Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Music Theory Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-12-2005, 09:33 AM   #1
Matt_Malmsteen
Shred n00b

Unhappy This is ssooo stupid

This is going to song like the stupidest thing ever but;

How the hell does a metrenome work?

I've just decided to start practising with a metrenome(read thats its good to) but the thing is, I don't get how it works, are you supposed to play on the clicks or inbetween? and if in between, how many notes??

Damn I'm so stupid...
Old 07-12-2005, 09:44 AM   #2
Trapman870
Forever Learning

you play on the beats

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Old 07-12-2005, 09:44 AM   #3
sealab89

the clicks are the whole notes like if you have it on 120 it will play 120 clicks per minute. When it doesn't play are the offbeats. you can play on those too, depending on what you want to play. Or you can play on the clicks and the not clicks if you want to play eighth notes.... i don't know what else to say... buy a book or something
One more tonight
Old 07-12-2005, 10:02 AM   #4
Matt_Malmsteen
Shred n00b

Whaddaya mean do I play on the beats if its 4s, on and inbetween beats if its 8s and if I'm right someone will have to explin 16ths to me!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 10:36 AM   #5
Punkarse
UG's Sarcastic Vigilante

Well, start by playing on the beat: it ticks 1.....2......3.....4, and on every tick, you play, trying to get it on time on every tick. We can assume you're playing crotchets here (4's). Then stick and extra note in between each tick - so the metronome's ticking 1.....2....3....4, and every second note you play is on the tick. This is quavers (8ths). Semi's (16ths) are the tick occuring every 4 notes you play, demi's (32nds) every 8 notes, hemi's (64ths) every 8.

Another easy exercise in feels is to play triplets, so that the tick occurs every third note you play, swung 8ths and swung 16ths.

Remember - the gap between the notes you play is constantly even, so as you increase from crotchets to quavers, you double the speed exectly. Metronome practice is to hepl you stay in time. Don't wory if you find it hard first time. Practice, and you will improve.

Sorry this has been a bit scattered and poorly typed, I'm ina bit of a rush...
Old 07-12-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
Zamboni
is moist.

Quote:
Originally posted by Punkarse
crotchets quavers semi's demi's hemi's

You Englishmen and your weird note names .

-Mike
Old 07-12-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
P. Townshend
Won't Get Fooled Again

Think of the clicks as whenever you bob your head to a song. Then just play along to it like that, that's the easiest way I can think to explain it.

www.myspace.com/thesidecurtains

Feedback very appreciated
Old 07-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #8
hendrixnpage
THE UG Newbie

your completly right!!!
this is soooooo stupid

oh, and by the way, a metronome helps you keep time, by beeping. eights are double as fast as the beep, so therby you should manage to play eight notes pr bar. same whith 16ths, that are double as fast as eights
HP

peavy rage 158.

jimmy page rocks and if you can not acept that you do NOT rock
Old 07-12-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
renato
are you feelin' lucky?

A metronome is an ancient babylonian device used to hypnotise women to have sex with you. Julius ceaser reportedly used one before bedding cleopatra... i might be wrong, thought.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:17 AM   #10
Matt_Malmsteen
Shred n00b

HHmmmm so by using a metrenome on chicks..HHmmmm.....how will that my guitar playing though..??
Old 07-13-2005, 07:03 AM   #11
eastern_riffs
UG Psychologist

^^Well these days guys play guitars to impress the girls.Once they get the girl however they dump the strings in the trash can.So if they used a metronome they wouldn't dump their guitars,would they?

And that is the dumbest thing that ever hit the world.

Anyways,as for the metronome,it is used for keeping in to time.If you make it 60 bpm,you're playing 1 beat a second.If you play 120 bpm,you play 2 beats a second.And so on..

Well,there are a lot of good things by getting your timing correct,like when you play in a band you dont mess up.You can also improve your timing by playing in a band,however.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:04 AM   #12
radiantmoon
UGs king kong slayer

for me i just feel it!! like how u subconsciously can tap ur foot to a song!! dnt worry too much and just feel it just tap ur foot with the metronome and try to just get a feel for the time, believe me it not as hard as it sounds
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:47 AM   #13
redrider37

keep it simple stupid

I am sooo glad you asked that question about metronomes. I wanted to know that as well but did'nt dare ask. Answers really helped.

Pete
Old 07-13-2005, 09:44 AM   #14
Matt_Malmsteen
Shred n00b

I do actually play in a band, but the drummer has only been playing for like a fortnight..well thanx for explaining metrenomes to me, I think I've kinda got it...
Old 07-13-2005, 10:01 AM   #15
ThisPerishedMin
UG Board King

i believe i may go out and get me one of these beasts since it now does make sense.....never bought one cuz i never exactly how it would be counted out lol. (i keep time with the foot method...sadly....my foot sucks vaccuum style)
Old 07-13-2005, 10:09 AM   #16
DorkusMalorkus
Here, Queer, etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zamboni
You Englishmen and your weird note names .

-Mike

I think that is the original name for them from where ever music theory came from. So not neccessarily english.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:24 AM   #17
Zamboni
is moist.

Quote:
Originally posted by DorkusMalorkus
I think that is the original name for them from where ever music theory came from. So not neccessarily english.

Oh for sure. I think those was the original names.

Maybe I should've ended my post with [/sarcasm]

Rate This Thread: