pick the root of the chord, or its 3rd... occasionally i use a 7th, as i think it sounds bad-ass...

basically to solo, you need to have dicked around with your scales enough to know how to make something sound melodic...

a couple other things i do are harmonics, generally i make them harmonize some chord tone.... and FR abuse... WOOO FR abuse... love it.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:03 PM   #25
guitarshark2099
UG's Heineken Lover

i agree with jof1029, i listen to what i wish the solo could be, fool around with the major pentatonic scale and try to figure out whats in my head

i also try to go around the guitar, an octive higher, or lower for the solo, and usually +3 -3 frets up to help harmonize the solo to the rythem
Old 06-17-2005, 10:05 PM   #26
guitarshark2099
UG's Heineken Lover

and yeah thats true, I just improvise, its too much time trying to 'write' one
Old 06-18-2005, 08:30 AM   #27
bobjewell87
Cause = time

Just improvise till i get something good as someone said above, but seeing as I'm the only guitarist in my band I have to work around that somehow. I.e. using double stops, soloing at the start of the song etc. Just so it doesnt sound as thin as going from full on chords to lead would sound. If that makes sense.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:33 AM   #28
Darklights
Wiccan

C'mon man.....it's a SOLO. You do it by yourself and don't ask other people for help. j/k
Old 06-18-2005, 10:00 AM   #29
Sadistic sponge
Holy Shmokes boy!

If i'm writing a solo that needs to play somthing, first i come up with a hook, which usually ends up being the beginning-the rest of the solo can just be filler stuff if you want.
Youve got to remember two things though-The rhytm controls you, not the other way around. And two-STAY IN KEY. A few chromatic notes are ok at times, but all the time is a huge huge huge mistake until you have the experience to know how to use chromatics effectively

New clips demonstrating the MT-2 and TS9 boosting are now online!
Old 06-18-2005, 02:34 PM   #30
chunkychewie

It seems that almost all of my solos are based on a theme then a repitition of the theme with variations. I don't plan on doing that every time, but it just sounds good to me. It's also nice for hte listener to have a theme or something to grab on to.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #31
VXD
The dog who gets beat

You have to feel it man. You have to be with the other musicians and you have to feel it in your bones, the mood, the melodies, the rythm...it all has to be put into consideration, then you use your head to think, you figure out the key so you don't sound off pitch then let the fingers rip...thats how i do it anyways.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:39 PM   #32
disuse_PUNK
Disuse Lead Guitarist

Pentatonics kinda get really old.....for me. How do u guys use pentatonics?
Old 06-19-2005, 01:11 PM   #33
agreth_3rd
The Wanderer

I usually just **** around until I come up with something that I like. It's not really a drawn out process.

Too many people live for the weekend.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:25 AM   #34
Punkarse
UG's Sarcastic Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by disuse_PUNK
Pentatonics kinda get really old.....for me. How do u guys use pentatonics?
Pentatonic substitution . I rarely use pentatonics in the key they're meant to be in.

Writing freezedried solos can be stale and uninteresting (one of the reasons I think Steve Vai is a bit of a dick[IMO]). Planning the structure of a solo is ok, but note for note...ugh...you might as well right a middle-eight and be done with it.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:29 AM   #35
Corwinoid
UG Monkey

How does that make him a dick? Just out of curiousity....

You do realize, at some point, the 'structure' and intended feel of a solo can get so complex that improvising something for it is kind of on the psychotic side?

Vai's not just shredding out scales when he plays either.
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Old 06-20-2005, 06:41 AM   #36
Punkarse
UG's Sarcastic Vigilante

^^Hmmm..., yes, I get your point, it's just that I really don't like it when people write out a solo note for note, and then play it, pretending they've improvd it on the spot.

There's nothing wrong with planning a few licks and runs to get you from A to B, but having the bulk of a solo planned so that you can play it without thinking - it turns me off. There's just something about passionate improvisation, something firey, something stinking. It can't be beaten.

There's no such thing as a structure being too complex. If the soloist knows the song well enough, any structure can be improvd over, complexity adds to the thrill. Anyway, I like psychotic solos...

As for my comments about Vai, that's just jealousy.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:31 AM   #37
Captain Colon
Banned

Location: Hiding in your closet with a cactus and a big jar of lube. You're getting very sleepy...
^ Sounds like you'd like tony macalpine's keyboard solo from vai's show at the astoria 100% improvised, but it really doesn't sound like it at all
Old 06-20-2005, 12:10 PM   #38
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie

record the backing and improvise over it many times and record all of them, and learn that recording (it's easy because you roughly know it)

^ punkarse, yeah it gives me a buzz to change the solo to part improvisation in front of an audience.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:20 PM   #39
power freak
Counting to infinity...

It depends on the song really. Most of the time I just improvise, but if the song needs some sort of structure I might write it and remember it.

To actually write it I've started to get more into "trad jazz" tendencies and disect every chord and think what notes will and won't sound good over it. I normally also throw in some "Coltrane-isms" just because he's the master.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:04 PM   #40
SilentDeftone
UG God

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Colon
^ Sounds like you'd like tony macalpine's keyboard solo from vai's show at the astoria 100% improvised, but it really doesn't sound like it at all
Really?

Quite a great musical moment!

-SD

College Dodgeball

Rate This Thread: