Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Music Theory Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-30-2005, 05:13 PM   #21
redwing_suck
Official UG "Do It" Ref

Quote:
Originally posted by jmc89
they CAN be dominant but they dont have to be
The inherent tension in the progression makes them all dominant. Every part of the song, bassline, piano, etc. makes them all dominant. Show me a song where all of the chords are maj7 and it's 12-bar blues, and show me how and why.

You won't, or at least you won't find one that teaches us anything.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:19 PM   #22
jmc89
Banned

I didn't say anything about maj7. I said they ALL don't have to be dominant 7th chord, the most basic progressions use 135 maj chords too without the b7.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:26 PM   #23
John Swift

Quote:
Originally posted by epacers7
hes completely right the r usually dominant 7s but u can use major chords too my guitar teacher was telling me about it seeing as he plays predominantly blues
I've played blues for over forty years and invariably they are played on Major chords, I've discussed, with musos in the two blues bands that I regularly gig with, this obsession that people on this site seem to have with 7ths, they are as mystified as I am as to where this all comes from, the 7th is used but usualy on bar four as a transition to IV and bar twelve V.
Too many times on this forum do people with very little actual playing experience behind them pass opinions when the have little or no practical working knowledge on the subject that they are claiming to be conversant with!
I know that this post will upset some people but to anyone who answers will they please indicate their actual experience and how long they have been playing blues, I play in four bands two of which are predominantly blues and the other two play some blues in their sets.
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 06-30-2005, 05:28 PM   #24
jmc89
Banned

http://www.torvund.net/guitar/Blues...ntroduction.asp

you'll see they don't have to be all dominant 7ths
Old 06-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #25
Zamboni
is moist.

Quote:
Originally posted by slash_pwns
It does :\

Its just a standard thing, though.

Yeah, it's a great riff. Very versatile.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:26 PM   #26
renato
are you feelin' lucky?

how very interesting this thread is, you learn all sorts on this forum; i'd agree with the all chords need to be dominant, if you use the IVmaj7, or even the Imaj7 the tone is much more 'sweet' and loses the jaggedness of blues. But then again, as john swift points out, there's a stange obsession with 7ths here. Its probably cause we all want to show we're beyond diads and tirtone chords and are entering the world of chord voicings.. so humor us please.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:33 PM   #27
Zamboni
is moist.

Quote:
Originally posted by John Swift
I've played blues for over forty years and invariably they are played on Major chords, I've discussed, with musos in the two blues bands that I regularly gig with, this obsession that people on this site seem to have with 7ths, they are as mystified as I am as to where this all comes from, the 7th is used but usualy on bar four as a transition to IV and bar twelve V.
Too many times on this forum do people with very little actual playing experience behind them pass opinions when the have little or no practical working knowledge on the subject that they are claiming to be conversant with!
I know that this post will upset some people but to anyone who answers will they please indicate their actual experience and how long they have been playing blues, I play in four bands two of which are predominantly blues and the other two play some blues in their sets.

I believe that you are under the impression that experience somehow correlates directly with knowledge. This is not so. Sure you may be an experienced blues player, that doesn't mean you know shit from shinola about music theory.

The implied tonality of all 12-bar blues progressions is dominant. I'm sorry if you require a little side-note to tell you that, but a musical ear picks that up almost instantly.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:30 PM   #28
renato
are you feelin' lucky?

How agressive.. does that make you feel better? perk you up a bit... i know that many of us have shít dayjobs, and being an ice cleaner really got to suck. but again, was that necessary?
Old 06-30-2005, 09:42 PM   #29
slash_pwns
I'm baaaaaack

You can go and play major chords, but you should really atleast have the V7.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:47 AM   #30
redwing_suck
Official UG "Do It" Ref

For the record, my "all maj7" reference was to the thread starter. I inadvertantly linked that sentence with my response to the jmc89.

I will do myself a favor and not chime in because either way there are people here who have known blues longer than I've been alive. I'd rather not turn it into a full-fledged bout of the theory-knowers that it shouldn't ever be.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:06 AM   #31
John Swift

Quote:
You can go and play major chords, but you should really atleast have the V7.
Read my thread bar 12 the turnaround, overuse of the 7th chord is a waste and bad practise.
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 07-01-2005, 08:07 AM   #32
slash_pwns
I'm baaaaaack

^Well then I guess I'll be practicing bad for the rest of my life becsue I like seventh chords...
Old 07-01-2005, 08:12 AM   #33
casualty01
Here all along

and most bluesmen as well slash..

Cas-

Don't be an idiot... click and find out.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:42 AM   #34
John Swift

Quote:
Originally posted by casualty01
and most bluesmen as well slash..

Cas-

Most bluesmen where?, I didn't notice this in Memphis or Nashville, or back in England. I didn't notice much evidence of overloading with 7th chords on my recording of the 'Beale St blues Band' either.
Recently I've teamed up with Joe Cocker's old UK guitarist we discussed a certain guitarist for 2nd guitar,
Quote:
I'm not having him he just keeps sticking in frigging 7th chords everywhere
. was my mates response.
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 07-01-2005, 12:11 PM   #35
slash_pwns
I'm baaaaaack

I could really care less about experience with blues bands, age, experience with guitar, thoery and all that stuff, but you can't change my mind (or anyone elses, for that matter) about the 7th chords.

IMO my dominant 7th chords in blues > Your Major (As Captain Colon would say, "Major pice of shit chords") chords.

Why you prefer major chords... Is beyond me.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:34 PM   #36
Zamboni
is moist.

Swift, just quit while you're behind.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:16 PM   #37
John Swift

Quote:
I could really care less about experience with blues bands, age, experience with guitar, thoery and all that stuff, but you can't change my mind (or anyone elses, for that matter) about the 7th chords.IMO my dominant 7th chords in blues > Your Major (As Captain Colon would say, "Major pice of shit chords") chords.
Why you prefer major chords... Is beyond me.
I never mentioned theory I leave that to all the lounge so-called musos who spend most of their music life pontificating on this forum about this scale and that, this mode and that mode etc etc etc then when you ask them where they gig they tell you that they have a gig coming up in August (they don't say which August) or I did one last month and I've another in 3 months time, but I know my scales and 7ths though.
What I said is fact from where I play, if you couldn't care less about my experience that's up to you I wouldn't care to teach a blinkered bigot such as you anyway and that would be your loss as I certainly have nothing to learn from you.
As Renato pointed out why this obsession with 7ths why the agression when someone says something against what you have have mistakenly been lead to believe.
slash_pwns & Zamboni being rude to people is just a way of showing that you have no point to discuss.
Get out and get some time and grime on your instruments before coming on and acting like know-alls.
Tonight in a couple of hours I will playing one of my three gigs this weekend I will also be playing next Tuesday and Wednesday,
where will you be playing?

12 bar blues 3 bars Cmajor + 1 Bar C7, 2 bars Fmajor, 2 bars Cmajor, 1 bar G7, 1 bar Fmajor, 1 bar Cmajor, 1 bar G7.

300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 07-01-2005, 01:23 PM   #38
Zamboni
is moist.

Quote:
I never mentioned theory I leave that to all the lounge so-called musos who spend most of their music life pontificating on this forum about this scale and that, this mode and that mode etc etc etc then when you ask them where they gig they tell you that they have a gig coming up in August (they don't say which August) or I did one last month and I've another in 3 months time, but I know my scales and 7ths though.
What I said is fact from where I play, if you couldn't care less about my experience that's up to you I wouldn't care to teach a blinkered bigot such as you anyway and that would be your loss as I certainly have nothing to learn from you.
As Renato pointed out why this obsession with 7ths why the agression when someone says something against what you have have mistakenly been lead to believe.
slash_pwns & Zamboni being rude to people is just a way of showing that you have no point to discuss.
Get out and get some time and grime on your instruments before coming on and acting like know-alls.
Tonight in a couple of hours I will playing one of my three gigs this weekend I will also be playing next Tuesday and Wednesday,

12 bar blues 3 bars Cmajor + 1 Bar C7, 2 bars Fmajor, 2 bars Cmajor, 1 bar G7, 1 bar Fmajor, 1 bar Cmajor, 1 bar G7.

I didn't consider my posts to you rude, but now I'm going to intentionally be rude because you, sir, have it coming, and I think you need to hear this from a "blinkering bigot, know-all" as you so eloquently stated.
I don't give a flying **** if you have 12 "gigs" a week, that doesn't mean you know shit about your instrument, or your field.
I, sir, play my guitar, on average, upwards of 3-4 hours a day, and I consider myself a good player. I also know music theory. And it is my experience that people who disrespect musical theorists are generaly too ignorant to learn the theory themselves.
So you go play your smelly bar gigs with your burnt out, old, shitty blues band, and I'll continue playing, learning, and studying music theory, and actually make something of myself.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:52 PM   #39
John Swift

Quote:
Originally posted by Zamboni
I, sir, play my guitar, on average, upwards of 3-4 hours a day, and I consider myself a good player. I also know music theory. And it is my experience that people who disrespect musical theorists are generaly too ignorant to learn the theory themselves.So you go play your smelly bar gigs with your burnt out, old, shitty blues band, and I'll continue playing, learning, and studying music theory, and actually make something of myself.

For your information my dear sir I did study for several years including 2 years at a top music academy in London England.
As I said I've met and ignored lounge musos like you many times down the years.
You will just wake up one day and wonder why you spent so much time practising, you only become a musician when you are performing you learn your theory at home and put it into practise on stage as I did.
You may think that you are a good player but that is just your opinion, praise from recognised musicians is what counts, and I don't mean Lounge/Garage musuos I mean gigging musos.
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 07-01-2005, 01:56 PM   #40
redwing_suck
Official UG "Do It" Ref

Quote:
In one of my three gigs this weekend.

I respect you for your experience but when it comes to something as simple as this, I can't see why your view, which is different from everyone else's, is infallible.

Rate This Thread: